September 2013 Moms
Options

Families part in scheduled induction

MrsH8611MrsH8611 member
edited September 2013 in September 2013 Moms
So I will be getting induced Monday at 39 weeks and we have made it clear that no one needs to be there when I go in at 7am besides my husband and I seeing how typical inductions take forever and in my case most likely it will ( per my OB and she says it's typical he won't be born until Tuesday in the AM), but a lot of family still want to show up at 7 am when I am scheduled to go in. Some want to sit there all day knowing they won't be coming in the room (their choice so isn't a big deal I just feel bad they will be sitting there all day) and others have their mind set that they will be in and out visiting me while I'm in labor. Not happening. 

So what does family do during inductions? Come sit and wait? Wait for a phone call saying I'm close then show up? Or get a call announcing the newest addition is here and we are ready for visitors? Obviously if it's 2 am that call will wait except for the new grandma and grandpa's. I'm trying not to offend family about coming or not coming up to the hospital when I know they are excited too, but trying to keep the experience special for my husband and I seeing how he doesn't want to leave my side. Any advice?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Families part in scheduled induction

• Options
    I was induced, and I swore my parents and siblings to secrecy about it since I didn't want to deal with other family members and friends. They were told that we would call them when LO was born and then again when they could come visit. 

It didn't really go down like that, but it was fine. I was induced because they were worried about DD's growth, and when DH texted my mom to tell her I was fully dilated, she was actually out to lunch near the hospital, so she decided to just go and wait in the waiting room. My dad showed up a little later, but I never even knew they were there until I got to the PP room. DH was worried it would upset me while I was still in labor, so he didn't say anything. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    That's sounds amazing. But my MIL has a big mouth and a very active facebook and decided to let the world know despite asking all internet announcing cease to exist regarding baby. It's our first baby so let's just say my mom was pissed when she found out what my MIL did. So now to juggle the rest of everyone! Glad your mom was close by!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My family lives out of town so we don't really have to worry about them. With my husband's family, we told them the day we'll be induced but not the time. We made sure to explain how long inductions can take, and let them know that they would get a call as soon as he's here. They live like 15 min from the hospital, so they're fine with coming over when we give them the go-ahead.
  • Options
    Our parents all came to town for my first induction.  I went in at night for cervadil and they visited a few times the next day to bring DH food and just stayed.  I really didn't want them around and FIL drove me crazy.  Once my water broke and things started moving along they weren't allowed.  We told them in advance not to wait at the hospital and it was a good thing since I pushed so long.  MIL wanted to go to the hospital to see how things were progressing at 3am but fortunately texted my mom and my mom was able to deter her.  DD was born at 5:29am and we told them all to wait until we were moved and settled in our room.  I think they came around 8:30am when we gave them the all clear.  

This time we invited my mom to come to town to watch DD and ILs have decided to come to stay the night before.  I am really annoyed by this and don't want them in town.  I am worried they are going to want to hang out with us and have asked my mom to run interference.  Hopefully they will all stay busy hanging out with DD1 and leave us alone.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I had good advice for you. I made the mistake of telling everyone when I was going in. I had 10 people in my room for 6 hours of labor. Then I we tried to push and not everyone left. Then I was told I needed a c section and everyone found it necessary to come talk to me individually. I just didn't have the energy (or nerve) to yell at them and make them leave.

Next time I will NOT say a word. But it will most likely be a schedules c/s anyway.
  • Options
    We had no one at the hospital and definitely no one in my room. Our families are 2-4 hours away, anyway, but there's no way in hell I'd have anyone in my room during any part of labor other than DH.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I wasn't induced last time, but I had an epidural, and if that's your plan and it works, you actually may not have a problem with people visiting with you while you labor. My parents came and sat with us and chatted while labor progressed. I didn't feel any contractions through the epidural, and was actually more comfortable than I'd been in months during pregnancy. It was just sitting around, waiting, for all of us. They stepped out for all my checks, and went to the waiting room when it was time to push, but it was no big deal to have them around while I progressed from 5cm to 10cm.
    Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    For us, this time and my first induction, our parents came around noon on the day of the delivery. My first was an overnight induction, this time was morning induction.

With the first, I'd had my epi and was up for company. This time, no epi till the bitter end, but no pain either, so I didn't mind them, but this time I also felt more responsible for taking so long, feeling guilty that they were all waiting around for so long etc.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm being induced in the morning (so long as they don't push it back again) and only a couple of friends and our parents know. I've told them that no one will be in the room until after we have time to bond with LO. They've all opted to not wait in the waiting room, but that was their choice. We've asked to not be texted/called throughout the day and DH will send out updates every couple of hours. Also, no posting anything on Facebook until we have announced his birth.

Now we'll see if my mom will actually stick to the plan. Lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced with #1. Both sets of parents live out of town, so they spent most of their time at the hospital, but I went in at 4p and had DD at 845a the next morning, so they didn't get the opportunity to hang around too long due to evening hours. I will also be induced next week with #2. Same situation with the parents not living here, but they will be in and out anyway as we don't want DD hanging out at the hospital all day.
  • Options
    I had no desire for anyone but my H to be in the room or at the hospital, and everyone was good about that request. It took for freaking ever, and I didn't need to play hostess. Stick to your guns!
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Options
    I don't like my hospital that much, but I'm pretty grateful at least that their policy is to only allow two visitors during the labor and delivery, and it has to be the same two people the whole time. I only want DH there (maybe my mom, but not for the pushing), so it's so much easier to just say "sorry, hospital policy!" Same goes for visiting after being moved to recovery. Only two people at a time (though this time it doesn't have to be the same two people, but the spouse does count as one) and the visiting hours don't start until 1pm for grandparents, and 2pm for everyone else.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • Options
    Our induction was at 4 am and we told our parents (mainly moms!) that they were more than welcome to come to the hospital & waste their day if they wanted OR we could call to let them know when DS was born. We opted for the two hour bonding time after he was born so they literally sat in the waiting room! The moms & my sister were in and out during labor but it was okay with me because it kept me distracted!
    **Proud Mommy to Elijah Douglas**
          **Angel baby August 2010**
      **Proud Mama of two furbabies**
  • Options
    they should have to wait for a call when you're done or extremely close. And if you're "extremely close" they should have to wait way away from your room (our hospital has like two levels of waiting rooms that you can authorize people to be in, in case you really don't want them to be nearby! haha)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"