Pregnant after 35

Anyone not do progesterone for each pregnancy?

Hello.  Help calm my nerves.  My story:  I'm 37 with a 7 and 5 year old.  Before having them, I had two miscarriages (one at 6 weeks with a blighted ovum and the other at 8 weeks - 6 weeks heartbeat, went back at 8 and no heartbeat).  Went to high risk doc who did extensive blood work and decided to put me on progesterone the next time I got pregnant.  So I got pregnant with my now 7 year old and started progesterone right away until about 12 weeks....all went well.  Did same for my now 5 year old.  Fast forward till now and I got pregnant which we are nervous and excited as we were on the fence about having a 3rd.  A few months back I went to my obgyn and said we may try for a 3rd.  He knew my history and said I'd rather you now see a fertility doctor based on your past history of early miscarriages and options and such can change in 5 years.  So I went to a fertility doc and he ran some tests and said I was okay to try and pregnant naturally.  So here we are.  I am 5 weeks, 4 days and he tested my progesterone twice and also I had a sono today which looks good.  So far, gestation sac and yolk sac is there which is appropriate for this stage.  He knows my history and I mentioned me going on progesterone but he said my levels look good right now and does not like to supply progesterone if it's not needed.  He will have them shipped to me if needed and for now will watch me weekly with ultrasounds.  I just feel like god for bid something happens and it's too late when I should have been put on prog.  I don't know.   My husband told me to have faith and believe in what he is telling me.  Your opinion or stories?  Thanks a lot :)

Re: Anyone not do progesterone for each pregnancy?

• I should also mention that I have the mthfr mutation which makes me nervous too.  It's mild whatever that means but my 5 year old is developmentally delayed and I can't help but think can it be because of this mutation.  There are so many conflicting theories out there.
  • I also have MTHFR, two mutations, and a history of early loss. My RE wanted me to take progesterone with this pregnancy even though my levels were fine with my betas. Both he and my OB/GYN felt it was better to be cautious and certainly wouldn't hurt anything. I took the suppositories through week 11. I also take a prenatal with whole food sourced folate rather than folic acid, and extra folate every day and I take baby aspirin. All I know is that this is my sixth pregnancy and the first time I ever made it past first tri. I am 30 weeks with a very healthy baby girl. I wouldn't change a thing. Do we know the progesterone helped me? No way to know. But I'm glad I took it.

If you feel very strongly about this you should voice your concerns. If your RE won't listen maybe your OB/GYN will. This is your pregnancy and you have to advocate for yourself.

I understand completely about the confusion of MTHFR. When I was TTC and I found out I had the mutations I frantically tried to find out everything I could about it and I was just certain it had caused my losses. The truth is, there is a great debate about whether it's even relevant and currently doctors completely disagree. I finally had to take a deep breath and decide that I would do what I could and that's all I could do. Maybe it contributed to my losses, maybe not. I just wasn't willing to take any chances.

Best of luck to you. I hope you and your dr can come to a decision you both feel comfortable with.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • P.S. I am very sorry for your losses and happy you were able to have two successful pregnancies. I hope this will be sticky bean number three!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Hi,

I am so sorry about your losses :(  I absolutely agree with everything the PP stated.  

I also experienced two early losses with normal P4 levels (taking no supplements.)  I am now 7w4d with a lovely HB of 150bpm- when I had my third beta and last P4 level drawn of 47, I asked my RE if he would prescribe me Prometrium even though I was producing progesterone naturally.  He sent in the Rx without hesitation and said there is absolutely no harm in my taking supplements even though my lab work suggested I did not need it.   I have been taking the supplements for over one month and will continue to take them until 12 weeks.  I have to believe that the supplements coupled with one baby aspirin a day are making the difference for this pregnancy. 

Good luck to you! 
    Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

• What milligrams of baby aspirin are you on?  80mg?  I don't recall taking that with my last pregnancies but again that was 5 and 7 years ago so I could have just forgotten.  You take one daily?

Thank you so much for your replies.  I appreciate it and good luck to us all!!  :)

• I'm sorry for your losses. I take progesterone but this is an FET pregnancy. I just wanted to say that I take one baby aspirin a day, as well. That's 81 mg.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I understand your stress.  The MTHFR and the progesterone are not related.  With MTHFR you need to be on HIGH doses of folic acid.  I was on 1000mg which was in my prenatal vitamin and Folgard which is a prescription with high doses folic acid.  I believe about 3000mg, in addition to the 1000mg in the prenatal vitamin.   I was also on 81mg Aspirin until 36 weeks pregnant.  If your progesterone levels are normal then you don't need to supplement with Progesterone.  There is no relation between the Progesterone and MTHFR.  Hope the helps. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • What milligrams of baby aspirin are you on?  80mg?  I don't recall taking that with my last pregnancies but again that was 5 and 7 years ago so I could have just forgotten.  You take one daily?

Thank you so much for your replies.  I appreciate it and good luck to us all!!  :)

I take an 81 mg aspirin every day. This isn't something you want to do without discussing with your doctor however. This would be a risk for people with certain conditions so you need to make sure your doctor approves. And it's something that has to be taken into consideration as you near your DD. In order to get an epidural you have to be off the aspirin for at least a week. My doctor will have me stop taking it at 38 weeks because they want to induce me at 39 weeks if I don't go naturally by then.

• Do you mean 1000 mcg and 3000 mcg??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"