May 2014 Moms
Options

Are these organic sausages okay to eat? They say no added nitrates...

Does anyone know if these are considered safe to eat while pregnant?

https://www.applegate.com/products/organic-fire-roasted-red-pepper-sausage

On the package, it says something to the effect of "No nitrates other than those naturally occurring in salt"

Re: Are these organic sausages okay to eat? They say no added nitrates...

• Options
    Applegate Farms are the only hot dogs I will eat while pregnant since they have no nitrates, so I say have at it!  I'm sure the sausage is good, the hot dogs are slammin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Options
    Does it say something about celery salt or any other celery product added? If so, they are nitrates...just naturally occurring ones. People get scared of nitrates, so organic food companies advertise products as "no nitrates" by adding naturally occurring nitrates (usually from celery). The problem is, the naturally-occurring nitrates are not as "strong"  or pure as nitrates created in a lab, so companies have to add way more of them. You are actually getting way more "nitrates" in products that label as "no nitrates added." Unfortunately, these products are marketed in a way that it is virtually impossible to figure out unless you work in the industry (my DH has a Ph.D. in the area so he understands it)

By the way, the reason nitrates are added to packaged foods are to prevent botulism, a toxic infection. Though nitrates aren't good for you either, a small amount of nitrates is way less harmful to you than the risk of dying from botulism. I say everything in moderation, and you should be fine. Hope this helps!
    Charlotte June, Born May 29, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just eat them.  Yumm.  I want some of the applegate apple maple sausages now
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options
    Yep, anything Applegate is good in my book. In general, I try to stay away from anything with dyes, preservatives and ingredients I cannot pronounce, but especially while pregnant :)

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options
    poppysmompoppysmom member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks, ladies!

kramja01, I don't see anything about celery - just salt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"