December 2013 Moms

Too small fundal height?

jaclynnejaclynne member
edited September 2013 in December 2013 Moms
I went to see my family doctor today and she was feeling my uterus with her hands. She didn't use a tape measurer, but based on my belly button, she says I'm only measuring 20 weeks (I am actually 25 weeks). She is worried the baby isn't growing properly and referred me to book an ultrasound right away. In tears and panic, I begged my midwife to let me come in to see them. They measured me and the measurement they got (with an actual tape measurer) was a bit better, but still not where it should be. I have been trying to feel for the top of my uterus and can't really feel it or know what I'm feeling for. I've been crying for 2 hours and I'm so worried. If the top of my uterus really is still at the belly button level, does that mean only 20 weeks? Or could the length of my torso play a role in this? Have any of you had experience with the fundal length being too short/small? 4-5 cms off just seems like much too much. I have an ultrasound tomorrow to check for growth, but I am driving myself crazy with worry and would appreciate anyone's insight. Thank you in advance.

Re: Too small fundal height?

• Don't worry just yet. I'm not for sure at how accurate those measurement things are...I would wait until the ultrasound to start getting concerned.

edited September 2013

I am sorry you are going through this. Please take your hands out of your vagina though! There is NO way for you to know what is going on in there and there is definitely no way for us to know. The only way to really know growth is to get an ultrasound. You are going to have to wait it out until tomorrow. Did you have an A/S?? If the baby looked on target at 20 weeks, I don't see why at 25 weeks it would be showing 20 weeks. Try to stay calm and rest up until your appointment. Good luck.  

eta: I read this wrong. I thought you were putting your hands in your vag. Now rereading it, I think I read it wrong. Either way, stop measuring and trying to do it yourself. Ultrasounds are always 100x more accurate.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Do you feel baby move ?
    Also how many cms was you? I will compare to my notes cos my midwife says baby is growing well
  • leahraewkuleahraewku member
    edited September 2013
    I have a long torso and a high belly button. I can feel the top of my uterus, and it's right at my belly button (I'm 26 weeks). I wouldn't freak out too much (easier said than done, I know). When is your ultrasound? Hopefully, you don't have to wait too long for answers.
    ETA: duh, you said it's tomorrow.
    imageimageimageimage
  • MEP923 said:

I am sorry you are going through this. Please take your hands out of your vagina though! There is NO way for you to know what is going on in there and there is definitely no way for us to know. The only way to really know growth is to get an ultrasound. You are going to have to wait it out until tomorrow. Did you have an A/S?? If the baby looked on target at 20 weeks, I don't see why at 25 weeks it would be showing 20 weeks. Try to stay calm and rest up until your appointment. Good luck.  

eta: I read this wrong. I thought you were putting your hands in your vag. Now rereading it, I think I read it wrong. Either way, stop measuring and trying to do it yourself. Ultrasounds are always 100x more accurate.

i think she meant the top of the uterus, on her belly.......

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• First off, relax and breathe

Next, measuring like that isn't 100% accurate

If its IUGR - not the end of the world.  My 34 week IUGR baby is now 3.5 and at the park playing with, and keeping up with, 5/6/7 year olds

Could not be IUGR and be low AF which isn't the end of the world

Try to not freak out  :-)

• no hands entered my vagina... This was all based from feeling around my belly.
  • The height of your belly button with respect to your torso will vary from person to person, so I wouldn't rely on that alone...it is weird to me that your family doc told you that you were "measuring" small when she didn't actually measure.  The measurement from the top of your pubic bone to the top of your uterus itself, in centimeters, is apparently supposed to equal your weeks of pregnancy (25 weeks should = 25cm).  I wouldn't worry yourself sick over it though, because like you said, it can be hard to find the exact height of your uterus in a squishy belly (and this is saying nothing about the amount of fat a person has).  My (non-medical) GUESS is that the position of your uterus and baby could affect the measurement by a couple centimeters.

Try to stay calm and hold out for the actual ultrasound!  Sending positive vibes that all is well!
  • MEP923MEP923 member
    edited September 2013
    booty19 said:
    MEP923 said:

i think she meant the top of the uterus, on her belly.......

Yea I edited it right away. My son is talking in my ear nonstop. My bad.

I still think ultrasounds are much more accurate. What I was trying to ask was the baby showing normally at your A/S because that would have only been about 5 weeks ago.

eta: Sorry if I came off snarky because I really didn't mean to. Just trying to look at the positive of it if you were measuring good a few weeks ago. I really do wish you a lot of luck.  

imageimage

• Try not to stress.  At around 12 weeks I went to the OB and ended up seeing one that isn't my normal one.  He said my uterus didn't feel like a 12 wk uterus and sent me for an u/s to make sure it was a viable pregnancy.  He used those words and I was so upset.  I had to keep telling myself not to cry in the waiting room.  I only had to wait about 30 minutes for mine since they have the ultrasounds in their office and everything was perfect.  LO was measuring correctly.

Try your best not to stress out tonight.  FX that everything is okay.

• There's many reasons to be measuring behind. I measured behind with my first 2, and had so many growth sonograms. Everything was fine at the u/s, so it was just the way the babies were positioned, and I just carry small. For example, with my 2nd baby, I measured 26 at 32 weeks! The next day I went in for an u/s, everything was fine, and they measured again and I was 30. Clearly I didn't grow 4cm over night. So baby was just positioned weird the day before. At 39 weeks, I measured 34. DS was 7lbs7oz, and DD 7lbs1oz.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thinking of you.  Try not to stress, you will know more tomorrow.  I think it was just an improper measurement.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I hope everything is fine! Try to calm down. At least laugh at the fact that someone thought (even just for a second) that you were digging around in your vagina trying to reach the top of your uterus. I try and laugh my way through stress.
  • I hope you have a good ultrasound and that everything is fine.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• I really appreciate all of you taking the time to reply...it means a lot....I tried to do the measurements myself and that just made things worse because I can only get 21 cm...I'm anxious and worried and snapping at my poor DH who is trying to calm me down :( I will post how the ultrasound goes tomorrow and thank you all again.
  • So we went for an ultrasound yesterday.  The technician wouldn't tell us much, but she said she thinks the baby is in the normal size range for 25 weeks.  My DH scored a million points with me by secretly recording all of her measurements that she was submitting to the radiologist (I think that's who analyses the results) and he looked up the numbers and all of them match the 25 week range.  She also said she thinks the baby's weight is about 1.7 lbs which we read is good for 25 weeks.  I won't be fully satisifed until I get the official results, but I feel better enough about it to not drive myself insane with worry over the weekend.  I will hopefully get the official results Thursday morning.  She said the baby is very active and her heart rate is good.  That made me feel better, too.  I also found it interesting that if the doctor felt my uterus just above my belly button when I was laying down, the ultrasound tech had the ultrasound bar right under my ribs to get some of the necessary images of the baby...could that mean my uterus is higher than the doctor is feeling? Ugh I just want my little girl to be okay...
  • bty19bty19 member
    edited September 2013
    Sounds like what you DO know is all good stuff - try to relax Mama.

edit: typo 

• First off your husband is awesome and I am glad he helped alleviate some of your anxiety. Rest up!!! And there can be variations like previous posters said. Sending you good thoughts!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Didn't read this the other day, but glad everything is coming back normal :-) Hope it's all smooth sailing from here!
  • I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm sure everything is fine.  I measured significantly behind the entire time I was pregnant with my son.  I went in for an appointment at 39 weeks and 9 days and measured 32 weeks.  My son was born on his due date weighing 7 pounds 2 ounces.  Some people just carry very small.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"