August 2013 Moms
Options

Talk to me about naps

Where do you put LO for his/her naps?  Do you just play it by ear?

How do you know when it is time to try to get LO to sleep?

How long on average does it take you to get LO to fall asleep?

About how many naps a day does LO take?

Longest nap LO has taken?

Re: Talk to me about naps

• Options
    Right now, LO just sleeps when she wants.  Generally, its in my arms or in the swing, but there is no real schedule as to when or how long.  Eventually, I'll start working on a routine, but right now, I just let her do what she wants.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I know some people are all about getting LO on a schedule, but I think that's kinda crazy at this age. I watch for signs that he's getting tired (been awake for a bit and getting fussy, yawning etc). He sleeps anywhere... Swing, crib, rock n play, bouncy seat. The only thing that we stick to a routine for is bedtime. He sometimes naps for only a half hour, sometimes 2-3 hours. I remember stressing with my first DS and thinking maybe I was doing something wrong, but he eventually fell into his own schedule and before I knew it he was taking two 2 hr naps in his crib and going to bed at 6pm. Babies learn daytime sleep after they establish stable night time sleep. There's really no point in stressing over naps at this point.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When he starts to get fussy I know it's about time for him to nap, especially if he has been up for a while.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    We don't have any set schedule, when she's tired she sleeps. Sometimes she sleeps in my arms after feeding, sometimes I put her in her swing or on her giggle garden mat. When she starts being awake more through the day we'll start trying to work out a schedule, right now it's just not necessary IMO.

• Options
    When she starts to get fussy. She never fussed without reason so if she's fed and has a clean diaper I know she's tired. She will nap anywhere - swing, my arms, car seat, our bed, her crib. She just fell asleep in my arms so I moved her to her crib so I can get some things done around the house.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    We are lucky. I have a sleep anywhere/anytime baby. Mostly during the day she sleeps on me or in the ergo. Sometimes in the rnp, sometimes in our bed.

She rarely fights sleep, but if she's yawning, fussing, etc, I put her in the ergo or go for a car ride.

• Options
    My LO takes mini naps during the day, the longest is an hour and that's maybe 2 times from 11-7. We are working on nighttime sleep though.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Usually I put LO down in her crib once she's asleep, but occasionally (like right now) I'll let her sleep on me because I love the cuddles. :)

She would just go to sleep on her own, but just started fighting sleep a few days ago. Now she has a specific "I'm tired" cry. She also yawns a lot when she's sleepy.

Length of time to get her to fall asleep varies from a minute to an hour. It just depends on her mood and if she's too overtired.

She takes 4-5 naps a day usually, varying in length from 15 minutes to 3 hours. She's not super consistent.
  • Options
    My lo sleeps a lot during the day and I'm pretty sure he has his nights somewhat figured out. At night, he always does a 3-4 hours stretch then another 3 and then he's wanting to eat every 2. During the day, he sleeps at all different times. Some mornings he will go right back to sleep after his first feeding or he will be really alert. It depends on the day. He sleeps anywhere... Yesterday he slept from 2:45-6:15 and I thought for sure he would be up all night but he wasn't. He did his normal 3-4 hour stretch when it was time for bed. I think when they wat to sleep let them at this point. I don't try to keep him awake nor do I ever wake him up if he is sleeping.

• Options
    DD is 2 weeks old. We follow a loose rule of trying to get her to sleep if she's been up for more than 1 to 1.5 hours. Sometimes she takes a lot of little naps, and one long one. Sometimes she takes 2 huge naps (3 hours) but with nothing in between. Nothing consistent, and I don't expect it to be at this age.

DD2 doesn't give many tired cues yet. Sometimes she yawns, but mostly we go by time. Then we feed, swaddle, rock/swing/walk and put her in the RNP. 

It can take us a long, long time to get her to sleep (up to an hour sometimes). She definitely needs a lot of coaxing.

I won't worry about (more) consistent daytime sleep until she's 2-3 months.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"