Wellstar Cobb or Kennestone? — The Bump
Atlanta Babies

Wellstar Cobb or Kennestone?

Hi Ladies,
We just found out we are expecting our second and I am a little nervous finding a hospital. We will need a c-section, which means a few nights in the hospital. Our last child was delivered at a brand new hospital and it was a great experience (unfortunately it is in Minnesota!). So now I need to figure out where we are going to deliver. We are right smack between Wellstar Cobb and Kennstone, so which one would you guys recommend? I want to tour each (but feel like I need to do it asap so we can find a dr that will deliver where we'd like to have our next child. 

TIA!
IMG_2448
"Be the Lego Lady"

Re: Wellstar Cobb or Kennestone?

• I delivered twice at kennestone. Most recently twins just 2 weeks ago via c-section. (The other time was a vaginal delivery 5 years ago). Great experience both times.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Cobb Wellstar twice (both vaginally) and had great experiences both times.  We took a class at Kennestone and liked them as well.  I think they're very similar, except that I believe Kennestone has a nursery and Cobb does not.  We went to Cobb because that's where my doctor delivered, although I've since had several issues with them and would not recommend them to anyone (South Cobb OBGYN the Smyrna office staff made several mistakes on labwork for me and was VERY unprofessional).  If you find a doctor you like, I think you'd have a similar experience at either hospital.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, kennestone has a nursery which I used every night. It definitely helped in regards to c/s recovery. I also stayed an extra day--4 nights total. Everyone was wonderful.

• Thank you! Do they both have private recovery rooms? 
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Cobb has private recovery rooms, and my husband said the bed/sofa he slept on was pretty comfortable as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kennestone has private rooms.

• Thanks!!!!
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Kennestone is awesome.  Yes, they do have private rooms but immediately after the scheduled c/s, you may be brought into a shared room briefly.  It was the pre-op room as well.  I was the first one there and no one else was in there until just before they wheeled me back to the OR.  It was all curtained off and as soon as they wheeled me back in after the C/S, they wheeled her out to the OR.  So we were only in there at the same time very briefly.  As soon as the post op checks were complete, they wheeled me up to my private room.  Maybe 30-45 min after my c/s?  The best part about Kennestone for me was the LC's.  I asked for one before my last c/s and I swear she was sitting in the pre/post op curtained room waiting for me when we came back from the OR.  DD was nursing within 20 min of birth and LC checked on me almost every day we were there.  Twice if I was having issues and asked for her.  I really wouldn't consider delivering anywhere else in Atlanta.  Oh and we had to use the NICU for DS and it was awesome as well. 

Mrs.Guz
  • Thank you! Any recommendations for doctors that deliver at Kennestone? I checked their website and can use one of their dr, but I'm not sure how busy they are. 
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • I use ObGYN Associates. They are inside the hospital.

• Had lo in june at kessestone and it was awesome experience. Dr windom from obgyn assoc was great. I used to see Chappell but she's not very nice anymore in my opinion.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I see Dr Pitcher- right across from kennestone. Other drs in this practice are street, cauthen, shin, and Robbins. It's an all female practice- no midwives if that matters to you. I like all the drs here!

• Had lo in june at kessestone and it was awesome experience. Dr windom from obgyn assoc was great. I used to see Chappell but she's not very nice anymore in my opinion.

Dr Chappell did my c-section. My first experience with her. And I loved her! Love Dr Huffman too. She's probably my favorite in the practice.

• Thanks!!!! You guys make this so much easier!
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • I personally feel wellstar kennestone is a little newer/nicer than Cobb.
  • Marietta OB/Gyn Associates are fantastic and located in Kennestone. I delivered there 3 weeks ago and had a wonderful experience despite my long labor/delivery.
  • kegkeg member
    I'm kind of late to this, but can I ask why you need to have a section?  Is it because you had a section for your first?  If that's the only reason and if you're interested in a VBAC,  Dr. Tate (Emory Midtown) and Intown Midwifery (AMC) are both awesome choices.  I had a VBAC with my third and it was a great experience and the recovery was much easier than my section even though I had some complications.

If you are going to have a section, I'd go with Dr. Bootstaylor (office is See Baby at Emory Midtown/delivers at AMC).  He does family centered sections, which includes things such as immediate skin to skin in the OR.  When I was looking at possibly needing a section, my plan was to switch to him.  There is more info on family centered sections on his website: https://www.seebaby.org/services/family-centered-cesarean.  
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Thanks guys! Kennestone it is! 

And yep, I'm having a c-section with this one because I had one with the first and due to some other complications a vbac isn't an option, but thanks for the info!
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • photoelise Dr. Romero Nicholson. he delivered my now 14 yr old and my 2 yr old girls. Only reason I didn't go with him this time is that he only delivers at Kennestone. I love love him! I live like 40 min away from kennestone and last baby almost came before we got there. He and his wife (she is a midwife) have their own practice if that helps. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

CafeMom Tickers
  • Kennestone just got done with remodeling from what I hear it's a super nice new upgrade
  • I had a premature delivery at Kennestone and lost my baby. The baby was too young to survive but I felt like they made a lot of mistakes and compromised my care. Other people have said they've had bad experiences there.
  • We had our little girl at Kennestone in May 2013. All around terrible experience. I would steer clear of anything Wellstar if I were you. We will definitely use Northside Hospital for our next baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards