LGBT Parenting
Options

Donor under investigation

I called Fairfax yesterday to send my two remaining vials of donor sperm to my RE, per her instructions.  I then discovered that my donor is under investigation for Dwarte Galactosemia so they wanted us to get tested and sign a waiver saying we were aware of the mutation.  My RE recommended we just find a new donor but that's such an exhausting process... Has anyone else experienced something like this?  Fairfax is being good about it and they opened our access to their donor information for the next 3 months and I just learned from my RE that I can pick any donor with RH+ or RH- blood types (same with CMV pos or neg).  I thought I had to pick a donor who was RH+ or CMV- since that's what I am.  Kind of gives us some more options.  Plus our donor became sibling-only recently so at least now we'll have a chance to buy more when we need it.

Re: Donor under investigation

• Options
    That sucks.

Our donor ended up leaving the program sometime in our first 4 IUI's or something like that.  We found out because we were logging in to check on his inventory every now and then.  For us, because we were looking for a donor with a particular cultural background and looks we had a limited pool to choose from.  We ended up being able to get more vials elsewhere, but it came up.

Honestly, if you aren't super attached to a particular racial or cultural trait of your donor, and are looking for a Caucasian guy, and not seeking out a ginger or something, I would probably just choose a new donor.  Most of the donors are white guys anyway, so the pool isn't too small for blonde or brown haired guys.  

I think your Rh status only really matters if you're Rh negative... and our RE told us that CMV status shouldn't be a big deal at all as long as you're not immuno-compromised.    For me it would be more important to have the sibling option open as well.....

Good luck and happy shopping!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Options
    ATXmommasATXmommas member
    edited September 2013
    Our donor became restricted after one of his offspring was born deaf (he has many more with no hearing problems).  They did genetic testing and determined that the hearing loss was a result of a gene from both the donor and the mother. We decided to continue to use our donor - we do want a donor with a certain ethnic background that we found to be quite limited in our search.  So, there is a teeny, tiny chance that our baby could have hearing loss if I too carry that gene.  We had to sign a waiver to continue to have access to our vials.  These decisions can be so hard.  If I were able to conceive with my partner, I would do so regardless of what her genetic material contained.  Not that I want to be careless about what risks I pose to my child, but I figure that we found a donor we feel really comfortable with and if I wouldn't turn down my wife's genetic material for the same thing, then we weren't going to make it an issue with our chosen donor.  And, the stats the geneticist at Fairfax gave indicated the risk of passing on hearing loss to our child is extremely small.  So, that's where we're at.  I have never heard of Dwarte Galactosemia, so not sure if that's something super serious or not or what the risk to a potential child would be.

ETA: Fairfax also gave us unrestricted access to donor profiles for a few months, but honestly we didn't take advantage since we decided to keep using our donor.  But, they were timely and responsive and I appreciated how they handled it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your input, everyone!  Fairfax has been super nice about all this - they even upgraded our profile access for free so we could view lifetime photos and get personality reports!  We were able to find a donor we liked even more than the one we had before so we're really happy now.  I just have to sign the transfer papers and get things going and then we'll have our new vials shipped to my RE and carry on with the process :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"