TTC after 35
Options

For those of you who have done/going through IVF

So as some of you know, I did an injectable IUI in Feb and result in pregancy but miscarried at 8 weeks in April.  I moved and I had a new RE (still in the same clinic, but they have different offices), he was very encouraging and feel that I should try on my own.  I did and five months fast forward here I am.  I am planning to go back in Oct to do another injectable IUI.  But time is catching up on me and my thought is I should think about IVF if the injectable IUI fails.  I chose my RE based on convenience, however, if I want to do an IVF, I may want to do a bit more research.  What are some of the factors I should consider?  I want to start my research and maybe starting to meet with places but I feel a little lost what to look.  Thank you in advance. 

Re: For those of you who have done/going through IVF

• Options
    ELF4321ELF4321 member
    edited September 2013
    Look at success rates on the SART website, but you have to combine that with the percent of patients diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (Listed on the SART report). DOR patients tend to have lower success rates and some clinics will actually refuse to do IVF or cancelcycles for poor response, just to keep their success rates higher. So a clinic with 20% DOR patients and a 40% success rate probably better with older patients than a clinic with only 10% DOR patients and similar success rates.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I went with one that had the best success rates which I don't regret. They do do a high volume and that can be daunting, and I did feel like a number before I really got going. I had some questions and they seemed a little slow to respond. Once things got going with treatment they were on me though. I had my own dedicated nurse who I emailed regularly with questions and she kept me on track. It can be very overwhelming because it's all so new. It wasn't as bad as I had made it out in my head though. Regarding research, that's all I really did. I go to Shady Grove Fertility and their reputation is really good here so it wasn't that hard. 

At one point I did consider going elsewhere (before IVF). I can't even remember why. I called around and everywhere required me to redo all our tests which I had literally just finished. We pay out of pocket for fertility and that would have been cost prohibitive. In hindsight I'm glad we stuck with who we were with. What I learned from all this is that nowhere is perfect. It's good to have realistic expectations. 
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi! I had two unsuccessful tries at IUI back in 2011-2012 when I was 41 and turning 42. When I had my initial consult I recall the RE trying to pursuade me to not do the IUIs and go for IVF based on my age. I did not listen as I felt I wanted toat least try the easier route first as neither of us had any significant abnormalities.  Unfortunately, he was correct and we were not successful. 

After those attempts we actually relocated to a different state and it took a bit of time to get back into the process. I am now 43 and we are going straight to IVF. I actually just had my baseline U/S today for my 1st round of IVF.

Age plays a pretty big role in success. I honestly wish I had not wasted time with IUI and went straight to IVF. If I had, I might not be childless now at 43. I'm also in even more of a compromised position as I'm even older now then when I first started the process.

Everyone ultimately has to do what is best for them, and I wish you the best of luck in your journey with whatever you decide.

**** siggy warning - bfp & loss ****   ---- All Welcome ---

Me: 44 - Hashimoto's (under control), DH: 38 - (minor issues)

IUIs: 2 in 2012 ... Both BFN
    IVF #1: 10/16/13 ... BFP, however it was not viable and ended in an early loss at 7weeks.

IVF #2: Feb '14 ... Cancelled. Positive beta at baseline appt, became very early loss.
    IVF #2: Apr '
    14 ... Retrieval Only. 2 embryos made it to day 3 freeze & will be batched with IVF #3 for PGD testing.
    IVF #3: June '14
    Retrieval Only. 4 embryos growing, all arrested before day 5. Two from April thawed, but also arrested.
    Currently benched while determining how to proceed.

"Keep going until you can't fail"

image   image

image  image

• Options
    I am not there yet, but your question is a good one.

I am also doing one more IUI before moving on to IVF.  I choose my RE based on his SART data even though I was never planning on doing IVF ( I was so naive thinking that I would never need it) My last IUI is sort of a test to see how I will respond to a new protocol and whether I am a candidate for IVF.  My RE  brought up donor eggs ( before I got pregnant naturally) and I will def get a 2nd opinion before going that route.  I also asked around on my local nest board and on the bump regarding RE's in my area.   I also did a bunch of googling of local RE's etc...  I was torn between my current one and another who had almost the exact SART data and reviews.  In the end I went with the one closest to my house since I knew I would have to make many trips.

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Thank you ladies, the information is helpful.  I also thought about hopefully if we have some good eggs to freeze, I am afraid if I wait another couple years to do IVF, that window will close.  But one step at a time. 
  • Options
    Hi Jchow!

You prob remember a bit of my story (don't think my sig is updated) but I struggled on my own, had two m/c and then did 3 clomid IUIs and one natural IUI.  I decided against injectables and went straight to IVF after the clomid/iuis didn't work and it worked the first time. I was not having trouble ovulating - it was more about getting pregnant with the best quality eggs. I also had a $10K lifetime max on advanced fertility so my insurance covered IVF so there wasn't a cost reason holding me back. For me, IVF (vs inj IUI) was a better choice and the one my dr recommended.  The success rate is higher and the chance of twins isn't lower, but it's more controlled. Plus you're picking the *best* eggs - which was important in my case.

For locations - I think you were at Columbia, right?  When I did research, I got recommendations (not many since we weren't "out") and also just reading doctor/clinic reviews.  I went to Cornell as it has one of the best reputations - and I went to Owen Davis. I have heard good things about Mt Sinai as well but mostly about Cornell.  For what it's worth, during my IVF cycle I ran into a friend there and she listed a handful of other mutual friends who go there.  I do believe they have a clinic in westchester (maybe) which will be good for monitoring - but you'll come into the city for retrieval and transfer. I loved my experience, the staff is amazing and it's run like a machine in a good way.  In a very sh**ty, emotionally draining situation, it's really good to have a comforting experience at a clinic.

Let me know if you have more questions! 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Options

Hi, Lenox, how are you? Thank you so much for stopping by and give me the information.  Yes, I am currently going to Columbia and I am pretty happy with them.  But if I decide to do IVF, I may need to reconsider options.  I thought about Cornell, it's not the easiest place to get to, but I think it is worth the effort if it can provide me the best evnironment and chance to proceed with this.  We work in the city so we will need to come to the city anyway.  I also have a friend who just did a procedure to freeze her eggs there, so I will reach out to her and see how her experience is. 

• Options
    Hi JChow, I am glad to read that you are considering Cornell. PPL2011 just went there for her last IVF cycle with the new technology of consistent monitoring of the embryos. She got pregnant but, unfortunately just loss her little one at 6-7 weeks. This technology is state of the art, so I would highly recommend it and check into it, to see what you think. I wish you the best in finding the place that works the best for you in getting pregnant! :) Keep us all posted. Glad to see Lenox's post.....hope you are doing well with your pregnancy! Take care. ;)
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • Options
    Hi JChow, I am glad to read that you are considering Cornell. PPL2011 just went there for her last IVF cycle with the new technology of consistent monitoring of the embryos. She got pregnant but, unfortunately just loss her little one at 6-7 weeks. This technology is state of the art, so I would highly recommend it and check into it, to see what you think. I wish you the best in finding the place that works the best for you in getting pregnant! :) Keep us all posted. Glad to see Lenox's post.....hope you are doing well with your pregnancy! Take care. ;)

THIS!!!! I was racking my brain trying to remeber where PPL2011 went and what her screen name was :)

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Options
    Hi, yes, I just completed an IVF cycle at Cornell with Dr. Owen Davis. I think he's brilliant, and I can't say enough good things about him. I miscarried this week so I'm not a success story yet, but I will go back to him. PM me if you want details.

• Options
    Lenox1975 said:
    Hi Jchow!

You prob remember a bit of my story (don't think my sig is updated) but I struggled on my own, had two m/c and then did 3 clomid IUIs and one natural IUI.  I decided against injectables and went straight to IVF after the clomid/iuis didn't work and it worked the first time. I was not having trouble ovulating - it was more about getting pregnant with the best quality eggs. I also had a $10K lifetime max on advanced fertility so my insurance covered IVF so there wasn't a cost reason holding me back. For me, IVF (vs inj IUI) was a better choice and the one my dr recommended.  The success rate is higher and the chance of twins isn't lower, but it's more controlled. Plus you're picking the *best* eggs - which was important in my case.

For locations - I think you were at Columbia, right?  When I did research, I got recommendations (not many since we weren't "out") and also just reading doctor/clinic reviews.  I went to Cornell as it has one of the best reputations - and I went to Owen Davis. I have heard good things about Mt Sinai as well but mostly about Cornell.  For what it's worth, during my IVF cycle I ran into a friend there and she listed a handful of other mutual friends who go there.  I do believe they have a clinic in westchester (maybe) which will be good for monitoring - but you'll come into the city for retrieval and transfer. I loved my experience, the staff is amazing and it's run like a machine in a good way.  In a very sh**ty, emotionally draining situation, it's really good to have a comforting experience at a clinic.

Lenox! How are you!? I went to Owen Davis too. I loved him. I'd love to hear your experience. PM me. 

• Options
    Lenox1975 said:

Hi Jchow!

Ticker warning.

Lenox! I've been wondering about you too! I posted awhile ago on PG35 to see how you were doing. Please give us an update!

Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    @Guennie...maybe write her name @Lenox1975 and hopefully she will see this. Well I just did...lol. It will tell her she was tagged. Maybe you knew that...idk :)

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Options
    @everyone

you guys are too cute!  My bumping declined significantly when the site transitioned to the new format so I'm outdated and totally behind on notifications, etc. (eg I have no idea how they work)

my update is that we are 24 weeks!  having a boy, i'm starting to feel him move and we are unbelievably excited.  this fall has been very busy - we bought an apartment, moved, are in the middle of trying to organize renovations (before the baby comes in January) and i have a nightmare of an HR situation at work I'm dealing with.  So all of this means I was *forced* into a bump break. to be honest, it's been good for me.  

PPL2011 - I felt in good hands with Dr. Davis - I had a rough time while working with him- and lots of emotion - but he was pretty straight with me, "we will get you pregnant".  i also loved dr. chang - he was my friends dr but he did my ET.  He is amazing - super warm and caring.  My friend loved him.  

i miss you guys!!!!
    Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Options
    Ticker warning.

@Lenox1975 Yay! Congrats on your boy!! So glad to hear all is well, I hope things will settle down for you soon! :)
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"