Health & Exercise
Options

Thoughts on weight loss during first tri

I was in great shape prior to ttc #1 and pregnancy...but I gained a lot of weight. A lot! I have lost 50 lbs. I am now about 5 lbs above my healthy weight range...my bmi is 26. I am now pregnant with #2...only 4 weeks 5 days. My certified personal trainer thinks that I can continue to lose weight at a slower rate during first tri. (I think he is talking about maybe a half pound a week.) He says he has done special training in working with pregnant women and has had many pregnant clients. I have been with him for about 4 years and he has not steared me wrong before. My dh, who is a physician, thinks this is fine. Thoughts? I am going to get my ob's opinion, too.
IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Thoughts on weight loss during first tri

• Options
    I don't think it's a good idea, but maybe that's just me.  you are supposed to gain weight when pregnant
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That is traditionally what I have always thought/heard, but it seems like there is at least some info out there in the medical literature suggesting that for overweight and obese women that weight loss early on is okay.  I came across some literature suggesting that obese women who were on an exercise and diet program and gained minimal weight (or even lost weight) throughout the entire pregnancy had better outcomes...of course, I am not obese so this would not apply to me. And I am also guessing that for some people their eating habits are so poor that forcing them to eat healthy probably gives their baby better nutrition even when calorie restricting than the nutrition they get when they are left to their own devices. I was wondering if anyone else had undertaken to do the research or had discussed extensively with their doctor...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That is traditionally what I have always thought/heard so I was taken aback at first, too. However, as I looked at some of the medical research last night (my DH is a physician so has access to some online medical resources with various types of journal articles/studies in them), it seems like there is at least some info out there in the medical literature suggesting that for overweight and obese women that weight loss early on is not only okay but encouraged.  (Again, I'm talking about early on and not in the 2nd and 3rd tri and I'm talking about people who are > 24.9 BMI who already have enough fat/energy reserves to grow a baby.)  The only concern with any sort of calorie restricting was to ensure enough protein and that there were no vitamin deficiencies...but this apparently more comes into making sure that you are eating very healthy and taking prenatal vitamins.  I was actually quite shocked at this as this admittedly flew in the face of everything I have ever "heard."

I also came across some literature suggesting that obese women who were on an exercise and diet program and gained minimal weight (or even lost weight) throughout their entire pregnancy had better outcomes...of course, I am not obese so this would not apply to me. And I am also guessing that for some people their eating habits are so poor that forcing them to eat healthy probably gives their baby better nutrition even when calorie restricting than the nutrition they get when they are left to their own devices. 

I was wondering if anyone else had undertaken to do the research or had discussed extensively with their doctor...

I somewhat wonder, though, that even if I talk to an OB, if they will just give me the "CYA" answer.  I have found that to be true in many things.  By way of example, my RE put me on baby aspirin.  Baby aspiring has been shown in many, large studies to prevent pre-e and also had a host of other benefits when taken in the first tri. I previously had pre-e so I am a prime candidate for being on BA.  Yet, my OB's office told me to go off of it. They just basically gave me the "CYA" answer...I'm sure because they never bothered to do the research.  When I talked to my RE (who has way more education and training than an OB because they are an OB plus have additional years of training), he told me to absolutely stay on the baby aspirin. There has been no negative side effects and many benefits. Sigh.    

• Options
    I think if you are not obese, you should apply guidelines for the obese to yourself. But if you focus on just being healthy and active all through your pregnancy, you might lose a little incidentally or you might just end up gaining less. I wouldn't focus on the scale, focus on the food you are eating and your activity level
  • Options
    I lost a few pounds the first 2 months of my pregnancy, then put the weight on.  I worked out with a trainer until the night before going into labor.  We have a family friend who is obese and when she got pregnant, her doctor made her go to a nutritionist and she didn't gain a pound her entire pregnancy.
  • Options
    I lost a little weight in my first tri because of bad morning sickness but made up for it once I hit my 2nd tri.

If you were high risk obese- I could maybe see needing to do so, but you aren't.

Stay active, eat healthy, give into cravings :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"