May 2012 Moms
Options

SAHM

On the toddler board recently, somebody asked what a typical SAHM day looked like. It seemed like it was all outings, playing outside, and naps. Does nobody else have a house to clean, cooking to do, groceries to buy, etc? I can do some of those things during his nap (which is getting shorter by the day) but I spend a large portion of my day doing those types of things. What am I missing here? (Maybe it is just that I am tired and cranky and in desperate need of some me time right now.)

Re: SAHM

• Options
    ::waves hand:: I have a house to clean! Yes, while I do take LO to the park or the zoo or something I also have responsibilities around the house. I get a bunch done during her nap but I also work while she's awake too. I'm not going to lie, I let her watch PBS kids or Disney Junior sometimes when I need to get things done around the house. I'm not ignoring her and I'm not letting the TV babysit her it's just to occupy her a little while I clean up around her. 
    A lot of the times when I do chores she likes to help. When I'm putting dishes away she likes to hand them to me. She likes it when I give her clothes from the washer to throw in the dryer. She'll get to close the dryer door and push the button. When I fold laundry I put all the socks in a pile and I ask her to find the matching socks. Even though she's still too young to really understand matching socks it's still great for her development. She feels so proud of herself when she helps me. I don't feel like I'm putting her to work. I only do it because she wants to. 
    You're definitely not alone when it comes to multitasking around the house and watching a toddler. Must be nice to not have to worry about house work.   
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Options
    Your not alone. I do something around the house everyday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a part time SAHM... well summer time... as I am a teacher and YES there is tons to do around my house (and i have a cleaning lady every other week even during the summer!).  I do try and take LO to do something (usually to the pool or gym) at least once a day to get us out of the house.  
    Sometimes a lil TV time is totally necessary to keep your own sanity!  

• Options
    I clean house, do laundry, cook, coupon, shop, run errands and we play nap and go to the park but that's like every other week not every day. Oh we also help big brother with home work take him to soccer practice. The boys hardly ever nap at the same time so doing my chores while they're sleeping is next to impossible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    I have a follow up question. There are certain things I feel like I can't do with DS awake. How do you do these things with LO around? For instance, I don't load the dishwasher with him around. He likes to help me unload it but I don't want him to touch all the yucky dirty dishes (I am a bit if a germaphobe). I think it is probably a training thing but touching clean vs dirty dishes seems like a slightly advanced concept. Also, I don't clean the bathrooms while he is around because I don't want him in there with all the chemicals in the air. Another is showering. I do that during his nap. There are several things like this that I just feel like I can't do unless he is asleep and I am starting to think I am making it too hard on myself.
  • Options
    maryxc1 said:

I have a follow up question. There are certain things I feel like I can't do with DS awake. How do you do these things with LO around? For instance, I don't load the dishwasher with him around. He likes to help me unload it but I don't want him to touch all the yucky dirty dishes (I am a bit if a germaphobe). I think it is probably a training thing but touching clean vs dirty dishes seems like a slightly advanced concept. Also, I don't clean the bathrooms while he is around because I don't want him in there with all the chemicals in the air. Another is showering. I do that during his nap. There are several things like this that I just feel like I can't do unless he is asleep and I am starting to think I am making it too hard on myself.

Showering I put him in his crib with toys and I shower, loading the dishwasher I do as we make dirty dishes so he's normally in his high chair as I clear the table, or just tell him no. Cleaning the bathroom I use Norwex cloths so no chemicals to wipe things down while he's in the tub but for heavy scrubbing I wait until dh is home to play with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    haha ditto.  i hate her touching kitchen/bathroom things.  my DD's room is baby proofed so we KNOW we can dump her in there and do what we have to do.  that's generally waht we do.  it's usually a disaster in a few short minutes but it's worth the piece of mind!
  • Options
    Our day typically includes something in the morning - my daughter is in a gymnastics class one morning, art class another, my son and her are both in a music class and the other morning we usually do a playdate of some sort with the mom group I'm in or go to the zoo, park, etc with other friends.  I save one morning a week for grocery shopping and our weekly trip to Target.  Then we come home and having lunch and my son naps and I do my best to get my daughter to nap, but if she doesn't that is when she has 'quiet time' by herself in her room where she reads books, plays with her dolls, etc.  That is when I do laundry/pick up/prep for dinner, etc.  Once nap time is done the kids usually have a snack and I let them just play with each other and watch a little TV while I finish getting dinner ready.  Once my husband gets home we eat and then usually go for an after dinner walk before it's time for bathtime, books and bed.  

No, my house is not the cleanest, sometimes the laundry piles up, we don't eat gourmet meals every single night, but whatever.  This is what has worked for us.   
    *My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"