Adoption

adoption in polygamy

There's a show on TLC right called my five wives. Not sure if anyone caught it but the one wife wants to adopt. I thought it was pretty interesting. I can't imagine they would even be allowed to adopt? Which they brought up as well. Any one have any thoughts?

Re: adoption in polygamy

• if she's the first/legal wife, it could be possible, depending on the route they take.
  • I did watch this episode.... she is actually the 5th wife. She voiced how she wanted to adopt a child from another country. She stated that "it would be cheaper, and because they are a multiple wife family they wouldn't run into any issues". To which I realized she had done zero research at that point about adoption. 

I turned off the TV shortly after this clip had occurred, and then thought about it for awhile... Other than the home study, would it not be seen as just a single mom wanting to adopt? That is technically what she is - she just lives in a home that is attached to other homes (sort of like a town house complex) and the kids run around and play with each other. Obviously, now that they are public and what not, you could see that they obviously wouldn't be able to hide any situation with being a part of a polygamy family..... I honestly have no idea how it would work! 
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Loading the player...
  • Well, seeing as she is engaging in a criminal lifestyle, I'm not sure they'd pass a homestudy.  That being said, I didn't see the show and have no idea about the specifics.
  • I agree with you Ali about her lack of research. I laughed a bit to at their lack of research. I just cant imagine passing a home study when they are obviously committing a crime ( I'm not judging just stating a fact) . Wouldnt she have to disclose to caseworker that they are involved in plural marriage?
  • However I did feel for her. It was obvious she was in pain and I understand that. I can't imagine wanting to adopt and not being able to because you have to put it to a vote of your other wives.
  • fredalina said:
    I have never seen the show, but if they are not reporting the subsequent marriages to the government or trying to all get benefits, etc, it's not illegal or criminal, is it?
    I don't know how it works... this was my thought too... My husband brought up the point of if they aren't using government aid etc. is it not essentially (taking it to the bare level) a man who is married sleeping around and fathering other children?! 
    Began the Adoption process 4/2013
    Home study Approved 12/2013
    .... and the wait begins! 

• Jalara- thanks! This topic interest s me as well as I also watched big love and sister wives. TLC is watching to see if the ratings are good for this show and then will determine if they make this into a series which is exciting. We may be seeing more about this story line.

Didn't Robyn from sister wives offer to be merri's surrogate? I think that's how they were getting around that but I haven't watched in a while.
  • Jalara-no I did catch that. I think this show is pretty much exactly like sister wives so I'd be surprised if it takes off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"