Natural Birth
Options

When to find a doula?

Hello!

This is my first time posting here; as you can see from my ticker, I'm not very far along :-P  This is my first, but I've always had the idea that when I gave birth, I wanted to do it naturally.

I'm lucky that there is a hospital only about a mile from my house which offers a natural birthing center within it.  I'll be seeing midwives and will have options like water birth.  Very excited!

I keep hearing about how valuable doulas are for natural birthing mothers... for those using them (or who have in the past), when did you go about finding one?
Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

Re: When to find a doula?

• Options
    I contacted doulas when I was 16 weeks and meet with a few for an initial interview around 19 weeks. I signed a contract with the doula I felt the most comfortable with at 20 weeks.  If you know you want a doula you should meet them and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with early.  Doulas tend to take about 2 clients a month so you want to book early. 
  • Options
    Start looking as soon as you feel comfortable making plans. The earlier you're booking, the more selection you've got, as PP said - most doulas can only take 2-4 clients per due month. I booked around week 16 this time and closer to 24 weeks with my first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"