August 2012 Moms
Options

Battle of brushing teeth

It's like I'm murdering him. I have to pin him down and wait for him to scream in order to get his toothbrush in there. He thrashes his head around and kicks and pushes me away...oh gosh it is a nightmare. The thing is, he used to love to chew on it and would laugh when I used the finger brush. It seems like since we started using toothpaste that he just hates it. So I tried just water again, and the same thing.

Tips?  Tricks?

Re: Battle of brushing teeth

• Options
    we don't use toothpaste yet- just the brush, wet.

she doesn't like it and cries sometimes. but I will tickle her and get her to open her mouth and pop the brush in, brush top then do it again and get the bottoms.

I try to make it fun- in the morning she watches me and DH brush our teeth and she laughs and points to our brushes so we will give her her toothbrush and she will bite on it and try to brush her own teeth- not too well yet- but it's cute.
  • Options
    We started out with DD watching us brush our teeth and we would make silly faces while doing it and she thought it was a blast. We made brushing teeth part of bedtime routine around 6 months so we really haven't had any problems. The biggest thing is now she wants to "brush" them herself so we seem to be in there forever as she chews on the brush. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we use training toothpaste, which DS loves the taste of. i approach him from behind (that seems easiest, for some reason) and quickly brush his top and bottom teeth. he doesn't love it, but it's over with pretty quickly. then i let him chew/suck on the toothbrush for a while afterwards. i always say "do you want to brush your teeth?" as i'm getting ready to brush my own teeth. i don't know how i'll get in there to brush his molars once he has them, but i guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
  • Options
    We work together, DH holds DD and I wield the toothbrush. We also hold DD in front of the bathroom mirror se she can see what is going on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS used to hate it but now he LOVES it! I tell him his teeth will call out if he keeps brushing them. My advice is to keep doing it and let your LO play with the toothbrush. DS mostly sucks and plays with it in his mouth but I figure that's a good start!
  • Options
    K and I brush together every morning and the he and daddy (sometimes me too), brush together in the evenings. I usually let him do it himself while I brush and then take over and help him when I'm done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

So we just added the tooth brush to the bedtime routine.  I don't know why I didn't do it earlier ... I guess I'm just lazy.  She likes to do it herself though and doesn't want much help from me.  But I'll brush my teeth with her and she thinks its funny to put the brush to her teeth.  I'll say "Let's brush your teeth" and she'll open her mouth real wide!  I'll try to help a little by moving it around, but she wants to do it herself.  She'll try and brush her hair with it, and I have to remind her to use it on her teeth.  (I think she knows the word "brush" with respect to brushing her hair!  LOL!).  When we're done I have a hard time convincing her to give it back to me!  Which is the hardest part of the teeth brushing experience!  Honestly I don't know how much we're really getting her teeth clean, but at least she's getting use to the idea!

Try to make it fun!  GL! 

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DS recently started fighting it, too. I brush, let him hold it/chew it, then brush, then let him hold it/chew it. Good luck.

Anniversary
  • Options
    DS was like this, he loved it, then suddenly hated it, and now after like 3 weeks of torture he loves it again. I thought it might be because he was teething. No advice except to keep trying. He also started watching us brush our teeth more so that may have had something to do with it too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"