Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Dislocated my other kneecap!

I'm sorry to vent here but I'm feeling really discouraged.  My knees have been an issue since I was 13.  My ligaments are loose and usually about once a year one of my kneecaps dislocates.  I am able to push it back into place, deal with the pain for a few days, and move on.  When this first started happening the orthopedic mentioned that I would likely encounter issues while pregnant b/c of the extra weight and the fact that your joints loosen.  That has been in the back of my mind since I was 13 years old.

Two weeks ago I dislocated my right knee while walking down the stairs.  Last night I dislocated my left knee just by turning around.  There is no warning before this happens.  It pops out of place and I fall to the ground.  Right now the baby is protected inside of me but I'm so worried about this happening after the baby is born.  My OB said that your joints can stay loose for more than 6 weeks post partum.  I'm still going to be carrying extra weight too.   I am freaking out about it happening while I'm holding the baby & possibly injuring the baby.

I scheduled an appt with an orthopedic for next week but I'm not sure what, if anything, he can do for me at this point.  I'm hoping he'll be able to give me kneebraces to keep my kneecaps in place.  I already have to wear compression hosiery for vericose veins (yes, they're as pleasant as they sound).  It will be worth it but I don't know if it's even possible to wear both at once.

I was doing pretty well walking w/o waddling until my fall last night.  I pulled a muscle in my right leg when I fell so I have a lovely limp and waddle going on now.  In the scheme of things, this is a minimal issue.  I'm more concerned about any dislocating happening after the baby is born.

Sorry this got so long...

{Blog}
TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dislocated my other kneecap!

• Options
    I know how much it sucks to have dislocating knees!  I've had 3 dislocations in the past and have had to go to the hospital (sometimes in an ambulance) to have them put back in place.    It makes me cringe just to think about it - I feel for you!  Hopefully, the orthopedic doctor has a good solution for you. 
  • Options

I feel for you, that must be scary. I hope the orthopedic can do something or has a brace you can wear.

I worry because I am just clumsy and fall and run into things, (I am ridiculous for example -while jogging I ran into a road sign and cut my forehead open)  my worst fear is falling down the stairs carrying the baby. I already fell down my grandparents stairs while pregnant, thankfully backwards so I landed on my back and just slid down.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OUCH!! ?I have never done that, but I have treated many patients that have! ?Sounds like you ?need some physical therapy to strengthen your vastus medialis muscle! ?Thats the inside quad muscle. ?( couldn't help putting my PT word in!)
  • Options
    I am being treated for a right dislocated kneecap right now. He might send you for PT, but with you being pregnant I'm not sure what you will be able to do. But it has started to help me. I was walking down the stairs when I did it also. I hope you feel better!!!
    imageimage Nest Bio I My Blog 2011 Races: Robbins Run 5K Trail Run- 4/23/11 Turkey Hill Country Classic 5K- 5/7/11 MHA Ladies 5K- 6/4/11 Hershey Half Marathon- 10/16/11 Amish Country Half Marathon- 11/5/11 Turkey Trot 5K 11/24/11 Jingle Bell Run 12/11/11 Kris Kringle 5 Miler 12/18/11
  • Options
    Oh, my gosh, Christina!  I'm so sorry to hear that!  I really hope the orthopedic doc can shed some light on what you can do now, and after baby arrives.  I have a 'trick' knee, too, so I know it's very scary. 
  • Options
    Oh ouch!! ?I'm sorry that you have to deal with that Christina. ?How frustrating and painful. ?I hope you can get some relief soon. ?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"