March 2013 Moms
Options

LO gulping and swallowing air when nursing

Does anyone's LO have this same problem.  My LO is 6 months now so I wouldn't think he would have this problem.  All of the sudden when he is nursing he seems to swallow air and then he cries in pain.  I feel so bad for him and I can't always get that air out in a burp.  It's like he is then afraid to go back on the breast because of the pain he endured.  It is so strange.  I have thought to nurse him sooner then maybe it won't happen, but if I try to nurse any sooner then he becomes stiff as a board and will not nurse. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Re: LO gulping and swallowing air when nursing

• Options
    Is he teething?  My LO is, and I think it's affected her nursing.  I've read and an LC has told me that when they are teething they change their latch and for me it was causing a lot of pain.  I have just tried to channel back to the newborn stage and work with her to make sure she is latched right at the beginning, and popping her off if not to correct it.  Not sure if that is the same for you, but it may help to try and work on his latch??  Also if you don't already try nursing in a reclined position - I have an overactive letdown which it sounds like you could too, and that helps slow the flow down so baby can catch their breath.
  • Options

Thank you.  I think he is teething.  It is so frustrating to feel like we are going backwards with the breastfeeding latching.  Ugh.

I have found that swaddling him has really helped to keep him on the breast.  I am swaddling with arms down and it seems to calm him down enough to stay on.  I am also making sure not to apply any pressure to my breast when the letdown starts because I think that was choking him up.

;

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"