Baby Showers
Options

Slight vent and a question

I've been invited to a friend's baby shower. This baby has been a long time coming and I'm super excited for her. Another friend is throwing the shower, and although I've only met her a few times she's always struck me as being completely lovely.

Anyway my vent is that the invite has on it, "please bring a plate of food to share." So I need to vent because I just don't want to. It just feels like a complete hassle. 

My question is, what is appropriate food? It's an afternoon tea. I was thinking of making chocolate chip cookies because they're quick and easy and I can have some fun making them with my 3 yr old. But then I wondered if that was a bit basic? I could make some pretty cupcakes (I quite enjoy cake decorating) but when I'm on a time crunch it feels a bit stressful baking and decorating something.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Slight vent and a question

• Options
    I Think cookies are perfect.  Honestly, people appreciate "basic" food!  Sometimes food can get TOO fancy. :)
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Re: vent: Agreed! Re: cookies: Yum!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    so tacky! but my first thought when I read the plate to share was cookies or brownies. Cupcakes = too much work (and the hostess had BETTER be providing a cake or cupcakes already! ;) )
  • Options
    I find it awful that they expect you to bring a dish.  That being said, at my shower one thing that everyone loved was the grapes we had.  My cousins took white grapes, dipped them in caramel at the bottom and rolled it in chopped pecans.  They were really easy to make and they were so good. 

• Options
    RibbitGrl930RibbitGrl930 member
    edited September 2013
    Agree that the potluck request is tacky. Also agree that cookies are just fine. Bake away and be done.

• Options
    tashad18 said:
    I find it awful that they expect you to bring a dish.  That being said, at my shower one thing that everyone loved was the grapes we had.  My cousins took white grapes, dipped them in caramel at the bottom and rolled it in chopped pecans.  They were really easy to make and they were so good. 
    My mom made these at my shower and they were delicious!
    N

Mr. Baby's ticker

• Options
    It's incredibly rude to ask guests to feed themselves. Ick! That said, you don't want to be the one guest that shows up w/out a plate. That would be embarrassing...

I'd go for the CC cookies if that makes you happy. Might as well have fun if you have to be put out.

I've been to one pot luck shower. I brought crockpot chili and grilled veggies (it was a winter potluck).

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    What? That's absurd.
    Take cookies.
  • Options
    Cookies sound just fine. I've never been to a shower that I had to bring a dish. If anything if they are close to me I've offered to bring something to help but never been told to. :-?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"