May 2013 Moms
Options

Daycare and the Holidays

I know it's early to be thinking about what to get our daycare caregivers for the holidays but these are the random things I think about.

For those of you who have children in daycare already or simply know the etiquette behind gift giving for caregivers can you please share what you feel is appropriate.

Assuming I am pleased with them (which I wouldn't have my DD there if I wasn't), do I get them a gift, gift card or money? I tend to not like giving cash but for all I know that's what's appropriate. Anyway, I'd love to hear your feedback...TIA

Re: Daycare and the Holidays

• Options
    Having worked in a day care/pre K for the past few years I'd say a gift card is a wonderful and greatly appreciated gift/gesture of thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @LizzyG11, thank you, it's great to hear from a recipient :-). Is there a "recommended/standard" amount or is that really at my discretion?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I normally do Starbucks gift cards
  • Options
    It's really up to you as far as the amount goes...it's definitely the thought that counts!

• Options
    tricia560 said:
    Yikes, I haven't even considered this.  Is it expected?  A regional thing or pretty global?  And if you use a center and 4 different people take care of your LO depending on the day, do you get them all something or just the lead teacher?

This one of those areas (like tipping) where I feel SO awkward.

I wouldn't say "expected" and I honestly don't know if it's a regional thing or more global (sorry).  I know that all of my friends get their childrens teachers (once in Kindergarten) a gift so I just always assumed I'd do the same for DD's caregiver as a token of our appreciation.  Nothing big - just a little something to let them know they're appreciated. 

At our daycare there are 2 primary Infant Room Caregivers - of those two there is 1 specifically assigned to my DD in terms of being the main person to feed/change her but both monitor/play with her.  My guess is I'll give both of them a gift but probably do a slightly bigger gift for her primary caregiver since she spends the most time with her during feedings etc.  I will not give anything to the other caregivers that fill in during breaks as that can easily add up LOL.

• Options
    jayro10jayro10 member
    edited September 2013
    Gift cards and edibles are my favorite gifts to receive from my students! Steer clear of candles and lotions.

ETA I do not expect gifts from any if my students but greatly appreciate them! Gift card amounts are typically $10-15.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Honestly, I (and all the teachers I work with) are pretty picky about homemade edibles. If its from a well known and clean family, no problem but if they have the smelly kid in class, no way. But if you were to make a smorgasbord of goodies to be put in the teachers lounge for everyone, that always goes over well at my school!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our schools do not allow homemade goods due to allergies. Maybe a gift would be different.
  • Options
    No it is definitely not expected, so don't stress out too much about it. I would say be careful about edibles though because you never know what dietary restrictions or allergies people have.

• Options
    This is very specific but I'll ask anyway. What about in home providers in high cost of living areas? Anyone?
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • Options
    Last year we brought in some candy and $5 coffee gc to the 4 teachers that were in his room the most and then catered in jimmy johns for lunch for the whole staff. The year before we spent almost 20 each on the 4 main teachers and a small $5ish gift for the others that rotated to his room. I have friends that use an in home and theyve done movie tickets and restaurant gc
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"