Minnesota Babies
Options

Tell me about St. Joseph's Maternity Center

I'm due in a few weeks and am hoping to deliver at Woodwinds.  However midwife warned me this week there's a real possibility I could be diverted to St. Joseph's if they are full/short on midwives at Woodwinds.  I've researched a bit on St. Joseph's just to get comfortable with the idea, but don't really have time to do a tour in the next few weeks.

Would love to hear about anyone's experiences there. 

Re: Tell me about St. Joseph's Maternity Center

• Options
    Hah, I was just going to say, "If you're thinking St. Joe's, look into Woodwinds--it's the same hospital system." but now I see that is your Plan A. :) My husband works for HealthEast (although not on the medical side of things) and says Woodwinds is better (as you know) but it's not like St. Joe's is insufficient or anything. They have quality medical care, too. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    I had both my babies at St. Joe's and I love it there as far as labor, delivery and aftercare. All the nurses and staff were really wonderful. They were definitely not pushy as far as drugs go also if that's what you are planning.

The rooms there are TINY though you do stay in the same room for everything. The food is kinda crappy too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really liked St. Joes. I had my first at Abbott and I preferred the laid back feel of St. Joes. I thought the nurses were great. I thought the rooms were pretty big compared to Abbott (before remodel) or United. The only negative is that they only have a special care nursery, so if your baby has complications hr or she might need to be moved. I would highly recommend St. Joes.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh.. the only other complaint I had about St. Joes is that it took some effort to get a lactation consultant in. All of the nurses are trained, but I really wanted to chat with a certified lactation consultant. If that is something you are interested in, make sure you ask. I think there is a lot of value in working with a certified LC while still in the hospital. It was still a fantastic experience and the care was wonderful.

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Had both my girls at St Joe's. I even had several of the same nurses :) The only part that I didn't like is parking, but they do have free tickets for maternity ward patients and visitors (or at least they did 3-5 years ago.) It is the hospital where our family doctor delivers so I never explored any other options since it would have meant finding a new doctor. I was very pleased with their low c-section rates.
    imageimage
  • Options
    this was helpful i am a first timer and i was interested in st.Joes but didnt know much about it! thanks!

imageimageimage

• Options
    I just toured all 3 (woodwinds, St. Joe's, St. John's).  By far if you can pick I would go with woodwinds, I was more comfortable with St. John's than St. Joe's, but it really comes down to personal preference and how far you are willing to go.  St. John's seemed much calmer, the rooms were bigger, but maybe it just had to do with the time of day I was there.
  • Options
    i would do woodwinds but they are much farther sincei live close to downtown st.paul. i am just very anti united and regions since i have have a lot of bad expiriences with them (not pregnancy wise). Can you just call to set up a tour? i am only 9 weeks i am not sure how that all works.

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"