Success after IF
Options

Lost weight to get pregnant?!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17, always been a little chubby. I'm 24 now and a few months ago had to have a cyst removed that was brought on by TTC with famera. During my laproscopy, my doctor noticed that I have a lot of scar tissue and also am in the beginning stages of Endometriosis. I'm trying to get into shape and lose about 30 pounds in hopes that it helps me get pregnant. I've heard of this helping a lot of women get pregnant naturally. Anyone have any success stories with losing weight to get pregnant?

Re: Lost weight to get pregnant?!

• Options

Well, I recently lost weight before I got my bfp, but I am still heavier than I was when I was TTC #1 and had to go through ART so I don't know if it helps. There was some woman on another forum that I sometimes lurk on that claimed losing 10 lbs was the trick for her, but I seriously gave her the side eye.

I've never really read any studies on this. Any RE I have asked about it acted like my weight was fine even when I was a little overweight.  IDK, my thought process is probably that if you are "obese" and you lose a massive amount of weight, it could make a difference, but I doubt if it makes a huge difference if you are just trying to lose vanity pounds.  But, honestly, I'm just speculating.  I certainly don't think it would hurt to lose weight.  At a minimum, a healthier diet could help...and I think exercise helps, too, because of more blood flow to the ovaries and uterus. 

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    Well I'm probably around 30-40 lbs "overweight". I don't think anyone really looks at me and thinks I'm a cow or anything. But I think it's weird the doctor has never suggested shedding a few pounds. But I'm trying to do that because I heard it helps really well with PCOS to restore hormones to normal
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well I'm probably around 30-40 lbs "overweight". I don't think anyone really looks at me and thinks I'm a cow or anything. But I think it's weird the doctor has never suggested shedding a few pounds. But I'm trying to do that because I heard it helps really well with PCOS to restore hormones to normal
    I don't have PCOS so I don't know, but isn't the weight issue a symptom of the disorder? 

• Options
    Yeah it can make you gain weight and it's very hard to lose it
  • Options

Isn't there a diabetes medicine that is sometimes given to PCOS patients to help them lose weight and to help with fertility?  It seems like my old nanny (who had pcos) was on something like that...maybe menopur? 

You might just make a thread and ask for input from pcos people...I am sorry that I don't know enough to be of much help.

• Options
    I had been on the PCOS diet (low glycemic foods) for about 6 wks when I got pregnant with #2.  Could be just a coincidence but it certainly cant hurt to lose weight and get healthy before getting pregnant.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

I had been on the PCOS diet (low glycemic foods) for about 6 wks when I got pregnant with #2.  Could be just a coincidence but it certainly cant hurt to lose weight and get healthy before getting pregnant.

Now that you mention it @jesselayne8, it took me 3 years to get pregnant with my first. Then I started eating paleo which is no grain, no sugar, no dairy, etc and by nature lower carb. And I got pg with #2 in 3 months. I'm still the same weight as pre pregnancy, but eating a PCOS happy diet.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    There is a woman at my REs office who got pregnant naturally after going to all the top clinics and having multiple failed ivfs. She has been to ccrm, cornell, etc. Lord knows how much she has spent. The only thing she did different wss to start the mega doses of vitamin d our RE puts us all on and to go dairy free and high protein.she went on something called advocare diet. It was not for weight loss though and she has DOR. I think the thought is that in some people things like gluten and dairy cause inflammation.

• Options
    Have you read The Infertility Cure? It's a really good resource on diet for your IF dx. I didn't need to lose weight, but I did change my diet pretty drastically for my fresh IVF cycle and followed a modified version for my FET.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"