May 2012 Moms
Options

bringing food to share

Back when I was a kid (waaaay back :-) ), if you were going to a get together and bringing food, you brought whatever and if someone couldn't eat that particular food or those ingredients for some reason, they just avoided it.  It seems to me that today, more kids have things they can't eat or their parents don't want them to eat, so I'm curious if anyone takes that into consideration when making or buying food to bring somewhere, or if you just make what you feel like.

I'm getting together with some moms and kids tomorrow and I'm usually in the make what you feel like camp, but did decide not to make peanut butter cookies for tomorrow, just in case.

Re: bringing food to share

• Options
    I make what ever unless I know there's a peanut allergy a celiac in the group only because peanuts can be deadly and my sisters a celiac so I know how to and have the stuff the bake gluten free.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options
    DS1 has a peanut allergy. When we meet up with friends I don't expect anyone to cater to him, but I always appreciate it when they do. Luckily for me my friends are great and rarely have things out with peanuts. When they do it's always up and out of reach of the kids. I should probably add that he was also allergic to eggs, milk, and soy. None of those were going to cause more than a rash or an upset stomach. No one catered to those at all and that was totally fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I generally think you should make what you want. If it is a very small group and you know somebody has an allergy I would probably try to accommodate. If it is a large group or there will be lots of other food or you don't know what allergies people have I think bring whatever. I have tried to get in the habit of looking at the labels, though, so if somebody asks I know whether it is peanut free, etc. My nephew recently got diagnosed with a peanut allergy so whenever I am bringing something with him around I just label whatever i cooked whether it is peanut free or not.
  • Options
    maryxc1 said:
     I have tried to get in the habit of looking at the labels, though, so if somebody asks I know whether it is peanut free, etc.

This is a good idea, I'm going to try and make a habit of that, too.

After posting this earlier I realized that I did make peanut butter blossoms last time we all met in the spring and they all vanished!
  • Options
    My niece has allergies and even if you think something is peanut free, eg plain pretzels, my sister does not allow her to eat them unless she knows they are made in a peanut free facility. She also brings my niece her own snacks, so if you bring something with peanuts, label it, but if you make something peanut free, just know that it may not get eaten anyway if the child has allergies...they have no idea if you use the same knife in your PB and then your jelly, and then use that contaminated jelly in another baked good so usually they bring their own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"