August 2012 Moms
Options

S/O Wedding favors

What was the favor for your wedding?? Did guests seem to like it?

Ours was a fridge magnet with our picture, wedding date, and it said 'thank you' somewhere on there. We still have friends/family telling us how much they love it and that they think of us when they see it on their fridge.
SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: S/O Wedding favors

• Options
    BPaws said:

I'm making jam.... For our one day- #2 arrival dependent backyard, fall wedding.

Green jams. Apple and grape and kiwi- all grown in said backyard. So far.... I have 15 decorative jars..... And like 3 friends, so everyone can take 5

The best wedding favors are edible!

• Options
    @BPaws, that's such a great favor! I believe Ambsies had ollaliberry jam as her wedding favors.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    We got married on the summer solstice and the full moon in June is called the "honey moon" where honeymoon originated. So we gave bundles of local honey straws tied with baker's twine. Some used them in their coffee there. Some told me they used them on oatmeal, yogurt or tea after the fact. Kids walked around sucking on them. I thought it was nice.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    BPaws said:
    I'm making jam.... For our one day- #2 arrival dependent backyard, fall wedding. Green jams. Apple and grape and kiwi- all grown in said backyard. So far.... I have 15 decorative jars..... And like 3 friends, so everyone can take 5
    That sounds awesome! I was a coordinator for a wedding once and they did honey. People loved it.

We had a destination wedding so I didn't do favors! Too much of a hassle to travel with them. But everyone was happy to travel to paradise :)
    BFP #1 5/16/11 - M/C 5/20/11 BFP #2 7/26/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 7/28/11 BFP #3 8/31/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 9/10/11 (Worst Birthday Ever!!) BFP #4 12/3/11 DD born 8/13 Perfect in every way!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Looking back mine were kind of lame. But it was 9 years ago so I've learned a lot since then. Anyways, it was a champagne flute(plain, nothing on it)with a wine charm attached to it. We did have a cookie table and people took home bags of cookies too.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    We got married on the summer solstice and the full moon in June is called the "honey moon" where honeymoon originated. So we gave bundles of local honey straws tied with baker's twine. Some used them in their coffee there. Some told me they used them on oatmeal, yogurt or tea after the fact. Kids walked around sucking on them. I thought it was nice.
    Oh I LOVE honey sticks! I didn't realize that people did edible favors back when I was planning my wedding. We love food, so that would've made sense! Oh well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NeneCakiesNeneCakies member
    edited September 2013
    We gave strawberry jam too. My MOH mom and MIL made about 180 small jars. We had fewer than that attend so we had a lot of yummy jam we just recently finished so no waste! The cool part was DH designed a paper wrap that we wrote people's names and table number on so it doubled as the place card. I love twofers!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We probably would have been tore to pieces on the knot. But we did not do favors. We printed out a little note that was put at everyones place setting thanking them for sharing our day with us and saying that in lieu of favors we had made a donation to the american cancer society in my DH's mother's honor. (She passed away 5 months prior to the wedding of cancer that was found on a Wed night and she was taken off life support the next Thurs)

We provided food, refreshments, and dessert for our guests. If they were upset or thought we were rude for not sending some trinket home with them as well I don't really give a fuck. The tribute to my DH's mom meant alot to my FIL and DH's grandmother and it wa the least we could do for them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think I would keep a magnet. The stupidest favor I got was a picture frame with the names of the bride and groom on it. Not every single guest is going to want that. Your mom may want that. Maybe your BFF will but your CWs and second cousins don't. It was a nice enough frame, too, had they left the engraving off. 
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    CrazyDaisy8CrazyDaisy8 member
    edited September 2013
    We did a candy table. People just got a bag and filled it with what they wanted. By the time cocktail hour was done and the wedding party got to the reception it was basically all gone. I would say it was a hit. Oh, it was all candy that matched our color theme as well.
  • Options
    I wrote a witty paragraph that went something like this:  We know the last thing you want to pack in your luggage is some lame favor that you will probably have collecting dust and then throw away in a few months.  And we know you really don't care about having M&Ms with our faces printed, which will probably melt all over your clothes on the way back home.  So, we have a photobooth for you to use because packing pictures is way easier and more memorable than a box with our wedding date on it. 

Obviously, we did a destination wedding.  It was a huge hit.
    photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We probably would have been tore to pieces on the knot. But we did not do favors. We printed out a little note that was put at everyones place setting thanking them for sharing our day with us and saying that in lieu of favors we had made a donation to the american cancer society in my DH's mother's honor. (She passed away 5 months prior to the wedding of cancer that was found on a Wed night and she was taken off life support the next Thurs) We provided food, refreshments, and dessert for our guests. If they were upset or thought we were rude for not sending some trinket home with them as well I don't really give a fuck. The tribute to my DH's mom meant alot to my FIL and DH's grandmother and it wa the least we could do for them.
    we did this too--  no favors and we put out a sign that said we had made donations to charities that were important to family and friends who had passed on. we listed their names and the charities. 
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    edited September 2013

We did donations to the American Cancer Society.  I made up cards explaining it with a cancer awareness ribbon pin attached that I made - these were put at each plate.

We also did a candy buffet.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    I like favors that are consumable/usable - I'm not a trinket person.  We had a candy buffet with take-out containers, and tiny plantable trees.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    SJandVA said:
    Looking back mine were kind of lame. But it was 9 years ago so I've learned a lot since then. Anyways, it was a champagne flute(plain, nothing on it)with a wine charm attached to it. We did have a cookie table and people took home bags of cookies too.

Ours were similar. We filled the plain champagne flutes with white and red M&Ms (our wedding colors). They were arranged in a circle around a simple candleholder on the tables so they were kind of our centerpieces, too.

Maybe we could have done something better, but it fit the criteria of inexpensive and something I wouldn't mind taking home if I was a guest.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My FIL makes maple syrup and other maple items. He made us maple candies that we gave to the guests as favors. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Favors are not customary at a Jewish wedding. We made a donation to a local food pantry in honor of our guests.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We had an October wedding do we did caramel apples!
  • Options
    We probably would have been tore to pieces on the knot. But we did not do favors. We printed out a little note that was put at everyones place setting thanking them for sharing our day with us and saying that in lieu of favors we had made a donation to the american cancer society in my DH's mother's honor. (She passed away 5 months prior to the wedding of cancer that was found on a Wed night and she was taken off life support the next Thurs) We provided food, refreshments, and dessert for our guests. If they were upset or thought we were rude for not sending some trinket home with them as well I don't really give a fuck. The tribute to my DH's mom meant alot to my FIL and DH's grandmother and it wa the least we could do for them.
    we did this too--  no favors and we put out a sign that said we had made donations to charities that were important to family and friends who had passed on. we listed their names and the charities. 
    Us too. We got engaged on a cross country trip on which we visited a lot of national parks, so we made a donation to the parks conservation organizations. I made little cards with ribbons that explained about each park. People seemed to like the idea. I am not into trinkets either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

On the idea of consumable wedding favors, my brother had small white boxes with ribbons at each place setting for his wedding. I opened it and saw a white chocolate seashell. I gave it to DH and told him to to eat it, which he did, in one big bite.

It was soap.

Moral of the story: always be the second person to taste a wedding favor :-)

I'll add to this and say always be the second person to taste the wedding cake. I was at a wedding with what looked like a most delicious chocolate cake. I took my first bite and immediately started gagging and spit it out thinking I had just eaten crap. It wasnt a chocolate cake, it was a prune cake. I know my reaction was due to my being sure I was about to taste chocolate, and then the shock when it was most definitely not chocolate, so maybe if I had given it another chance it wouldn't have been so bad, but I didn't.
  • Options
    We put out apple cider donuts around 10:30. They were a huge hit. Especially to the ones who drank too much and needed a snack to sober up.

We also had a photo booth. But that didn't really count because we owned the company and everyone was expecting it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Rhomonk said:

I wrote a witty paragraph that went something like this:  We know the last thing you want to pack in your luggage is some lame favor that you will probably have collecting dust and then throw away in a few months.  And we know you really don't care about having M&Ms with our faces printed, which will probably melt all over your clothes on the way back home.  So, we have a photobooth for you to use because packing pictures is way easier and more memorable than a box with our wedding date on it. 

Obviously, we did a destination wedding.  It was a huge hit.
    We also did a photobooth for our destination wedding and filled a huge (novelty) wine glass with macadamia nut kisses as well bc they are only exclusive in Hawaii where we had our wedding.

We did "save the date" photo magnets that were surprisingly a big hit. (I don't do magnets so I probably would've tossed it) Fast fwd 5 yrs and its kinda nice to visit ppl and see our magnets on their fridge useful in some sense.

SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• Options
    JulieMarie21JulieMarie21 member
    edited September 2013

We had a November wedding and did caramel apples too! Delicious!
  • Options
    Ours were super cute at the time.  I ordered them off of etsy.  They were little thyme seed and dirt bricks in the shapes of hearts in a cute little clay pot and wrapped up in tulle, with our wedding date and a short recipe on how to use them in a traditional Portuguese dish (DH's family is Portuguese). On the front it said "It's about thyme!" with a cute little poem, since DH and I were together 8 years before we got married lol.

Sounds cute on paper, but in reality, those little things never sprouted, not any of mine, none of my family's, no ones.  It was the biggest waste of $300+ ever.

Moral of the story, always get a sample before you order a whole lot.

• Options
    We had a candy buffet. The wedding I directed last weekend had plants as their favor. Not very many people took them. Who wants a favor that requires work? Lol.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Peppermints with snowflakes on the tin. It was a winter wedding. They all took them home, so I don't know if they ate them or not.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Options
    We got a bunch of sample wine from a local winery. The owner is a family friend so we only paid $40 for 100 little bottles of wine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We donated money to a scholarship in honor of dh's mom who passed away when he was 8. We printed a small note and left it at everyone's setting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I bought little bags and put a mixture of M&M's in that matched the colors of the bridesmaids dresses (Blue, green, yellow, pink, orange.)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We did little boxes of Junior mints or yogurt covered raisins (alternated around the tables).  I picked Junior mints b/c it's one of DH's & my favorite candies, and then when I found that the only way to get them in bulk is to get a gazillion of those little boxes (which I then opened one by one to put in the decorative boxes I bought), and there still weren't enough to fill my decorative boxes, I had to go out & get the yogurt raisins to fill the rest.

I don't know that our guests cared one way or the other.  I took a lot of them home after the wedding & ate them myself (mostly the raisins - I think people ate the Junior mints).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    BPaws said:

We had a November wedding and did caramel apples too! Delicious!
    That is a really awesome idea!! Did you make them yourselves?

I did not, but my mom, aunts and sisters did. they made them 2 nights before the wedding. My aunt owns a restaurant so they stored them in a large refrigerator at her restaurant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"