August 2012 Moms
Options

UO!!!

What will get the ladies' panties all in a bunch this week? Tune in for another gripping tale of UO A12 Style!!
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: UO!!!

• Options
    Here's mine. It's lame. I think it is beyond stupid for warmer climates to close their pools and spray parks right after Labor Day. It's only just getting tolerable enough to be at the pool and you close it? Eff that noise. That makes sense for Northern Wisconsin but not DC. They should be open until October 1.
    I agree! I remember being so ticked off when I first moved to Virginia and it was warm before Memorial Day. I moved from FL where the pools never close. It was so weird to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cedenton said:

Here's mine. It's lame. I think it is beyond stupid for warmer climates to close their pools and spray parks right after Labor Day. It's only just getting tolerable enough to be at the pool and you close it? Eff that noise. That makes sense for Northern Wisconsin but not DC. They should be open until October 1.

I agree! I remember being so ticked off when I first moved to Virginia and it was warm before Memorial Day. I moved from FL where the pools never close. It was so weird to me.

It was hot in the Midwest yesterday too but that never mattered to me because I just could go to the beach. The guarded beaches closed after labor day (which really means swim at your own risk) but not the unguarded ones. They still put flags up telling you if it's safe.

• Options

Here is my UO of the week.  I absolutely can not stand people that find it IMPOSSIBLE to show up to work on time.  The day starts at 8:30, that means be working at 8:30!!!!

Ruh-ro, I arrived at 8:38 today. And pretty much everyday. I also worked at home until midnight almost everyday this week to meet deadline. Relax about my missing 8-10 minutes, you don't know my lyyfe! I'm gonna eat breakfast at my desk now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It was hot in the Midwest yesterday too but that never mattered to me because I just could go to the beach. The guarded beaches closed after labor day (which really means swim at your own risk) but not the unguarded ones. They still put flags up telling you if it's safe.
    In the Philly area, mostly everything closes down after Labor Day due to budgets, insurance cost and low demand once kids are back in school.  Some city pools here close before Labor Day, and some don't even open at all because of lack of budget.
    photo judgejudy.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hate it when people don't proofread. It doesn't take that long; do us all a favor and check before you post.
  • Options

Run tell that! It was like 90 yesterday in Central VA.

We were in the 90's too, in northern VA. I could have taken DD2 to the pool while DD1 was at school.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    It annoys me when people judge what other people spend on stuff.  I guess I just don't see why other people care what I spend my money on.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    Becc77 said:
    Women, in general, annoy me. I have only three very close female friends, and they feel the same way I do. Maybe it's because I grew up with a brother and only male cousins, but I find I don't enjoy most women I meet as much as I do men. This is nothing sexual-it's based on personality alone. I would 1000 times rather work in a male only environment than have to deal with female office politics
    I swear we were birthed from the same mother.  Put me in a room with 20 guys and I'm in heaven.  I can drink, cuss, talk about movies, and shoot pool.  Put me in a room with 20 ladies and I can still drink and cuss (depending on the people), but most ladies prefer to talk about their newest vacuum or store purchases. 

Now, if I'm out with a small group of girls, then that's different because we already know each other and it's a small group.  But if I'm at a party (like I've been to one in the past...two years?!) and it's mostly women, then I'm looking over at all the guys wondering what they're talking about.
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Add me to the list of women haters!

H has a lot of female friends too and I couldn't possibly care less. Being the jealous type just means you don't trust your spouse.

ETA: Like @WhtRssnGrl, I do have female friends and can talk to other women but I always gravitate to the men at parties.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    In reference to being at work on time, it does matter a lot in certain circumstances. When I was making wedding cakes, if a worker was ten minutes late during wedding season, man did that piss is off! That just meant extra work for those of us who were considerate enough to show up on time. And when you're working from 12:00 until 2:00ish--or when all 80 cakes are done--then an extra ten minutes does make a difference.

Also, when you're a teacher of any kind, you really can't be late. When I was the early person for preK, I obviously couldn't be late because parents would be pretty annoyed waiting around ten minutes. If the late person was late, I'd usually be up to more than ten kids by then, which is over numbers. I'd either have to call the director or be over standards.

Certain jobs it doesn't really matter. H's job is mostly do your work whenever as long as you make deadlines. Not every job is like that. It's really selfish if being late means others have to scramble to make up for it.

Edited. Sorry @LindsayDesigner! I know I'm one if the culprits!

• Options
    In reference to women being annoying and parties in general, I went to a Christmas party with DH at one of his friend's houses years ago.  OMG, it was so incredibly boring.  All the women got together and were chatting and all the men were incredibly stuffy (it was a weird crowd).  We grabbed our other guy friend and went and got drunk and watched the Bulls game in his bedroom for the whole party.  It was amazing.
  • Options
    I hate it when parents pressure their kids to be radically different because they think its cool, for example my cousin is goth and she paints her 5 year old sons nails black and dyed streaks of red in his hair because "he likes it"and "that's what he wants" but he told my DH at the last family reunion that "he wishes he never let his mom talk him into it, because he hates it and all the other kids are mean to him". They live in the middle of rural Indiana for goodness sakes, it's not like its something common. She knew when she did it the kind of problems it would cause for him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I hate it when parents pressure their kids to be radically different because they think its cool, for example my cousin is goth and she paints her 5 year old sons nails black and dyed streaks of red in his hair because "he likes it"and "that's what he wants" but he told my DH at the last family reunion that "he wishes he never let his mom talk him into it, because he hates it and all the other kids are mean to him". They live in the middle of rural Indiana for goodness sakes, it's not like its something common. She knew when she did it the kind of problems it would cause for him.

If goth was "different," The Crow wouldn't be coming up on its 20th birthday. Goodness, I'm old.

ETA: I say this in agreement with you. I hate when people act like they're "different" when 5,000,000 other people have the same definition of different.

• Options
    BPaws said:
    I will never like a person's picture on Instagram no matter how cute their kid is if it is hashtagged #babypolo, #babysperrys, #stylintoddler, #ralphlauren, etc. It screams "Look at me and how materialistic I am!" I refuse to encourage that.
    I agree to an extent! I don't care so much about the materialism.... But I really don't care where you bought Every. Single. Item. Of. Clothing. A white onesie from Ralph Lauren? Cool! But it looks just like the white onesie from Carter's. I have a friend who posts multiple pictures daily of her 2 year old DD and describes every article of clothing- including price. Every picture! I don't see the point. It comes across as really braggy.... And also.... Sorry future children, I will not be buying you a $96 cashmere sweater before you start elementary school.
    I don't judge the fact that people buy those things. Do what you want with your money, I don't care. I just can't stand the bragging and showing off. It makes people look shallow, like the only thing they care about is their stuff.
    Agreed. Hashtag the hell out of how cute you think your kid is but no need for the brand of clothes you can afford. 

• Options
    Becc77 said:
    Women, in general, annoy me. I have only three very close female friends, and they feel the same way I do. Maybe it's because I grew up with a brother and only male cousins, but I find I don't enjoy most women I meet as much as I do men. This is nothing sexual-it's based on personality alone. I would 1000 times rather work in a male only environment than have to deal with female office politics
    Its odd that you are in this group. FYI- we're all women :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My UO is that I hate when ppl wear winter/fall clothes with summer clothes. For example, long sleeved shirt with shorts. Or shorts and boots with tank top. MAKE up your mind, is it cold or hot. Lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm siding with the don't brag about your stuff people today. I can't help but think of a college friend who constantly shares the brand and price of her latest shopping spree or redecorating project. When we visited her the weekend DH and I got engaged she was more excited about her new Louis Vuitton handbag than our news and went out to breakfast with us without any money in her fancy fucking purse so we had to pay for her!?! She would scam me all the time in college too and I was the one on work study and her parents gave her an allowance. I've slowly parted ways with this person. $-)

• Options
    edited September 2013

Becc77 said:

I know this is going to make me sound like a major hypocrite but I was really glad when our token dad left.

For me, I was horribly bullied by girls growing up. I always had great guy friends so I'm sure I just feel more comfortable with men because of what happened in my forming years. I did have a female BFF and when I got to college, I learned how to find girls like me. But before college, many of the girls I met sucked.

• Options
    I think it must be the type of women some of you guys are socializing with bc I have some awesome girlfriends...and they don't talk about vacuums! And lots of them love sports (although I don't!) It's a whole gender... people vary.
    Don't get me wrong, my very best girlfriends are amazing.  They don't talk about vacuums.  What I'm referring to in my post is being in a large group setting with a bunch of other ladies who may not know each other very well.  With regular chit-chat, it always ends up getting extremely BORING.
  • Options
    And, really? Bitchez be talkin about shoes and vacuums? Really???

*le sigh*
    Yes, it's sad isn't it?  I went to a party once where the women were in one room and the husbands went in another (all the guys were good friends, the wives were acquaintances).  The men were laughing and roaring and talking about the latest movies and I sat there and listened to some of the wives talking about the new vacuums they bought on sale.  I wanted to stab myself in the eye.  That shit is annoying.
  • Options

*le sigh*

Yes, it's sad isn't it?  I went to a party once where the women were in one room and the husbands went in another (all the guys were good friends, the wives were acquaintances).  The men were laughing and roaring and talking about the latest movies and I sat there and listened to some of the wives talking about the new vacuums they bought on sale.  I wanted to stab myself in the eye.  That shit is annoying.

I'm sorry but that did not happen!

• Options

*le sigh*
    I'm sorry but that did not happen!
    Oh, yes...yes, it did.  My sister was with me and we just looked at each other and went outside and had a cigarette (back in the day when I was all pro-health and smoking and shit).

• Options

Becc77 said:

I know this is going to make me sound like a major hypocrite but I was really glad when our token dad left.

For me, I was horribly bullied by girls growing up. I always had great guy friends so I'm sure I just feel more comfortable with men because of what happened in my forming years. I did have a female BFF and when I got to college, I learned how to find girls like me. But before college, many of the girls I met sucked.

This, to me, is the heart of the problem! I think you're spot-on here. I know a lot of people aren't going to agree with me (which is fine) but this is how I see it:

Women, from the time we are capable of understanding basic socialization, are taught that we are in constant competition with other women. Looks, smarts, artistic ability, whatever. We're taught to take note of other women's abilities, turn them into character judgments, then rate ourselves against them. I'm pretty sure this originated with the idea that women need to compete for the attention of men, though I'm optimistic about the decline of that viewpoint in recent years. Still, the impulse remains.

I'm NOT above this, I can't tell you how many times as a child I remember my mom and I driving home from a birthday party or whatever, analyzing the rest of the girls there. Of course we didn't CALL it "analyzing", we were just "discussing the party". If I couldn't think of anything a girl had said or done that was wrong/bad/uncool/whatever, I would think she was better than me. If I could find some flaw in her, though, I could think of myself as better than her. Obviously it's going to feel better to think of yourself as superior to someone rather than inferior, so the hunt was always on to find flaws and shortcomings. This turns into the ridiculous bullying and social pressure most of us are all too familiar with. As such, we have intense memories of other girls being horrible bitches, and our male friends as being our solace. 

I think, though, that the key to fixing this problem is in trying to raise our daughters with the paradigm that people are just people. You can judge them individually, but there's no reason to focus on your own gender as your specific competition in life. It'll help them stop giving men a free pass, and stop judging their fellow women as though life is a zero sum game.

You're right, of course that's what it is. But I can't go back and fix that experience. I had a moment when I got to college (after best friending all the guys on my floor and watching South Park in their rooms every night) where I thought, "Wow, you're all nice!" about my group of girlfriends I'd made. It was truly eye opening.

• Options
    Oh, and @AggieDaner, I'm just referring to women socializing at a party (or an outside setting like that), not at the workplace.  I've worked with some annoying, vapid men and I actually love my female coworkers.  They've become people I can trust and count on, while three of the men I work with I can't trust at all.
  • Options

You're right, of course that's what it is. But I can't go back and fix that experience. I had a moment when I got to college (after best friending all the guys on my floor and watching South Park in their rooms every night) where I thought, "Wow, you're all nice!" about my group of girlfriends I'd made. It was truly eye opening.
    Oh, no worries. I don't expect anyone to, like, time travel and fix their old ways of thinking. After all, Harry and his friends accidentally smashed all the time-turners when they were in the ministry looking for Sirius. My whole rambling spiel was more of a ~*children are the future*~ thing. :-)

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think there is just as much stupid gossip that comes from men as there is from women, including in the workplace. Growing up, I identified with guys more than girls. I was a tomboy and "one of the guys" and it probably is why I was such a late bloomer in the dating world (and then acted all slutty when I was in college.) I find myself relating more to women now, because I have found a niche that has the same interests as me. But still, there is gossip and conversations about things I just don't care about. I just dot let that but get to me.

My UO: maybe this goes back to my days on TK, but I don't understand how so many women can get so up in arms about how perfectly you must treat your guests at a wedding, like I'm talking down to the perfect food, favors, drinks, temperature conditions. Maybe it's just my family, but any wedding I've been to I dont think anyone cared about the favors or what the food was like. We just are what was there, drank what was there, danced, and had fun. TK (and occasionally my mom) really stressed me out about having the perfect everything when all I really cared about was making sure I enjoyed the day. I ended up spending too much money on all that other crap and had a ton of favors and excess booze and leftover food. Guess what, none of my guests complained about anything (well, except my step MIL who felt she should have been mentioned in dh's thank you toast, but that's a different story for a different day.)
  • Options
    I think there is just as much stupid gossip that comes from men as there is from women, including in the workplace. Growing up, I identified with guys more than girls. I was a tomboy and "one of the guys" and it probably is why I was such a late bloomer in the dating world (and then acted all slutty when I was in college.) I find myself relating more to women now, because I have found a niche that has the same interests as me. But still, there is gossip and conversations about things I just don't care about. I just dot let that but get to me. My UO: maybe this goes back to my days on TK, but I don't understand how so many women can get so up in arms about how perfectly you must treat your guests at a wedding, like I'm talking down to the perfect food, favors, drinks, temperature conditions. Maybe it's just my family, but any wedding I've been to I dont think anyone cared about the favors or what the food was like. We just are what was there, drank what was there, danced, and had fun. TK (and occasionally my mom) really stressed me out about having the perfect everything when all I really cared about was making sure I enjoyed the day. I ended up spending too much money on all that other crap and had a ton of favors and excess booze and leftover food. Guess what, none of my guests complained about anything (well, except my step MIL who felt she should have been mentioned in dh's thank you toast, but that's a different story for a different day.)
    I didn't have favors for our guests.  I never liked favors, so I didn't get them for other people.  I feel kind of bad now because I wonder if it really is etiquette to give people a "Thank you" at the reception, but damn it, I wrote personalized thank you letters after the wedding/reception!!  And they got free food and booze, so they should consider themselves lucky (teasing, of course).
  • Options
    If we expect our kids to see people as people, we have to unplug from the mindless entertainment and let them experience other humans without the ignorant concepts already ingrained in their minds.

Before I even got on here and read the other UOs, mine was going to be something along the lines of 'I am not ok with my child learning about our world through the eyes of the entertainment world.'

I'm amazed at people who complain about "the culture today" and "impossible standards for women", and yet there they are partaking in the avenues by which these ideals are brought to us.
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think there is just as much stupid gossip that comes from men as there is from women, including in the workplace. Growing up, I identified with guys more than girls. I was a tomboy and "one of the guys" and it probably is why I was such a late bloomer in the dating world (and then acted all slutty when I was in college.) I find myself relating more to women now, because I have found a niche that has the same interests as me. But still, there is gossip and conversations about things I just don't care about. I just dot let that but get to me.

My UO: maybe this goes back to my days on TK, but I don't understand how so many women can get so up in arms about how perfectly you must treat your guests at a wedding, like I'm talking down to the perfect food, favors, drinks, temperature conditions. Maybe it's just my family, but any wedding I've been to I dont think anyone cared about the favors or what the food was like. We just are what was there, drank what was there, danced, and had fun. TK (and occasionally my mom) really stressed me out about having the perfect everything when all I really cared about was making sure I enjoyed the day. I ended up spending too much money on all that other crap and had a ton of favors and excess booze and leftover food. Guess what, none of my guests complained about anything (well, except my step MIL who felt she should have been mentioned in dh's thank you toast, but that's a different story for a different day.)

I didn't have favors for our guests.  I never liked favors, so I didn't get them for other people.  I feel kind of bad now because I wonder if it really is etiquette to give people a "Thank you" at the reception, but damn it, I wrote personalized thank you letters after the wedding/reception!!  And they got free food and booze, so they should consider themselves lucky (teasing, of course).

The whole topic of favors ran me off my month board on TK. I got hit with some snark from this one chick and she made me cry (FFTC?) I didn't venture on TK for the last half of my wedding planning. Lol
  • Options
    Weddings! Can we do another wedding gtky? I like them. Almost 4 yrs later and I still like wedding shows on tv!

• Options

The whole topic of favors ran me off my month board on TK. I got hit with some snark from this one chick and she made me cry (FFTC?) I didn't venture on TK for the last half of my wedding planning. Lol

You were run off your board? I have thrown out every indelible wedding favor I've ever gotten. I don't need a champagne flute with your names on it.

• Options

You were run off your board? I have thrown out every indelible wedding favor I've ever gotten. I don't need a champagne flute with your names on it.

Right? I always think, "what do they really expect me to do with this?". And then I hold onto it longer than I should out of guilt

• Options
    Working in a kitchen, you can't be late. I get so mad when the same jerk is always late. We have one hour to set up for dinner. If you are ten minutes late, that sets ME back ten minutes. I was always taught that if your shift starts at 4, you get there at 3:45.

I totally had a UO yesterday, but I forget it.

Also, maybe it's because I'm in my early 20s, but I have never had to sit around at a party, and talk about house stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"