Food Allergy
Options

Epipen issue at school....

Sorry this is long.... DS will be in pre-k 3... Same school as last year and teacher was great and accommodating. I have an u easy feeling the his allergies were brushed over. Only had a brief convo with his teacher in the class on the meet and greet day with other parents and kids their. I did tell them when to use epipen. The following day I dropped off his epipen and allergy plan... Teacher wanted it to go to the office so they could set up his special box. I said I wasn't comfortable that I wanted it with him at all times. Spoke with secretary who said she would bring it back to the teacher. I asked who would explain the action plan and epipen... She said the teacher would read it. She was rude and dismissive of me. I asked for a meeting with the teacher and she just said I thought we discussed this already. Would a brief convo in the class and them " reading " the plan be enough for you. I am worried. Also don't know the plan for birthday and holiday parties. Does a letter go home that their is an allergic child and what precautions to take before coming to school? Can children wipe before coming into the class? Should I discuss with director or go to the teacher again? DS is allergic to eggs and peanuts.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Epipen issue at school....

• Options
    Do you know if the teacher is certified to administer medication? Or is it someone else on the staff? I always gave DD's epipens to the office staff because that's where they kept it when DD wasn't in school. Before class the teachers would get the meds and bring them wherever DD was, classroom, playground, walks. The teacher sent a note home about allergies on the first day, and the school policy is that all kids wash hands as soon as they come into the classroom. I always felt like the school culture was to take allergies seriously. I pulled DD out of another preschool because I didn't feel comfortable with how they handled it. I would speak with the director about all of your concerns, and if you don't feel good about how they are managing things I would find a different school. I couldn't handle being so worried about DD every time I dropped her off.
  • Options
    Thanks! When I hot to school yesterday the teacher actually asked to speak with me and she said she wanted more info about DS and even came up with a birthday/ holiday party plan, I will be the one that makes the baked treat to ensure it is safe for DS. I spoke with the director and they will be sending a letter home! I'm do relieved and feel much better. I even discussed recent cases of severe allergic rxns in other children. Seems like they were way more responsive. Ugh! Glad that stress is relieved a bit! Thank u!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Didn't realize food allergies fell under 504! Will look into it for Kindrgarten!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"