October 2013 Moms
Options

Snacks for hospital

I am trying to wrap up our hospital bag. I want to pack some snacks for DH and myself after delivery.

So far I have granola bars, mixed nuts and candy. I will probably add some Oreos, individual fruit cups/applesauce. I'll also grab any fresh fruit available in the house when I go into labor.

I'm stuck thinking of other ideas. What are you taking to munch on?

Re: Snacks for hospital

• Options
    Hadn't even thought about it! Last time soooo many people brought food to me that my room was like a foodstore. I had tons of cookies, cupckaes, etc.

Granola bars seem like a good idea, though. :)
  • Options
    I'm allowed to eat during labor so I plan on bringing energy foods thay aren't too filling. Almonds, dates, Luna bars, nutriagran bars.

For post baby- deft Gatorade, a few large bottles of water, some fresh fruit, leftover labor foods. Not really over thinking it- there's a galley and a gas station down the road.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Food is at the bottom of my list. I'm not worried about it or over-thinking it. I will pack a few for my BF (whatever we have in the house) and some drinks only because I don't want to spend money at the hospital.  Post birth, my BF is going to get us some REAL food.   

• Options
    NRyan55 said:
    Is this really what it has come to? We can't even pack some raisins and granola bars without checking to see what flavors others might be packing?! Ask yourself: what do I like to eat as a snack? Put that into a bag. Done.
    I have wanted to use that gif for like a week!
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options
    Is it bad that I don't really care if I have food with me or not? Between the hospital and nearby stores, I'll get food one way or another.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    and LOL that you are even thinking you are going to have some raging appetite.   i was hungry temporarily, had a hospital dinner, and then could  barely eat for 2 weeks after.    fear of going to the bathroom/ hormones/ wanting to sleep trumped all thoughts of food.   you're welcome.

What? I wish I didn't have an appetite. I've always been starving when I first start BF. The food they have given at the hospital has always been enough... iv'e never needed my own snacks. 
  • Options
    There is a breakfast and lunch buffet on the maternity ward at my hospital so I am not worrying about snacks.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options
    MegN423 said:
    and LOL that you are even thinking you are going to have some raging appetite.   i was hungry temporarily, had a hospital dinner, and then could  barely eat for 2 weeks after.    fear of going to the bathroom/ hormones/ wanting to sleep trumped all thoughts of food.   you're welcome.

What? I wish I didn't have an appetite. I've always been starving when I first start BF. The food they have given at the hospital has always been enough... iv'e never needed my own snacks. 
    oh, it kicked in after a week or so and i became a ravenous beast, but for a good ten days i was forcing myself to eat.  i was more thirsty than anything.

• Options

brie, a baguette, prosciutto crudo, watercress and a great bottle of olive oil!  

I want all of these things right now!
  • Options
    I'm not packing food. There will be enough to go in there let alone thinking about food. I WILL pack some quarters for the vending machines in case I get a knarly craving for a pack of Oreos. There will also be plenty of people there, my DH included, that can go get me/us anything we need/want.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    My hospital's nugget ice is all I wanted last time.  And a coke.  I had a strange urge for a coke the next day.

• Options
    I'm allowed to have snacks during labor also. My midwifes only request is that it's something mostly soft, so it doesn't hurt if/when I puke during transition. So I usually pack yogurt covered raisins. I like to have some snacks for the hospital stay. Just something simple like train mix. Even if I don't eat much of it during my stay, I'll be sure to pound it during the next few weeks.
    Eleanor 1/8/10 Harriet 1/19/12 Margaret 10/31/2013
  • Options
    I packed some hard candies and gum just so I have something with flavor to suck on other than ice chips. If H wants snacks he can pack them or go to the vending machine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have you checked what the hospital will offer you? Our one has a snack pantry right outside my room lol with everything from crackers to fresh fruit to cereal bars to milky way hot chocolate... I'm getting me some of that later!!
  • Options
    anamouse said:
    I'm allowed to eat during labor so I plan on bringing energy foods thay aren't too filling. Almonds, dates, Luna bars, nutriagran bars. For post baby- deft Gatorade, a few large bottles of water, some fresh fruit, leftover labor foods. Not really over thinking it- there's a galley and a gas station down the road.
    You might want to consider foods that won't hurt coming back up... I was told if I can have anything during labour to do broths and soft foods.
    oh yes this.  i almost stopped to get food on the way in when my water broke and  THANK GOD i did not.  when i transitioned it was a master disaster barf-fest

• Options
    The hospital I'm going to also has a free snack pantry that can and will be raided in the middle of the night! As far as packing special foods, I'm really not concerned about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MegN423 said:

oh, it kicked in after a week or so and i became a ravenous beast, but for a good ten days i was forcing myself to eat.  i was more thirsty than anything.
    All of this.  Besides meals I wasn't really hungry for the first several days.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    All I wanted was a huge glass of ice water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it bad that I don't really care if I have food with me or not? Between the hospital and nearby stores, I'll get food one way or another.
    Agree with this. I can send someone to the store for some food. I'd rather have a burger than a granola bar.
  • Options
    I packed snacks last time. None were eaten. If DH was hungry he left to go get food. I had a relatively short labor but still, going all that time w/o eating I would have punched anyone in the face that thought it was a good idea to eat in front of me. 

• Options
    I am planning on bringing some hard candy, some gum and a few honey sticks for myself. I have told DH that he should bring some snacks because he likes to eat a lot. So, if he wants some he can just grab some stuff from home. (cheese sticks, crackers, applesauce, fruit) I am not really going to worry about any real food for myself. There will be family there and they will be more than willing to run and get something if I need something. 
    Anniversary

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    my hospital feeds me plenty, and there's an au bon pain in the lobby for dh. 
    imageimage

• Options
    pmarie33 said:
    My hospital's nugget ice is all I wanted last time.  And a coke.  I had a strange urge for a coke the next day.

OMG THE ICE IS THE BEST.

• Options
    Omg I was starving afterwards and everyone left because it was so late. Food is a big must this time around!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The nurse who did our childbirth class mentioned bringing freezer pops to suck on during labor and I am definitely doing this. I love them on a regular basis anyway.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

MegN423 said:

Same for me. I spent the first week to ten days after our daughter was born drinking water like a camel, but havjg to force myself to eat anything. It was like my taste buds and appetite were just dead--even though I had a super easy vaginal labor, didn't have to take post-partum pain pills, and fast physical recovery. My husband was concerned and tried to tempt me with all my favorites, but nothing seemed good.

After about a week, I loved food in a way that I have never experienced in my entire life. I would finish breakfast and immediately start planning an amazing lunch. And still the weight just dropped off...looking forward to hoping that his happens again, except I could do without the dead taste buds this time around!!
  • Options
    During labor I'm taking miso soup and lollipops for me and the hospital offers jello, pudding, gatorade, and popsicles. For my husband I'll bring jerky, trail mix, crackers, and energy drinks. For afterwards I'll probably pack another bag of jerky and some chips. Oh, and during early labor I plan on making cupcakes to celebrate the birth of our newest addition. I'll be snacking on those :p
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Bwhagahaha!!! You need help packing snacks....seriously.
    Due October 29
  • Options
    Rice krispie treats, fruit rollups, and probably also some peanut butter crackers. 
    photo IMAG0561-002-Copy2-Copy_zps16abfae1.jpg
  • Options
    To be honest, I never even thought to pack snacks until reading this post. I didn't last time either. That must've been why DH and I had pizza ordered to the hospital a couple hours after I had DS (it was late in the evening). I think I might pack a few munchies this time now that I think of it.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to not dukey in the docs face when I had my first DS...I'm not risking it by eating anything with this one either...during labor. After delivery I had a big ol' sandwich and was starving.

CV-you cracked me up!!

Pack whatever you guys enjoy. I don't think any of us know what you like.
  • Options
    I didn't pack any snacks at all for DD and didn't need them.  The maternity ward in my hospital has a snack room full of free food and drinks... it's supposed to be just for the patients, but DH totally ate some, too.  We were well taken care of!
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    I didn't pack any snacks when I had my son & wish I had. I had a c-section at 1pm and was sent to recovery for a couple of hours. Then because of a high volume of births that day, I had to wait several more hours for a room assignment. By the time I got to a room, food service had stopped for the night. Our hospital doesn't allow outside food delivery so I was stuck with whatever we could get from the vending machine. I was starving and didn't get any real food until the next day, which was about 36 hours from my last meal (fasting for surgery).

The regular post-partum wing has a small snack area that's open 24 hours. They have drinks, jello, Popsicles, and crackers. Due to the overflow issues, I was not in that wing though.

This time I have PB crackers, granola bars, yogurt raisins, fruit, mini cookies, and a candy bar.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We had Clif bars packed and I am glad I did. Although they gave me a sandwich immediately after DS was born (midnight), I passed out in the bathroom around 4am. I was glad to have the Clif bar to eat after I came to. Otherwise, the hospital had plenty and good food. And my dad brought pizza and beer the day after DS was born. Mmmm!
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kdjudd said:
    Oh, and during early labor I plan on making cupcakes to celebrate the birth of our newest addition.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"