August 2012 Moms
Options

Hand preference

At what age do children have a dominant hand?  DS seems to be favoring his left hand and has been for a while but I know it's still early. 

What hands do your LOs use?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hand preference

• Options
    @nobadwriting - thanks again for the carseat rec!  I got it on Amazon for $90!

• Options
    I would be surprised if Howell was a righty because H and I are both south paws. He seems to eat left handed but sometimes I see him using his right too.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Amir is all rightie. Hand preference is not official till I think 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD seems to be a rightie. She'll use either but more often than not will switch an item to her right hand to play/eat/brush/etc.

• Options
    Hand preference isn't established until 2 or 3, but W uses both hands pretty equally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    JayandEmm said:

Hand preference isn't established until 2 or 3, but W uses both hands pretty equally.

That's true but it can arise earlier.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    Grins04Grins04 member
    edited September 2013
    We thought for sure my son was going to be a lefty...he used that hand soo much more than his right, until maybe 2-2.5 years? Then around closer to 3 you could tell he was a righty for sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS eats mostly with his left hand, but mostly throws with his right. So it's a toss up still.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    According to DS' s neurologist, age 2 or later. Any earlier may indicate a problem. He was actually happy when we said DS didn't have a preference yet
  • Options
    See if you notice a difference of hand choice depending on what side the toy or food is on. Most kids this age don't consciously cross their mid line so will tend to use left hand when objects are placed on left and vise versa. They still have a long time to decide hand dominency and will most likely experiment with both. It might take some children until 4yrs to develop hand dominance.
  • Options
    Liam loves to use his left hand.... he will reach uncomfortably across his body to grab things with his left instead of his right... We've been noticing that lately.
    Born 8.24.12 at 8:44pm (4 days early) 8lbs 3oz!
  • Options
    I would say fairly equal at this point. She eats with both, picks things up with both, etc. Dss is a lefty, DH and I are both right handed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"