School-Aged Children
Options

Bike sizes

When did your kid go into a size 18 or 20 inch bike and if they had an 18in when did they outgrow it? And approximately what is their height percentiles? DS is around 65th percentile and outgrowing his 16in but too sort for most 20in.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Bike sizes

• Options
    DD is 7 and in the 25th %ile for height. She's right around 46.5" tall. She got a hand-me-down 20" bike (with hand brakes and gears) for her 7th birthday and she rides it just fine. It's a tad big for her but not so big she can't handle it. Her previous bike was a 16". I think an 18" bike would probably fit her better but she will be able to ride this one for much longer - and it was free from my sister  :)
  • Options
    My son learned on a 20 inch bike.  He just turned 9, measures at 4'7", and he could probably move up to a 24" bike, but he's still comfortable on his 20".

We are thinking Christmas or 10th birthday next year for a new bike.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NB, how old was he when he learned?
  • Options
    He was a little older -- 7.  We live on a dangerous road.  We have to drive the bikes to another location to ride them.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    FWIW DS just learned this year at 6.5. He was not really interested before either but we live on a neighborhood street that is a through street and he still cannot manage it well. Then he feel and took a chunk out of his shin and he has only really ridden around 8 or so times!

Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    I think my oldest is on a 18 inch, he is 7, almost 8. He started on a 12 inch at 3 and a half, moved to an 18 inch on his 6th birthday. He is in the 25% for height. He could def handle a bigger bike.

My middle son is on a 12 inch, he is almost 6. We could probably move him in the spring. He is average for height. He can ride his bike very well, I just don't think he is ready for a bigger one quite yet.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"