Cloth Diapering
Options

Cloth Diaper Service

Do any of you use a cloth diaper service? I am a first-time mommy who will be working full time after maternity leave and all of this is very new to me! Please let me know of any advice or companies that you work with to pick up, deliver and wash your diapers. 
Thank you! 

Re: Cloth Diaper Service

• Options
    you'll want to ask your local board about this, or look things up for your specific state/city. we're all over the place, i could (theoretically) tell you what's here in Atlanta but that doesn't help you if you're in San Francisco. HTH!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I had a service with my daughter for a few months. Honestly, it's a waste of money. You pay about the same amount as sposies, you only typically get 1 kind of diaper, you still have to buy and wash your own covers, and most daycares will not take CDs unless thet are AIOs or Pockets. Since services usually give you prefolds that's not a good option. It's really not that hard to wash it yourself. I was a single working mother and could keepup with it, even when I was washing daily because I only had a days worth of dipes.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    msjanet02msjanet02 member
    edited September 2013
    i considered going with a service for the first month, just so we wouldnt' be overwhelmed with laundry in addition to everything that comes with figuring out what to do with a newborn. but after attending info sessions, researching, and comparing prices (there are 2 organic services here in los angeles at about $100/mo + $25 rental/start-up fee), i decided i'd just build my newborn stash a little more and do it on my own.

i already bought detergent, a diaper pail, pail liner, deo disks, several wet bags, and had a handful of NB size covers. when i asked if i could opt out of the diaper pail rental ($25/mo) since i had my own, i was told no. and i asked if they provided covers, which they didn't. so i'd have to buy my own covers anyway. so really all i'd get are 80 prefolds that they would launder for me each week. forget that. i bought my own stash of NB organic prefolds, some fitteds, and a couple AIOs and will be going at it on my own from the get-go. 
  • Options
    We use our local diaper service and I LOVE it. I wouldn't CD if we didn't use a service. There isn't a cost savings if that's your goal. Our goal is to prevent disposables from going to a landfill. We get 70 prefolds delivered on our porch each week in a garbage bag for about $80/mo. we put that garbage bag in a kitchen step can in the nursery for the dirty diapers, and then they pick up the dirties from our porch at the same time as the drop off of clean ones. It's no more work than disposables. Yes, we do have to use our own covers, but nbd, theyre super fun to pick out! You only need 4-5 and we like the Thirsties kind with snaps that can grow with your kid. New they're around $12 or at kids clothing consignment stores you can get them used for $4-6. As a NB we used Bummi's Super Brites in the NB size, which are a similar cost.

Also, our daycare is very CD friendly. That is something to consider when you return to work. In fact, a couple of the daycares we looked at do CD only and provide their own, you just send along the going home diaper each day.

As you can see, it all depends on what's important to you, and we all do what works for our own family. GL in your decision!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did for the first month but haven't missed in in the two months since. Washing the diapers myself is okay even with going back to work full time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"