Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Memories (Photo and Videos of our little one)

edited September 2013 in Dads & Dads-to-be
There are two parts to this post:
1) Frequency - When it comes to our children...it seems like the grow up too fast. Before my first child, the thing I heard most from parents was that they wish they had taken more photos and videos of their children, especially at the < 1 month stage.  After hearing this, I took thousands of photos and dozens of videos for each of my children.  When I go back, it still doesn't seem like enough.  I also highly suggest getting photos with more than just a cell phone if possible.

2) Storage - Now that you have all of these photos and videos, you want to make sure you can have them forever.  Here are a few suggestions:
- Facebook - Even if you have them in a private album, you can keep them forever.  Just know that facebook does resize images to a max dimension of about 2000 pixels, and does not do so with grace, often adding serious artifacts that drive photographers nuts.  You can also upload videos...although there is a pretty significant size restriction.
- Off site storage - You can purchase photo albums through godaddy.  This means you can keep your high resolution photos and videos.  I am not a huge fan of godaddy for a few other reasons, but this is a nice feature
- Cloud Drive - There are a few companies that make 'cloud drives', which are basically hard drives that sit on the network/internet.  You can purchase large ones fairly cheap and access them anywhere with an internet connection.  If you keep these at a friend or relative's house....and something terrible happen to your home (fire, theft, tornado, drive failure, etc), you will have everything you backed up to that drive.  Setup is pretty easy....at least for the western digital one I have (6TB).
- Safety deposit box - I have heard of a few people doing this..Basically get an external hard drive, and once a month load it up with what ever you have done since the last time.
- YouTube - For videos

What else do you do to help protect your memories?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"