Preemies
Options

Spit up vs projectile vomiting?

For the reflux mommies out there -

How do you know when your DC is spitting up from reflux vs vomiting from a stomach bug?  Brian has reflux, but most of his symptoms have been screaming while eating, back-arching, irritability, etc.  He does spit up, but it is usually not projectile, and it is often a little while after he eats.  He is on Zantac and Alimentum, and both have helped him tremendously.  This morning, after finishing about 5 ozs of a 7 oz bottle he forcefully spit up?  vomited?  the entire bottle across the room.... He doesn't seem to have a fever and no bowel issues.  How can I tell if this was a bad reflux episode or a stomach bug?  Our pedi was hoping that he would grow out of the reflux by now (6 months).  He has likely outgrown his current Zantac dosage.  He has his 6 month well check-up next week, so, on the pedi's advice, I did not up his Zantac dosage to see if the reflux was getting better.  I am wondering now if he has a bug or the reflux has gotten worse again without the correct Zantac dosage. 

I did give him a little more formula, but after less than an ounce, he was pushing it out of his mouth.  About an hour later I gave him some pedialyte, and that seemed to sit well.  He is now napping - the episode seemed to wear him out. 

Long story short, wondering how if your child has reflux, you can tell illness vomiting from reflux spitting up/ vomiting.

Thanks!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Spit up vs projectile vomiting?

• Options

It sounds like a bad reflux attack to me. With my kids, there is a strong difference in the odor. It smells like vomit if they are sick. If it looks the same way coming back up as it did going down, and doesn't smell like vomit, then it's reflux. Reflux can be that bad, projectile across the room!

So sorry he hasn't grown out of it yet :( Reflux sucks big time!

• Options
    I've been told that vomitting will produce more bile and have more of an odor.  It's more than likely just reflux if it looks just like what he just ate/drank.  DD had a projectile incident not long ago.  I think it's because she had such a big gas bubble in her tummy that wouldn't come out.  She seemed much more comfortable after that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"