January 2014 Moms

Anyone have a vacuum assisted birth?

So I haven't had an in depth discussion with my MFM doctors yet but I've started researching the two options I've been presented.  My ability to push is severely compromised by my congenital myopathy- my strength may not facilitate effective pushing and certainly won't allow for me to push for more than 10-20 minutes before exhaustion sets in.  MFM mentioned a vacuum assisted birth or c-section as the most likely options.  

I've read a lot regarding complications rate for the infant, from mild to fatal and the complications for the mother (from short term tearing to long term incontinence and loss of bowel control).  

I've talked to a lot of c-section moms but no one who has been through a vacuum assisted birth.  If you've had one I'd love to hear your opinion.  Would you opt for it again (knowing your only other option is a c-section)?  

Re: Anyone have a vacuum assisted birth?

• Said with my medical malpractice hat on...

I would be very wary of a vacuum assisted birth.  I'm an attorney and for several years my concentration was on birth injury medical malpractice cases.  Vacuum  assisted births can lead to numerous problems if the doctor isn't properly trained, uses the vacuum too many times (most hospitals have a certain number of times that the vacuum can be used (it's small) before requiring a c-section, but some doctors don't follow the recommendations.  I personally saw so many problems with vacuum assisted deliveries that I made it very clear to my OB and DH that with my DD, if it came down to vacuum or c-section, give me a c-section, no question, even though I absolutely did not want a c-section.  I ended up with a c-section, but the vacuum was never even an option as I just failed to progress. This time I will be attempting a VBAC, but I still feel the same way about the vacuum.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a vaccum assisted birth with my son.  After pushing for 2 plus hours I was desperate for anything.  Luckily for me everything went great and he came out on the first push with the vacuum.  The doctor who delivered him did tell me that was one of her easiest vacuum births she had done.  I did have a third degree tear from it that took forever to heal, but my son came out just fine.  I honestly hope I do not have to do it again, but I think I would still choose it over a c-section.  That is my opinion at least.  Good luck with your decision.  If you have more questions, feel free to pm me!!
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Loading the player...
  • I had a vacuum assisted birth, but it was not planned.  DS's heart started to decel in the birth canal, so I had one last chance to push before we would have been in emergency C-section mode.  MH said the doctor gave probably 4-5 good yanks on the device while I pushed, and LO was here safely (thank god).

In terms of complications, LO apparently had a large, raised bruise on his head that disappeared completely within 24 hours - the nurses put a hat on him right away, so I never saw it, although MH did.  He was a little jaundiced, which they said was related to the bruise, but nothing serious enough to warrant another trip to the hospital or anything like that.  He's been 100% normal in terms of development since, so I don't think there was any damage :)

In terms of my body, my birth was unmedicated but that phase of labor was so intense I really don't remember pain - I'm sure there was some, but everyone was screaming at me to push and there was a huge team of emergency peds docs assembled to work on LO just in case, so that's really all I was focused on.  I did have a fucker of a tear, which took 6+ weeks to heal and required additional stitches.

Since I didn't really "choose" a vacuum birth, and the vacuum assisted part was so short, not sure I have much to offer in terms of advice on choosing between a c-section and vacuum.  It was uncomplicated and a happy ending for mom & baby, but given the tear I do hope not to need it this time around.  Hope this helps!

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• runnergrl6675runnergrl6675 member
    edited September 2013

Raises hand.  He suffered no complications from the assist whatsoever.  He had to go to the NICU due to sepsis, but that was completely unrelated to the vacuum. 

Edited to add:   I'm pretty sure a CS is out of the question when your baby is past the point of no return.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.  I wanted my baby out and healthy and the vacuum was the only way.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My husband is in neurology and for the reasons @nbbride06 and @kaitimac listed, feels the same way.  I did at first too but wanted to make sure I had both sides of the story before discussing it with the doctor.  I am happy to hear about the healthy babies born this way in case it does come down to this in an emergency, but the fears I had from studies done on complications that can happen, especially when used as the sole instrument facilitating birth, are being confirmed.  I appreciate all the feedback!!
  • First of all, I felt my breath being sucked away when I read the lawsuit replies. I don't think anyone plans for a vacuum-assisted birth. I had to have one, regardless of my birth plan. My son was stuck in the birth canal and pushing him back up for a C-section was not an option at that point.

I had major tearing...multiple third-degree tears and countless stitches. I have bladder control issues, too.  My son was perfectly fine, thank goodness.

Remember that things don't always go as planned and sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I felt a tremendous amount of guilt after the fact but there really was nothing I could do.

To the OP, I think if I were in your situation I would opt for a planned C-section. I think the healing time for a c/s is shorter than for the kind of tearing I had, plus I had to have corrective surgery for overgrown scar-tissue 6 months later.

• I had unplanned vacuum assist with my first. He was sunny-side up (face up in the canal) and I had been pushing for over 3 hours with no progress. My doctor recommended we try the vacuum and at that point I just wanted that baby out (I was 26 hours into labor). My doctor said they limit it to 3 tries with the vacuum. They tried once, nothing. They tried a second time and the seal broke as they were using it causing my doctor to fall backwards. My husband was freaking out because he though the baby's head went with the doctor (obviously it didn't...in hindsight it was a funny moment and you had to be there). My doctor got back up and said this was the last try and they started prepping for an emergency c-section. He came out on the very last push on the last try.

The baby was perfectly fine. He had a ring around the head from the vacuum which went away within a day, and DH insists his head was a little pointed for the first week or so. Otherwise, he was great.

I had a second degree tear and stitches, but I am glad I didn't have a c-section in addition to all the trauma of going through a 27 hour labor. That adds insult to injury for me.

Given your options OP, I would choose a PLANNED c-section over the idea of a possible vacuum assisted delivery that might still end up in a c-section. That said, I have only delivered vaginally, so I can't speak to recovery for c-sections, but an emergency c-section after a long and painful labor is what I try to avoid at all costs.   

• Same here.  @KaitiMac, I do special ed law now too but generally work with autistic kids.

KaitiMac said:
    My reply was geared specifically toward the OP's question about whether it should be her primary birth plan, as a high-risk mama. I responded regarding my plan because if I, at any time, become high-risk, I will never be open to the use of a vacuum assisted birth because of my firsthand experience with several children that have suffered complications from its use.

First of all, I felt my breath being sucked away when I read the lawsuit replies. I don't think anyone plans for a vacuum-assisted birth. I had to have one, regardless of my birth plan. My son was stuck in the birth canal and pushing him back up for a C-section was not an option at that point.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • vstevensvstevens member
    edited September 2013
    KaitiMac said:
    My reply was geared specifically toward the OP's question about whether it should be her primary birth plan, as a high-risk mama. I responded regarding my plan because if I, at any time, become high-risk, I will never be open to the use of a vacuum assisted birth because of my firsthand experience with several children that have suffered complications from its use.

First of all, I felt my breath being sucked away when I read the lawsuit replies. I don't think anyone plans for a vacuum-assisted birth. I had to have one, regardless of my birth plan. My son was stuck in the birth canal and pushing him back up for a C-section was not an option at that point.

Honest question: aren't there also a lot of malpractice cases / potential complications with forcep-assisted deliveries?

DS1 born 08.02.11

DS2 born 12.05.13

• Given your situation I would choose a planned C-section. C-sections are a good choice for situations exactly such as these, and being able to plan it and know what you are going in for ahead of time will make everything much easier. I feel like there is too much uncertainty around a vacuum assisted birth.

A
    imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• nbbride06nbbride06 member
    edited September 2013
    vstevens said:

KaitiMac said:

Honest question: aren't there also a lot of malpractice cases / potential complications with forcep-assisted deliveries?

Absolutely. Many OB's, especially younger ones, don't even attempt forceps deliveries anymore as they aren't trained for them, my OB included.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had  vacuum assisted birth for my first.  She was sunny side up and no amount of changing positions or manually trying to turn her was working.   After 3 hours of pushing her heart rate dropped to below 90 and it was now or never.  Because she was already so close it would have taken longer to C-section (and I didn't want that anyway) then vacuum, so vacuum it was.  2 pushes and she was out, but my doctor for that delivery was delivering babies before I was born, so he had a lot of experience and was well trained on what to do.  I had only a small 2nd degree tear and she hardly even had a bruise on her head. 

If I had to do it again, I would pick a vacuum over a C-section, but in your situation where you are on a limited time frame and would only be able to push for 10-20  minutes, I would probably take the C-section.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Ok, time for my 2 cents worth.

Part of my horror story: After pushing for hours (total ended up being 4) a dr had to be called in, b/c the midwife couldn't do anything more. He was sunny-side-up, so they had tried turning him but he kept flipping around. They did an episiotomy, which resulted in a 4th degree tear. After all that, they asked permission to do the vacuum- a max of 3 times. They used it I think 4. Then came the forceps. After several minutes with the forceps, the doctor told me "This contraction, or we push him back in and do a c-section". He was born that contraction.

It all happened really fast, I didn't know what to expect, and I was really out of it when they were trying to explain things to me.

He is doing fine, is a top reader in his class, is ahead in most things in his class. There have been no complications from the vacuum or forceps. (I should add he's in 1st grade) We can't keep up with his desire to learn.

I had a horrible experience in getting him out, and wouldn't wish it on anyone. If I were to go through that again, I'd say c-section. And I'm terrified of surgery.
    ********************************************************************************************************

DS1 born 11/3/06   *   DS2 born 3/29/08   *   DD born 3/15/11  

Scarlett Mae born 1/14/14                         Our family is now complete!

• I did not have a vacuum assisted birth, but I did have an emergency c/s after two attempts with the vacuum. My recovery was horrendous. I pushed for three hours, then endured the vacuum attempts, then had the surgery. I think in your situation I would go for the c/s rather than risk recovery from both.

• Thank you ladies for sharing your experience, I'm feeling a lot more confident that a c-section seems to be the best decision for me!
  • From a random point of view, my hospital requires neurological checks on the baby frequently for the first 24 hours if a vacuum is used because of the high rate of brain bleeds. I bet thats where your husband is concerned. I probably wouldn't plan on needing a vacuum because it's possible it won't work and you'd need a c-section anyways. FWIW, DH was born via vacuum and other than a huge hematoma on his head, is perfectly fine and incredibly intelligent. But I would definitely vote C-section. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"