August 2012 Moms
Options

CIO dilemma

It has to happen that we CIO for MOTN feedings pronto...well not even feedings because my psycho kid didn't even want to eat last night. He has his one year old shots tomorrow though. Should I wait until he has calmed down from them or do a preliminary CIO tonight? I am just so tired of saying, "We will sleep train after this that and the other thing," you know? First it was moving, then it was my back and then it was travel and then it was more travel and H hating his job and making life difficult. I just can't keep making excuses. I haven't slept since June of last year when my hands swelled. No. I had one night of sleep after my surgery and that is it. 

I think he came close to calming himself last night so I don't think there would be harm dong it tonight but I probably won't make him cry tomorrow because it seems mean if he's in pain and feeling yucky. Would I be setting myself back further to do anything about it now? It used to be that he would nurse and fall asleep. Now he doesn't want to nurse, be held, be put down, be in our bed, be in his crib, be on the floor to play. I honestly think he is trying to teach himself how to sleep because he was like this trying to walk. He didn't want to hold my hand and did not want to be comforted. He wanted to be left alone so he could figure this business out. WWYD? See how CIO goes tonight or wait until he seems to have gotten over the shots? 
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: CIO dilemma

• Options
    Which shots is he getting?
  • Options
    I'm a big proponent of CIO. We did the Ferber method at 5 months. My LO used to be a bear at night. Hard to put down, multiple wakeups, hours long screaming no matter what we did. It literally took 3 days of doing those timed check-ins (and we never had to go in more than twice) and she was sleeping through the night. And has been since then, with VERY few exceptions.

I'd maybe give a day for the shots depending on how he handles them, but I would do it as soon as possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would wait a day and then do Ferber. Good luck!
  • Options
    I would wait a day since it sounds like you will most likely go to him in the MOTN after his shots.  it's best to be consistent - so start after the shots and then stick to your guns!  Good luck!

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    I would wait until after shots.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    I'd wait until after the shots.  DD ran a 102 temp for three days after this last round of shots and she's never been affected by them before.  If he is out of sorts in the evenings because of the shots, I'd hate for you to try it tonight and then go back to the norm tomorrow and/or the night after.
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Options
    I definitely would wait until after shots. K sleeps in his crib, but ONLY after he falls asleep either in our bed or in our arms, then we transfer him, only to wake up around 5am ish screaming bloody hell until we give in and bring him back into our bed.  I swear a few times the kid has laughed when we did. Jokes on us....

This last set of shots were the worst. Not pain wise, but diarrhea, rash and feeling crappy all around. We're going to start Ferber this on Friday, so we can make it through a weekend. 

Hope he bounces back quickly!!

SMOOCHES FOR ALL!!!

• Options
    I'm not sure which shots you're getting, but for the mmr and chickenpox our pedi said they are not intramuscular like the other shots he's had, so they hurt more in the moment, but there isn't the soreness afterward. With mmr and chickenpox shots, she also said fever and side effects don't typically appear until 10 days later, so that may be something to think about because if you decide to put off cio you may be waiting at a time when he is not really in pain from the shots, and then end up doing it just before he gets a fever, if he ends up getting one, which hopefully he won't.
  • Options
    I'm in the camp of just go with it tonight. Like you said, you keep pushing it back. I wouldn't want to keep pushing it back either if it meant I was losing sleep. You're able to tell his distress cries from his "I just don't like this situation" or stubborn cries, right? If he is in pain from the shots, you'll know. For all you know, if you do CIO tonight, tomorrow night he could magically get it even after having shots and you'll be a few more days into the CIO process than if you had waited (and a few days closer to more sleep.)
  • Options
    amaite said:

I'm not sure which shots you're getting, but for the mmr and chickenpox our pedi said they are not intramuscular like the other shots he's had, so they hurt more in the moment, but there isn't the soreness afterward. With mmr and chickenpox shots, she also said fever and side effects don't typically appear until 10 days later, so that may be something to think about because if you decide to put off cio you may be waiting at a time when he is not really in pain from the shots, and then end up doing it just before he gets a fever, if he ends up getting one, which hopefully he won't.

He's getting those and one more. I can't remember.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    Uhg, that's a tough call. The one year shot's can affect them for up to a week. If I were you, I would assess the situation after shots, and see how he handles them. If he is doing ok, I would start CIO the next day after shots. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"