June 2012 Moms
Options

Thoughts on Pacifiers

Does your LO still take a pacifier? If so, when do you plan to have him or her give it up?

DS takes one at night and for long car rides, but I don't give it to him through the day. I was thinking about making them all disappear sometime soon, but I'm not sure when I really need to do it. He's still cutting molars, so I kind of think we'll wait for those to come through. Then again, is he just going to have another tooth coming right after these? I don't want him to still be dependent on them when he's 2 or 3.

Re: Thoughts on Pacifiers

• Options
    I never offered one for either of my children but I breast feed so I'm a human pacifier :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS self-weaned from his pacifier right around his first birthday - we'd offer it at night and before naps and he pushed it away or threw it out of the crib. Sorry I'm not more help!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS still uses in the car, for naps, and when he goes to sleep at night.

This was a kid who used a paci all day so I think he's doing pretty good.

I'd like to see it gone soon but I'm not sure when. I think I'll talk to the pedi at our appointment Saturday.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I felt strongly before dd was born that I wouldn't give her a pacifier. About two weeks after she was born, I changed my mind. She just didn't really ever take to one, and at about 3 months old, I stopped offering them to her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cooper used a pacifier frequently when his reflux was really bad. We stopped offering it to him around 6 months when he started to seem indifferent towards it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD never really cared for one but DS was a junkie.  We really kept it to bedtimes and car rides but he had it until he was 2.  Like the week leading up to his birthday each morning when he got up I asked him to throw his binkie in the trash and when the last one was gone we were done.  He cried for it at the next bedtime but really it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I was afraid of! 

image   image

• Options
    DS never really took a paci either...
  • Options
    DS never too one. I don't think there is a certain set age. I just don't like when I see a child remove a paci to speak then replace it... So age two or before I guess.
  • Options
    DD uses a pacifier for sleeping.  I am not worried about taking it away right now.  DS gave it up on his own around 18 months.  Maybe I will be lucky enough that DD will do the same.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    DD still has her paci. Depending on teething she can use one all day or just for bed. I am in no rush to take it away. I think she will show signs when she is ready. She also has 2 bottles a day still which we are slowly working on. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD1 was a binkie addict until just after 2.  We got her to the transition into a toddler bed and then just stopped offering it.  She'd ask for it a couple of times, but then one night went to bed without it and never mentioned it again.  I'm not against binkies, so I bought them for the baby, but bought a different kind so that DD1 wouldn't want them.  Well, Kara didn't like the different ones I bought for her, but loved the soothies (same that dd1 had) of course.

Long story short - She still takes one for nap/bed/long car rides and I'll probably just let her decide when to get rid of it, within reason.  Right now she goes to sleep so well and sleeps all night long and will still wake up sometimes at night and grab it and go back to sleep, so I know she's not ready to be without it. :) 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"