Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Should I get a bassinet?

I love the look of the frilly bassinets but my aunt made a comment of us not needing one because we are in a 2 bedroom apartment.  The baby's room is just a couple steps away from our room and she suggested starting our newborn in the crib right away.  I am not uncomfortable with this.  I see where it makes sense.  I've registered for a PNP and I see some of you use that in your bedrooms during the newborn stage.  Suggestions?  Especially from those in apartments or close quarters?  Thanks!
Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
Due October 2015

Re: Should I get a bassinet?

• Options
    I liked having my kids in my room because not having to get out of bed to feed your baby is priceless and I think it really helps you feel less tired.   I would use a PNP over a bassinet if it was me just to cut down on baby stuff if you don't have tons of storage.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    Yes, storage space is an issue so that is a good suggestion.  Thanks.
    Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Fisher Price Rock N Play.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We used the cradle my uncle built for me when I was born.  We lived in a 2 bedroom apartment when LO was born and I had a c-section.  The first weeks it would not have been possible to have him in another room at night.  I couldn't just "jump up" to go get him.  He did move into his crib around week 3, though, when we started sleep training (yes we started early, but it worked for our family and he STTN by week 8).
  • Options
    We started out with a Rock N Play by our bed, then to a Pack N Play in our room, then to her crib in her room with a monitor. We also have a small house, but I liked having her by my bed for the first few months. I could reach out if she stirred, and calm her before it became a full blown cry.
  • Options
    If your also looking I to getting a bouncer I would highly suggest looking into the Tiny Love 3-1 rocker napper . It can be used as a bouncer like seat , a slightly reclined seat and a bassinet all with vibration. It's awesome . It also has a high weight limit though the kid would outgrow it in hight before weight . I have had a RNP , pnp , and bassinet and prefer this product. The only downfall you might have is it sits on the floor so its not elevated which I can see being an issue for c section mamas but vaginal delivery moms should have an issue.
  • Options
    If your also looking I to getting a bouncer I would highly suggest looking into the Tiny Love 3-1 rocker napper . It can be used as a bouncer like seat , a slightly reclined seat and a bassinet all with vibration. It's awesome . It also has a high weight limit though the kid would outgrow it in hight before weight . I have had a RNP , pnp , and bassinet and prefer this product. The only downfall you might have is it sits on the floor so its not elevated which I can see being an issue for c section mamas but vaginal delivery moms should have an issue.
    Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm adding it to my registry now.  I like how it converts to a flat bed as well.
    Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Options
    EricaOO said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm adding it to my registry now.  I like how it converts to a flat bed as well.

I love ours ! It's great . My seven week old daughter likes to lie flat some nights and others needs the slight incline so it works great !
  • Options
    We used one. After that I moved the crib into our room.
  • Options
    We lived in a 2 bedroom apartment when DS was born. We started with a PNP in our room, but moved him to his crib in his room after 2 nights. None of us were getting any sleep at all when we could all hear each other's every little noise. Even though I had to get out of bed with him in his own room, some sleep was better than no sleep. I could certainly still hear him if he cried, but I did not need to hear every little sleepy sound.
    Finally updating my signature and avatar, August 29, 2011 (better late than never!) Jake! (born July 3, 2011 - 6 days past due) Image and video hosting by TinyPic December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A bassinet? No. I used our Aprica PNP which has an awesome bassinet that fits across the top which worked perfectly for us for the first two months. After that I couldn't move DD in to her own room fast enough! I'd wake at her every little sound which wasn't healthy for any of us.  Now I put her in the PNP when I showering in the morning and it is the perfect solution to keep her safe and occupied while I can't keep an eye on her.

HTH!
  • Options
    Pockety said:
    We lived in a 2 bedroom apartment when DS was born. We started with a PNP in our room, but moved him to his crib in his room after 2 nights. None of us were getting any sleep at all when we could all hear each other's every little noise. Even though I had to get out of bed with him in his own room, some sleep was better than no sleep. I could certainly still hear him if he cried, but I did not need to hear every little sleepy sound.
    My aunt said this exact same thing.

Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• Options
    klyann said:

Fisher Price Rock N Play.

yes! and its great for travel

we had a bassinet LO was in it for maybe 3 weeks then hated it since she wanted more room she would squirm and move around her head keptgetting stuck at the end of the bassinet ugh such awaste of money  
    imageimagephoto proudEPer2.gif
          BFP #1: 7/18/12, M/C 8/6/12 @6weeks  Missing our April Angel
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                                           Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"