Health & Exercise
Options

Tips

Last time around I scaled WAY back as a FTM on the exercise while PG.  This time,. I'm trying to stay with a more avid plan.  However, as I have passed the 20w mark, its getting harder. Ladies, what have you been able to keep up as your went on thru 2nd and 3rd tri?

Re: Tips

• Options
    I was able to keep up with everything - running, strength training, pilates BUT definitely a modified version.  I didn't put a lot of pressure on myself, just kept doing what I was able to do.

I was also lucky enough to never had pregnancy fatigue (I had insomnia, which is a whole 'nother issue) so that helped, and I was never sure whether it was because of the exercise or whether I could exercise because I was never too tired to do it.

In terms of good self talk, I would remind myself that exercise would make the labor/healing process easier, and keeping up arm strength (with hand weights) was going to be necessary for carting around a newborn and/or carseat!
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was able to run up until my 37th week (maintaining at or below a 10 min/mile which was considerably slower than my norm), and I lifted weights through week 38. I gave birth on week 39. For the week in between, I walked 4-6 miles a day leading up to delivery. I did a couple days of elliptical and mowed the lawn when I could in the last few weeks, too. It's all about what you can do and when you can do it. I made a point to get up and go to the gym everyday and made sure I did something to get my body moving. Do what you can and keep your schedule. Modify when you need to and rest on days when you know you need it! Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I managed to keep running consistently through 36 weeks. It helped me to sign up for races so I felt like I was working towards something. I'm currently 38 weeks and am still working out (running, elliptical, weights, walking) most days of the week. My balance and coordination have been off the last few weeks resulting in minor ankle/foot sprains which have slowed me down. I also notice a HUGE difference in my mood when I workout regularly. Too many days off and my attitude and tolerance for things go way down! Working out is one of the few things that has stayed very similar to pre-pregnant life.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ran up until day before I had LO at 40 weeks. Was still doing 3.5 to 5 miles but on a treadmill and between 9:30 and 10 min mile pace. I felt great and actually better than I did at 20 weeks. I modified pace and went to treadmill only by 36 weeks since it is so hilly where I live and also didn't want to risk falling. I told myself I would take each day one at a time which also made it seem more doable.
  • Options
    I've never been one to motivate myself to work out, so I work with a trainer.  Started about a month before getting pregnant and haven't looked back.  It's great because he changes up my routine based on how I'm doing and what condition I'm in.  We even worked out the night before I went into labor.
  • Options
    I am still running at 36 weeks, but around the late second/early third trimester I started really trying to focus on running a few less times a week and replacing those days with swimming or biking. I think the variety helps since different activities put strain on different parts of the body while giving other parts a break. Swimming and biking are quite low impact, too, which is good. I find I can hydrate well while biking (I wear a hydration pack on my back), and this is good for warmer days or just those days I am feeling I need to take it easier and drink, etc, the whole time. I also try and walk as much as possible; I have a dog so he's good motivation/company; I download podcasts sometimes to listen to while I walk to keep me entertained and out longer. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"