Minnesota Babies
Options

Need STM Help

I'm a first time mom who never had a "regular doctor". According to the calendar on here I should have picked out a pediatrician by now. I have NO idea where to start. Do I stick to my clinic Fairview or any place that accepts my insurance? What am I looking for?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need STM Help

• Options
    I'm not much help.  I used our family practitioner (she only does peds now) who we already used and loved.  She doesn't rush her appointments, answers all our questions, and listens to our concerns and wants and then will give us her recommendations.

You don't have to stick to your clinic.  I go to Health Partners, but my pedi is at a Fairview clinic.  I also use Priority Pediatrics for urgent care because the urgent care at general clinics never seem to know what to do with kids. 

You really want a pedi that is supportive of your choices (BF vs. FF, vaccine schedule, sleeping arrangements, etc.). 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I didn't have a regular dr either. The things I looked for were: night/weekend hours, 24 hour nurse line, sick and well child waiting rooms. We went with Southdale pediatrics, and have had a great experience. So far we have seen 3 different doctors, and they have all recognized us if they pass us in the hall.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think I had a pediatrician selected until maybe 1 month before I had my LO.  If that.  :)

What I did was ask around for a few recommendations near my home and near work.  I then visited 2 of them during one of their "new parent" meetings.  They basically chat about the philosophy of the practice, who the doctors are, etc.  You get a good feel for what the clinic would be like.  I don't know if they all offer those "classes" but the two I was choosing between did.  

If you are in the North/West metro I would recommend Partners in Pediatrics.  Our regular pediatrician is Dr. Buckstein who is fantastic.  But we have seen a few different providers at the Brooklyn Park and Maple Grove offices and have always been very well cared for.  

Good luck with your search!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I asked my OB for a recommendation because I know he has 5 kids. I figure if the pedi is good enough for a doctors' kids, he/she is good enough for my LO. So on his recommendation, we go to PYAM and LOVE them. Dr. Balfanz is great, we also love Dr Saxton.
  • Options
    I asked my OB for a recommendation because I know he has 5 kids. I figure if the pedi is good enough for a doctors' kids, he/she is good enough for my LO. So on his recommendation, we go to PYAM and LOVE them. Dr. Balfanz is great, we also love Dr Saxton.
    This is what I did. I asked an ENT surgeon I work with who he would recommend and where his kids go. He also recommended PYAM and that's where we go. I have been happy going there so far.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be asking my OB at my next appointment. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"