April 2014 Moms

Taking Zofran every 8-10 hours

Week 7 has been rough and I've been taking Zofran every 8-10 hours. And I feel REALLY guilty about it because I'm not even throwing up. But my nausea is sooooo bad. Without the Zofran, I can't move off the sofa or drink any water and I am completely miserable.. Hence why I've been taking it like clockwork. I'm planning on calling my doctor on Tuesday to make sure its ok to rely on it like I am, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is using Zofran to be able to function and feel somewhat human?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Taking Zofran every 8-10 hours

• I just got my prescription today and I've already taken it twice. My OB wrote the prescription for 3 times a day. Like you I'm not throwing up a ton but I can't function. I just lay on the couch like a slug and when I get up I feel so dizzy. I wouldn't feel bad. If it were ba for you or baby then the dr wouldn't prescribe it. And he certainly wouldn't give you the go ahead to take 3 a day. You do what you have to do to function. I have a full time job as a teacher and 2 other kids. I can't afford to be this sick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • pete0121 said:
    I just got my prescription today and I've already taken it twice. My OB wrote the prescription for 3 times a day. Like you I'm not throwing up a ton but I can't function. I just lay on the couch like a slug and when I get up I feel so dizzy. I wouldn't feel bad. If it were ba for you or baby then the dr wouldn't prescribe it. And he certainly wouldn't give you the go ahead to take 3 a day. You do what you have to do to function. I have a full time job as a teacher and 2 other kids. I can't afford to be this sick.

Yeah.. I don't get paid time off from work so I HAVE to be able to get up and function! And even though its the weekend I don't want to suffer when I know the Zofran makes me feel so much better!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been taking it like every 7 hours can't even make it to 8 hours unless asleep. Not throwing up much either. Just uncomfortable and nauseous.
  • amhah09amhah09 member
    edited September 2013
    Well I'm taking it every 8 hours and still not able to eat or drink much and I'm hardly functioning like a human being. I think I need to call my midwife ::sigh::

ETA: my prescription is 8 mg every 8 hours as needed

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • I agree amhah09. I'm still barely surviving even with the zofran!
  • Just because you're not throwing up doesn't mean you shouldn't take it. Constant nausea is just as debilitating in its own way. As long as you're taking it as prescribed, then do what you need to do to function. My script is for every 12 hours, so that's what I'm doing.

How many mg is your prescription Colleen?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine is for every six hours and I am up to two or sometimes even three a day.
  • My dr told me to try ginger ale, lemonade, sugared gum. Ginger ale tastes good but Ehh no miracle though.
  • My dr told me to try ginger ale, lemonade, sugared gum. Ginger ale tastes good but Ehh no miracle though.

I've found that vitamin water zero lemonade is the only way I can get liquids down. I mix it about half and half with water.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ooh I'll get some of that vitamin water tomorrow! Thanks :)
  • Definitely take it if you need it. I am nauseous ALL day and even though I haven't thrown up, zofran takes the edge off so I can function and not be a complete bitch.
  • Sea bands worked for me in week 5 but they do nothing for me now :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I broke down and took a zofran yesterday. It took the edge off but I still threw up twice. I'm on a lower dose right now, which was prescribed for my migraines but maybe I'll ask for a higher dose when I see my doc on Friday. The upside, Doctors say being sick is the sign of a strong, healthy pregnancy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so happy to be seeing that so many other people are relying on Zofran. I too have felt guilty about taking it twice a day, but we do what we have to in order to function, right? My doc gave me 4mg and said to take every 6hrs. I'm so sorry for those of you who don't even get relief from Zofran.. I can't imagine. I still feel intense nausea but at least I'm not throwing up multiple times a day (not throwing up at all actually).
  • Mine is 4mg every 4 hours. Thankfully, my nausea has eased up A LOT, and I didn't even take 1 pill yesterday. Maybe I'll finally be able to have a BM...

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • I second the vitamin water, but I don't do the zero bc of the aspartame. I also feel like the sugar helps!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a digestive condition with chronic nausea even before pregnancy...I have 4mg of Zofran that I take 3 times a day at morning, noon and dinner.  I find the 8mg of Zofran that you can take every 6-8 hours is too long of a time span between doses and it makes me dizzy and super sleepy.  I eat right before bed so that there is something in my stomach to last overnight and that helps with the morning nausea.  I also use the sea bands and ginger candies made by "the ginger people".  Ginger helps settle the stomach and I think the sugar in the candies helps level the blood sugar spikes and lessen the nausea.  Good Luck.  Hoping the nausea lightens up in second trimester!!

• Thanks for all the info ladies! I've been taking 4 mg every 8 hours and from what you guys have written it sounds like its still safe to take it every 4-6.. I feel better about taking it so often now!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I broke down and took a zofran yesterday. It took the edge off but I still threw up twice. I'm on a lower dose right now, which was prescribed for my migraines but maybe I'll ask for a higher dose when I see my doc on Friday. The upside, Doctors say being sick is the sign of a strong, healthy pregnancy.

I really think that's a load of bull that they tell the sick moms to make them feel better. It is perfectly possible to have a strong healthy pregnancy without the puking. Conversely, it is possible to be sick and still experience a loss.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • amhah09 said:
    I broke down and took a zofran yesterday. It took the edge off but I still threw up twice. I'm on a lower dose right now, which was prescribed for my migraines but maybe I'll ask for a higher dose when I see my doc on Friday. The upside, Doctors say being sick is the sign of a strong, healthy pregnancy.
    I really think that's a load of bull that they tell the sick moms to make them feel better. It is perfectly possible to have a strong healthy pregnancy without the puking. Conversely, it is possible to be sick and still experience a loss.
    My mom keeps telling me that she was really sick with all her healthy pregnancies and didn't feel sick at all with her miscarriage. But with that being said, I agree with you.. I don't think there is much merit to that because I've seen many girls on the bump who have miscarried and said they still felt sick.. and like you said, there are many LUCKY women who have healthy pregnancies without feeling sick.

It's also funny because I've also been hearing "since you're feeling so sick, it's a girl because of all the extra female hormones" or my mom said "I was way more sick with your brothers!" haha. I don't think there is much merit to that either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • amhah09 said:
    I broke down and took a zofran yesterday. It took the edge off but I still threw up twice. I'm on a lower dose right now, which was prescribed for my migraines but maybe I'll ask for a higher dose when I see my doc on Friday. The upside, Doctors say being sick is the sign of a strong, healthy pregnancy.
    Precisely this. The sickest I've ever been in a pregnancy was when I'd had a missed miscarriage. I was sick for 11 weeks, even though the pregnancy had stopped progressing at 6 weeks. Sickness means nothing.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • pete0121 said:

I just got my prescription today and I've already taken it twice. My OB wrote the prescription for 3 times a day. Like you I'm not throwing up a ton but I can't function. I just lay on the couch like a slug and when I get up I feel so dizzy. I wouldn't feel bad. If it were ba for you or baby then the dr wouldn't prescribe it. And he certainly wouldn't give you the go ahead to take 3 a day. You do what you have to do to function. I have a full time job as a teacher and 2 other kids. I can't afford to be this sick.

I am a teacher too. I had to put up with feeling like crap for two weeks because my health insurance didn't kick in until the first. Taking it now.... It doesn't really help like I was hoping. In fact, I feel almost more sick.
    When does morning sickness go away? I am assuming I have four more weeks at week 8?
  • I'm taking Phenergan 25mg (Promethazine) every 4-6 hours...However, it makes you VERY sleepy.

image image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"