Special Needs

how do you fit it all in?

DD is 2.5 and will be transitioning to a preschool program after spring break next year. They have a few different options in the school district, but it sounds like she may qualify for an all day ASD preschool that is 4 days a week. We don't know much about it yet, but they do "some" ABA during table time from what I am told.

We have been doing ABA through private practice and the current goal is to work up to 4 hours, 3 times per week. Next week will be her first week doing 3 hours, 3 times per week. How do parents fit ABA in when their child is in school? Do we pull her out for private ABA or look into the half day spec ed options instead?

Re: how do you fit it all in?

• It is so hard to figure out how to fit all of the therapies in especially if you're a working a parent. I think that based on what I've learned so far, which is not much, it seems like if you can get into a preschool program via the county you can have services like speech and OT pushed into the classroom or done privately at the school. That option seems pretty efficient if you like the preschool program. We've found a private ABA/ one on one preschool program that we are using until we can work out something with the county.
  • It has changed as DD1 has gotten older. When she was dx'd at three, we did 2.5 hours of preschool four days a week and were able to easily work around that for private therapy time. Her needs have become clearer over time, and they are really best served in the classroom with peers, so this year we opted for full-day kindergarten (which we pay tuition for) rather than half-day which would've allowed us to do more private therapy. 

We also ramped up therapy time over the summer since she wasn't in a structured environment or ESY. I think summers will probably be a time when we try new things like therapy camps for short, intensive times and can put more time into re-visiting with our various therapists for their views on her progress and evolving needs. 

I'm trying to balance services and "regular" activities that are carefully chosen, but not exhaust her with a very long day, so she does soccer (practice Wednesdays and games Saturdays) and a small-group music class that I think will have some social and therapeutic benefits; plus she'll do a social skills class. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"