Health & Exercise

Marathon

Last week I took two pregnancy tests a day after one another and both came back positive. The nurse never called me back to discuss next steps and my questions/concerns. Plus it's Labor Day weekend! This my first time being pregnant. I'm currently in the middle of training for a marathon and now I'm worried I won't be able to participate. I'm an avit cyclist and runner, but lately I've been tired and just can't do as much as before. Does anybody know if more then likely the doctor will say not to compete? I hope they call me on Tuesday as I have many other questions.

Re: Marathon

• How far into training are you, mile wise? Is this your first marathon? How far along will you be on race day? I would guess that if your body is used to this type of training you'll be fine. The hardest part might be finding the motivation and energy to continue training. You will probably want to keep your training and racing pace pretty relaxed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic               
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would discuss with your doctor. I know plenty if women who have kept training for and competed in marathons and ironmans while pregnant.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a runner and have run many marathons.  Personally, I would not do it while pregnant.  I have continued to run during my pregnancy (currently 16 weeks and running about 20 miles a week, down from between 40 -45 per week), but I have slowed way, way down and have stopped doing workouts and runs more than an hour or so.  

A marathon is a unique strain on your body.  In a way that a half marathon or other distance is not.  I would be fine telling someone that was properly trained and used to running to run a half marathon while pregnant.  But, not a marathon.  After 18-20 miles, your body is really fatigued and your glycogen stores are really low.  It just seems unnecessarily risky to put that kind of stress on your pregnant body. 

There are also practical concerns such as the fact that you are likely to spend the next 2-3 months in such a state of exhaustion that a 3 mile run is going to feel like a marathon.  I cannot imagine having the energy to run long during the first trimester.  That energy does come back in the second trimester, but its still not 3+ hour running levels.  
  • The marathon would be right before my 10th week begins. I've ran two halfs this year already, and had the runner's rush and signed up for the TC Marathon in October in July of this year. I was able to talk to an OB nurse to discuss my options and what is best. Of course I've been training since July--they always say listen to your body, which I've always done in the past. I do have to admit that I know if I was further along I wouldn't be questioning this, but since it's in the begining of the trimester it worries me a bit more, since I know how much stress can be put on your body. THank you to all that replied!

• Why not just not race it hard? (Make it a training race, haha) We are TTC right now and actually picking a race for each month starting with long races (100 mile bike race) and tri's and trail runs and ending with walking 5ks! I'm just not out to place! You dont want to miscarry to place in your age category! I just want to have a great time, safely keep up my training and make a super cute pregnancy album to pass on to baby! Heart rate is super important. Can't get it too high. Don't want to overheat either! I hope all the racing would inspire an older toddler to get out and play! (Like mom!)
  • I agree with the general advice to not race a race and just run it for any distance other than the marathon (or longer).  I just feel like the stress of a marathon is really tough on your body.  Have you done a marathon before?  Those last 4-6 miles, even for experienced and great runners is a strain.  It requires a lot of recovery time, too. I would think about dropping down to a half or sitting out.  There'll be plenty of other opportunities to run a marathon.  Including planning one after the birth as extra motivation to drop some baby weight!
  • Reddvl said:
    There'll be plenty of other opportunities to run a marathon.  Including planning one after the birth as extra motivation to drop some baby weight!
    Chicago 2014 here I come!

I agree with the majority of the ladies here.  Personally, I wouldn't run a marathon while pregnant, but I plan to jump back on the bandwagon as soon as I can.  I didn't sign up for a marathon this fall bc we were ttc, and I sure do miss it.  I've raced a 1/2 marathon pregnant and did really well, but a marathon is a whole other beast.  It would scare me to put that sort of stress on my body while in such a critical phase of my pregnancy.

image  image
    BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
    BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!
  • I ran a marathon in my 11th week, my time was slow and I remember not completly loving it. However I was pretty proud of my self and did 6 other races, mosrly 10ks up until my 8th month. All of the medals are in my lo scrapbook. You have to listen to your body and be ok with not finishing if you are not feeling it.

• Just wanted to chime in here - I am running a marathon in 2 weeks and will be 8 weeks. By the time of this post, it looks like your race may have already come and gone but I would love to hear how it went!

• I did two half marathons this pregnancy.  The first one, I didn't know I was pregnant.  The second one, I was a little slow because my morning sickness was kicking my ass that day, but it was still a good race!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"