Baby Showers
Options

What gifts won't be brought to the baby shower??

I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy before the baby shower and what I won't need to buy.. Will I need to buy the crib, car seat, stroller ect.. Please help!!

Re: What gifts won't be brought to the baby shower??

• Options
    Yeah.. I'm just the kinda person who likes to have everything ready way before it happens haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How in the world would we know?

Just shop after your shower. Did you register?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    I haven't yet. I don't know when the right time is to register
  • Options
    How would we know? Just buy what you want to buy, and if you receive duplicates, return them after the shower. Or, just wait until after the shower. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    In general, you will probably be buying the baby's furniture yourself unless, say, your mom told you she wants to buy the crib. But I wouldn't expect anyone to surprise you with something like that. The rest is a crapshoot!
  • Options
    We bought all our furniture ahead of time and set up the nursery. At the shower, people bought us some clothing, diapers, car seats, blankets, swaddles, sheets, stroller, swing, etc.

I was glad we did what we did because I wouldn't have been able to assemble and set up the nursery (physically) that late in pg (if we had waited till after).

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    I registered when I found out we were having a boy at 20wks. I got alot of stuff off of my registry but I am kind of bad at shopping off registries. I wouldnt expect to get stuff that is for you, since you will need a fair amount of stuff for yourself after birth.  I also dont often see nursing supplies at BS even though I dont see any reason to be shy about it. 

I would expect alot of clothes and lots of little stuff like a bath tub, blankets, toys, towels, etc.

I promise that the last 4 weeks will be a torturous waiting game and you will be happy to have something to do. I had my shower at 36wks and it was perfect.
  • Options

I promise that the last 4 weeks will be a torturous waiting game and you will be happy to have something to do. I had my shower at 36wks and it was perfect.

This is very true. We had our shower at 32 weeks and everything is all setup at 37 weeks and although I'm tired, I wish I had saved some of the setup to keep me busy.
  • Options
    Okay thanks for all the advise guys :) I think we will just buy our crib and stuff after the baby shower incase we get gift cards or money. My boyfriend has a really big family so who knows what we will get. Thank you :)
  • Options
    We looked around a lot before our shower... We ended up finding the crib, car seat, and stroller that we wanted on sale, so we bought them ourselves then. If you see stuff you want at good prices, I'd get it. Otherwise, no harm in waiting. Those last couple weeks, you start doing stuff like re-washing their clothes just because, so you might as well do some shopping. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    Okay thanks for all the advise guys :) I think we will just buy our crib and stuff after the baby shower incase we get gift cards or money. My boyfriend has a really big family so who knows what we will get. Thank you :)
    Thats a good move. Also, alot of places do completion coupons so load up your registry!
  • Options
    Btw I don't know what everyone is talking about in regard to being bored the last month. I was/would have been happy to just sleep and watch movies the whole time. I didn't need anything extra to do. It was hard enough just to do the bare minimum.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    I planned on buying everything.  We received a lot of clothes, some toys, a jumper, and a play pen.  My grandma gave us a couple of bottles and diapers. 

I had my shower at 36 almost 37 weeks and had plenty of time before I had DD (39 weeks).  If you are comfortable waiting 'til after your shower, I would suggest doing so (within reason) and filling in the holes.  What you will want and what you get will vary person to person.

I think a good time to start registering is around 20 weeks.
  • Options
    cinderin said:
    Btw I don't know what everyone is talking about in regard to being bored the last month. I was/would have been happy to just sleep and watch movies the whole time. I didn't need anything extra to do. It was hard enough just to do the bare minimum.

Amen.
  • Options
    This is my first pregnancy, but we initially registered for everything we needed, but I've bought most of the large items I found on sale I couldn't pass up (mamaroo for $120, normally $200; bedding for $50, normally $200; our crib 50% off, a dresser I got a good deal on, PPB diaper bag and ergo at the Nordstrom anniversary sale) I figure there are lots of little things we'll need, and there are few larger items - PNP, car seats, stroller I need.

I can't help it! I can't pass a great deal!
  • Options
    I came across a garage sale yesterday and they had 40 bibs for 3 dollars and some no scratch mittens I couldn't pass that up!! That's all I've boughten so far. I'm only 9 weeks so I still have a long time before the baby comes but like I said I love to have things ahead of time...
  • Options
    I had three showers - one with DH's family, one with mine, and a work shower. At the two family showers the gifts were almost entirely baby clothes, toiletries, hooded towels, that sort of thing. MIL bought our crib and we bought the car seat and stroller. My co-workers bought our play 'n' pack. The work shower was at 36 weeks, and it was just fine. I got everything washed, organized, and set up, then spent the last two weeks before I was induced getting work done before my maternity leave. I was glad to have the baby stuff out of the way so I could focus on that, but YMMV.
  • Options
    Most of this depends on your family/social circle.  My family is usually "registry shoppers."  Usually in my family several people will go in on a bigger gift (my 2 aunts and grandma are buying our travel system, for example).  Different groups of family members go in on stuff together in my family, and some buy smaller items-- clothes, toiletries, diapers, etc.  I knew that most of my family typically buy things on a registry based on the 5 or 6 showers we've had in the past 2 years in the family.

DH and I bought all of our nursery furniture (crib, 2 dressers, and bedding) and will buy anything that we need (mainly the car seat) if we don't get it after our shower.  

No one can tell you what people will buy off of your registry--- it varies a ton from group-to-group.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I totally understand that.. That's why I'm trying to hold of on buying things but its so hard not to cause they have way to many cute things!! But I'm holding until im aleast 15 weeks to buy stuff. I think I'll be out of the miscarriage zone then
  • Options
    What big things are bought really does vary on the family situation.  My ILs bought the crib, DH's aunts bought bedding stuff, and DH's grandmother bought the crib mattress.  My parents bought the jogging stroller and the pack n play.  All the other big items we bought ourselves (dresser, glider, etc).  

At my shower I got a lot of little things, one person did a basket of bath time stuff, a bunch of clothes, some bibs, books, etc. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Are you kidding with this?
  • Options
    I spend between $40-$60 on a shower usually, depending on who it is. So I would plan on getting things you need above that price range and then going from there after your shower.
  • Options
    We bought our crib and other furniture and our carseat and travel system because I feel like that's what we really needed if baby made an early arrival.

Some if the furniture takes a really long time to come in, depending on where you order. I bought at 16 weeks they said 6-8 weeks and I just got the hutch last week (13 weeks later!)

So, when you pick out your crib make sure it's readily available for you if you're waiting til after your shower(s).

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As PPs have said, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so pace yourself. I didn't buy a thing until we found out the sex at 19 weeks. That's about the time I started my registries online. I added everything we needed, including big ticket items, because the stores will send completion coupons around 6-8 weeks before your EDD for 10-20% your entire purchase.
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've bought some things I could get great deals on (or found on Craigslist) and took them off the registry. However if you wait until after you'll get 20% coupons to use for items not purchased off the registry. I've also heard that people don't really like to buy breast feeding supplies so maybe that's something you could buy beforehand.

• Options
    I'm trying to figure out what I need to buy before the baby shower and what I won't need to buy.. Will I need to buy the crib, car seat, stroller ect.. Please help!!
    Depending on what crib you have picked out, delivery could take awhile. Just something to keep in mind as you think about the timing of everything.
    This! Three weeks ago we found out our top two crib picks are both back ordered until last week in November and first week of December. 
  • Options

Yeah I totally understand that.. That's why I'm trying to hold of on buying things but its so hard not to cause they have way to many cute things!! But I'm holding until im aleast 15 weeks to buy stuff. I think I'll be out of the miscarriage zone then

I advise waiting 'til after your a/s, when you see if you have a viable pregnancy.
  • Options
    I've bought some things I could get great deals on (or found on Craigslist) and took them off the registry. However if you wait until after you'll get 20% coupons to use for items not purchased off the registry. I've also heard that people don't really like to buy breast feeding supplies so maybe that's something you could buy beforehand.
    I think it just depends on the person.  I have bought nursing covers for one friend and one of my cousins.  I have also bought nipple cream and breast pads.  
  • Options
    Wait until after so you can use your 10% off the rest of the items on your registry.  Usually the breastfeeding stuff is not bought but sometimes other supportive moms will buy those items.
  • Options
    I bought the big things: furniture and car seat. And a Bob stroller as I didn't expect anyone to drop $350 on a gift, group or individually.

I registered for all the necessities and a couple nice to haves and received 99% of what I needed as gifts. I didn't bother using the completion discount because the few small items left I think I just bought over time or did without.

I don't think I bought dd a single outfit for her first 6 months.

Just wait and see what you get at your shower.
  • Options
    ordinary1 said:

I advise waiting 'til after your a/s, when you see if you have a viable pregnancy.
    Agree. There is no such thing as being "out of the miscarriage zone". Risk is reduced but never gone. 2nd & 3rd Tri losses happen, sadly.

I'd buy what you want to buy frankly. however, I would wait until after 24 weeks. Register for smaller, more shower friendly items. If you get a big item you can always save it or return it for store credit.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Yeah.. I'm just the kinda person who likes to have everything ready way before it happens haha

Just have what you don't register for, I have my crib, dressers, swing etc so I DID not register for those at all!
  • Options
    @mommystephy glad I don't know you irl. "Forced" people to tell you what they were getting you? I'd tell you to fuck right off.
  • Options
    @mommystephy glad I don't know you irl. "Forced" people to tell you what they were getting you? I'd tell you to fuck right off.

Haha...I lolled in real life as that as well. To quote Bliss, my jaw hangeth open.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"