Preemies

Karate chop the RN

So while feeling my DDs he's the nurse sort of muttered "small fontanelle" well dammit I about lost it. I said well her head U/S was normal!! No one else had pointed that out. Now I'm anxious. He sort of back peddled and said he didn't mean anything by it. Way to go RN!!

Re: Karate chop the RN

• It should say DDs head**
  • Sometimes you'll have those that just don't think about what they're saying and how it affects the parents. One day we went in and it was a new nurse for us - she just blurts out that she had called the NNP because he didn't seem to be doing so well today - no bracing us for bad news or anything (which ended up being nothing anyways, he was just tired from the antibiotics he'd been getting which we already knew were a little harsh).

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to be too anxious. Plenty of docs and nurses have checked your baby's head and must not be concerned about anything...
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @direy25 I agree. Some just act like they are one step away from being a neo. No one has mentioned it before so I try not to get hyped up. I think alot of nurses and docs don't know how hard it is on us parents going thru all this.
  • @jentx what a mean lady! I don't get where there head is at sometimes.
  • jnetx said:

One day when I brought up my bottles breast milk that I had worked so hard at pumping, his nurse said something like "how funny, you've got little dribbles in each one!" I definitely cried. When I thought about it later I could not believe she thought it was ok to say that to a hormonal NICU mom who's milk supply was not yet fully established.

My milk took forever to come in. I was pumping around the clock and getting nothing. For days. While I was still in the hospital, I had a nurse call up to my room and ask me if I had any BM to send down.

Don't you think if I had gotten even a drop of colostrum, I (or H) would have brought it down immediately? I def cried after that call.

• A small fontanel is just that- doesn't mean anything at all. He was probably just talking to himself to remember for charting. I've felt all sizes from the size of the tip of my pinkie to bigger than a half dollar, all normal variations. Sometimes when nurses talk they don't realize that the parents are listening to (and worried about) everything they say.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @jta2426 thank you. I did address it with her doctor. He felt her head and said everything is fine. You are right tho, I don't think they realize what they say is over analyzed by parents.
  • Sorry that what the nurse said upset you.  I'm both a preemie mom and an ICU RN.  Truthfully, I doubt what they said was meant in any way to send up flags.  Like JTA2426 said, I'm sure it was just an observation from their assessment. Part of being a good nurse is doing a thorough assessment and that means noting things that may be slightly outside the norm (even if it means little).  Remember, the nurses are with your LO 24 hours a day and are your childs advocate when you aren't able to be there.  Feel free to ask lots of questions when they make observations/comments.  Just like everyone else they have different communication styles. Maybe this RN just isn't the right fit for you.  I had several nurses that really bugged me in some way, be it their communication style of seeming arrogance, but if I loved the way they cared for my little guy and that was more important to me than whether I personally got along with them. Hope things get easier for you and you find a nurse that's the right fit for you and your little one.
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"