December 2013 Moms
Options

Ceiling fan vs. chandelier

DH and I are putting the nursery together and it's time to pick out a light fixture. I've had my heart set on a chandelier from Pottery Barn Kids, but have been reading that having a fan in baby's room reduces the risk of SIDS pretty significantly.

Are any of you using a chandelier or something other than a ceiling fan in your nursery? Would a tower fan or box fan be adequate enough, or should I just start searching for a cute ceiling fan?
photo 3b8889a2-29d1-4e36-a8c8-89262b6154a2_zps44ee5850.png

Re: Ceiling fan vs. chandelier

• Options
    My vote is a ceiling fan! I want DH to put one in our nursery.
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    We're doing ceiling fan.  I had never heard that fact about SIDS reduction, though.  Interesting!
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I vote ceiling fan!
  • Options
    Ceiling fan. I can't sleep without one.

DS #1 born 12.3.13
    BFP #2 09.21.14 EDD: 06.06.15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ceiling fan!! If you live where it is hot there is no question. I couldn't live without one so I can't let the LO.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. We live in Iowa with a nicely air conditioned house, so the ceiling fan isn't necessary to keep the room cool. The research I'm reading about SIDS prevention is what was swaying me.

Now I just need to find a pretty ceiling fan. I wish they weren't so ugly!
  • Options
    Ceiling fans are like baby tranquilizers. Wherever we go DS just stops and stares (and now points) at the ceiling fan. Wish I had one in the nursery but we do t have overhead lights (drives me nuts).
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    EggerkrEggerkr member
    edited September 2013
    @sarahf20, I'm live in Iowa too! This heat needs to go away!
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Options
    Iowa here as well and for sure ceiling fan. Babies love them.
  • Options
    We are doing this in our nursery. I want a chandelier, husband wanted a fan.
  • Options
    I'm having a boy, so definitely no chandelier in the nursery here lol. We did just install a new ceiling fan though. While very pretty, chandeliers just don't offer much functionality IMO... then again, I live in Texas. My bathroom even has a small ceiling fan in it, haha.
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else regarding a ceiling fan. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms.
  • Options
    Eggerkr said:

@sarahf20, I'm live in Iowa too! This heat needs to go away!

Agreed! I have been able to keep the house cool, but my power bill is crazy! The cool weather 2 weeks ago tricked me into thinking it was going to be an early fall. What part of Iowa are you in?

• Options
    I'm another fan of the ceiling fan. Nice air flow and a little white noise!
    haha... I see what you did there... 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Options
    Mills0309 said:

We are doing this in our nursery. I want a chandelier, husband wanted a fan.

We plan on doing something very similar to that one. We looked them up on eBay last night. That one was one I liked, great minds think alike :)
  • Options
    We have a fan. We're actually about to take down the light in DD's room and install a fan. I love fans in bedrooms.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Both are actually good for trussing up the missus.  Just make sure you secure it into a stud.   ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Daisypath Christmas tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"