February 2012 Moms

Mine!...help!

I have no idea when and how Kevin learned the word mine or it's meaning but boy oh boy he knows it and says it with authority. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. We live close to the neighborhood park and whenever we go he spends most of his time trying to block the other children from playing on the slides and such all while shouting mine. I have tried to explain(as much as you can to an 18 month old) that the playground is not only his but for all of the children and we all share. Clearly reasoning with a toddler is no easy task. I just worry because I had another mother say to me at the park the other day, "possesive, huh?" I was embaressed but annoyed by her comment as well. I mean he is only 18 months, he's harmless and I am doing my best to teach him better manners. Anyhow anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions on how to 'fix' this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mine!...help!

• Ug I'm sorry about that mom. :(  I don't really have any advice- just to continue with redirection. The more time I spend with toddlers, the more it is clear that sharing is really, really hard for them and their brains are just not wired to do it. Any other mom should know that! 
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Allison does the same thing.  I'm not sure there is a way to "fix" it...or if there is I haven't found it.  That other mom sucks (unless she was kidding?) and should just keep her mouth shut.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry too much about what other people have to say. He's 18 months old, and this is the age where "mine" starts to happen, and all we can do as parents is do our very best to teach them how to share, and it takes a lot of time and patience. Any mother would know that, and keep her comments to herself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"