August 2013 Moms
Options

West Coasters without AC

I live in San Diego where it's like all the developers forgot AC existed.

I have lived in 7 different places here and only 1 had AC and it was very far east.

Now that temps are in the 80s, even on the coast, what are you and LO doing to keep cool?

Yesterday, I made DH take us all for an errand run and Dd and I just sat basking in the cars AC for 2 hours. I think she and I will be spending most of the day in the car and maybe a store if I'm feeling brave.

Re: West Coasters without AC

• Options
    I live in the valley OMG our ac decided to stop functioning. We been going out to the mall, grocery shopping, or just driving around with the ac on.
  • Options
    While I do have AC I try not to run it all the time (I'm too scared it will get my LO sick). I also live in SD and this heat wave is...terrible. We're just running fans and LO is rolling around the house with only a diaper.

I hope it cools off. I'm miserable.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I live in Seattle, and no one has AC here!! It's very uncommon. I just bought my house last summer and it had aAC and I laughed so hard "when am i going to use that" but thank goodness i had it because being pregnant in the middle of summer sucks! Good luck I hope it cools down
  • Options
    Oh yeah we are coastal LA and no AC. it's been awful!!! But I get why you don't have it here - you really don't need it with the exception of a few days here and there.
  • Options
    SarahRutSarahRut member
    edited August 2013
    I'm in Orange County with no AC. I grew up in TN with 90+ temps and 90+ humidity all summer, so it is amazing to me that we really don't need AC most of the year. That being said, this week is really uncomfortable! I've been sleeping naked on top of the covers with the ceiling fans on high (sorry for the TMI). Yesterday we spent the afternoon wandering Ikea and going to a movie. I'm not sure yet how we'll manage today. Ugh.
    Edited for typos.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I live in Alabama and have lived in the South pretty much my whole life. I never realized some places didn't have AC. It sort of blows my mind!
  • Options
    I live in Seattle and it helps cool the house if you open the windows wide during the night and early morning to get the cool air in then close them shut with the drapes during the afternoon. It keeps the house a little cooler. If it is still unbearable we also have a portable ac where we roll it to each childs room to cool it down before bed. At least they can sleep and we have also bought fans to keep the room cool too.
  • Options
    alykey7 said:

I live in Alabama and have lived in the South pretty much my whole life. I never realized some places didn't have AC. It sort of blows my mind!

I live in Alabama too. We have AC, window units and a fan going most all the time. I don't know what we would do without them!
  • Options

We are in Northern CA about an hour south of San Francisco. Our rental doesn't have AC either, though our heat isn't comparable to So Cal heat at all! DD spends the day in only a diaper and we run the fan. If it gets crazy hot, I have pat her face and arms with a room temp wash cloth and turned off the fan to help her lower her body temp. Her sweat glands just kicked in too, which means even cuddling leaves her drenched.

Are you near San Jose? I live in Redwood City and I made DH drive to like 5 different stores during the June heat wave to find me a portable AC unit for at least our bedroom. He finally found one thank goodness, and the white noise from it totally helps DD sleep at night!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    gnomelygnomely member
    edited August 2013
    I live in Austin and it's 104 today. I grew up near Houston. I can't imagine life without a/c! We might relocate to Seattle in a few months for a job, and the prospect of buying a house without an a/c unit is just mind boggling.

ETA: Sorry, no advice! Though, my boss bought Frogg Togg Chilly Pads for the harvesters (I work at a winery), and it really works. You wet it and it stays perpetually cool/cold. I've thought about getting one to use on DD1 in the car.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Options
    @msspeedymarie I agree. I'm originally from IN and there 80s would be considered cool too. And when it d up to high 60s Midwesterners break out their shorts. Here, we're in boots and hoodies.

I'm definitely a lot more temperature sensitive since I've been here 9 years.

• Options
    Seattle area, here. Some people have ac, most don't. We have a portable swamp cooler but its already so muggy that that would be a bad idea. I tend to just camp out in the living room in my bra and panties (windows covered) with an oscillating fan. Lo lives in just his diaper unless we're going out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    JenGivens said:

We are in Northern CA about an hour south of San Francisco. Our rental doesn't have AC either, though our heat isn't comparable to So Cal heat at all! DD spends the day in only a diaper and we run the fan. If it gets crazy hot, I have pat her face and arms with a room temp wash cloth and turned off the fan to help her lower her body temp. Her sweat glands just kicked in too, which means even cuddling leaves her drenched.

Are you near San Jose? I live in Redwood City and I made DH drive to like 5 different stores during the June heat wave to find me a portable AC unit for at least our bedroom. He finally found one thank goodness, and the white noise from it totally helps DD sleep at night!

DH and I tried to find a portable AC all day yesterday, but no luck. On the bright side, I guess we saved 300 bucks.

• Options
    JenGivens said:

I'm in San Jose! Nice to see some local ladies here. We don't have A/C either. We use tower fans and go to the pool or play with the water table a lot. If its really bad then I head over to my parents' house for the day, even if they aren't home.

• Options
    I live in Ohio and my ac has been set on 69 all summer long even now I couldn't imagine not having it. :-?
    ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • Options
    @chattychiqa we are super close. Feel free to PM me if you want some info on local resources or want to be added to some local fb groups.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"