Dads & Dads-to-be

Need Some Advice - Preemie, NICU Related

Hey dads I'm going to need some advice here, but want to start with the back story.

My fiancee in her last week of pregnancy got really sick. We thought it was just a bug that was going around, or dehydration, as she had suffered dehydration earlier in the pregnancy. After the advice line nurses treated her like trash, we decided that she should drink plenty of liquid and rest. Her next appointment was only three days away.

When we arrived at her appointment, her doctor had her explain what was happening. Headaches, swelling, extreme nausea were just a few of the symptoms, and she knew right away that those are all symptoms of preeclampsia. That in mind, Kaiser moved us over to Portland's referral hospital for high risk pregnancies. That is where my fiancee stayed for the remainder of her pregnancy.

They had her on and off of baby monitors, oxygen, magnesium, and had to have her blood pressure taken every 20 minutes. Finally, on Friday, August 16, we were informed that the baby needed to be delivered by c-section, and at only 24 1/7 weeks. She and I decided that we wanted to do everything we could for her, so she could have a chance at living a good life.

The c-section went well, both baby and mom came out like champions. The doctors and nurses in the NICU had my baby girl, Lillian Vinette, breathing in no time at all. They left me in close and she wrapped her tiny hand around the tip of my middle finger instantly. That was the happiest moment of my life. The next 8 days went extremely well, she even had the doctors and nurses amazed at how well she was doing for a 24 weeker that was two weeks behind in growth. I even got to start kangaroo care on the sixth night, which was absolutely amazing.

In the 8 day, the doctor found signs of necrotizing enterocolitis, so they recommended inserting the tube into her abdomen to drain the waste. She took that better than they expected. They then found a hole in her bowel that was draining into her abdomen. That would appear to be the downward spiral. Unfortunately after a day and a half of fluctuating heart rates, oxygen levels, and increasing gasses in her bloods, her odds weren't looking good. The nurse didn't sugar coat anything when I stepped away from Lillian's bedside to get all of the facts. It was the same nurse that was with me when Lillian was brought into the world. My baby girl kept throwing in the towel and then rallying to not give up. With little else that could be done, at 100% oxygen support, and the meds having increasingly little effect, my fiancee and I decided that enough was enough and that her suffering needed to stop.

My daughter spent 10 strong days on this planet, and impacted a lot of lives. She even brought members of the family closer together, and gave me the courage to tell my drugged out mother that she would not have any part of my or my children's lives. Lillian in our little miracle.

With the back story told, I seek advice from other dads that may have been through similar. My mind is absolute chaos right now, and it is getting increasingly difficult to sleep at night. What have other dads done to help ease the pain?

Re: Need Some Advice - Preemie, NICU Related

• I am so so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure Lillian was just beautiful and will be greatly missed. It sounds like she is lucky to have amazing parents who love her, stayed with her, fought for her, and made the best decisions for her. I agree with apbloye (he's my husband, haha) that it will be important for you and your fiancee to talk about things and for you to both take care of yourselves in whatever ways work for you. Kaiser has grief support groups that could be very helpful: https://northwest-hospitals.kaiserpermanente.org/getting-care/griefbereavement-support

You maybe be able to find an activity to do before bed that could make sleep come easier. For example, writing down all the chaotic thoughts on paper (even if they're disjointed and don't make much sense) can clear your mind enough to drift off. Or watching a favorite funny TV show (the show Friends got me through an awful break up!) or visiting a funny website can be a nice temporary distraction.

Take care!
  • What an incredibly difficult journey for you and your fiancee. I won't pretend to be able to relate to your pain, but as a father I wanted to say that your strength, and that of your wife, is a profound inspiration. You were faced with an impossible situation, and it sounds as if you made difficult choices for all of the right reasons. Your decisions came from love, and in that you should find some peace as time goes on. 

As the two responders posted above, I would encourage you to reach out for professional help. There are good-hearted, trained people who can often help navigate the chaos that arises in the wake of tragedy, and (speaking from experience) finding them sooner than later would likely be of great benefit. My wife and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"