Cloth Diapering
Options

All in ones, pockets, or something like the flip system with covers?

MrsMarie3MrsMarie3 member
edited August 2013 in Cloth Diapering
Hi All, Im new here, but after reading through a lot of the posts, I'm still so confused. I'm expecting in February and have been doing a lot of research on CDs. I'm wondering what style of CD is best? Am I naive to think that I only need one type of diaper? Which do you use/recommend, and why?

Re: All in ones, pockets, or something like the flip system with covers?

• Options

The type of diaper that is best depends on who is changing and the size and shape of your baby among other things.

I did prefolds with covers for the first few months -- not for how great they are at keeping nb poop in -- but because I figured they're the hardest to ruin.  They did survive dh throwing them in the trash rather well. Then I got braver and tried a handful of pockets and Best Bottoms diapers.  Dh loves the BB diapers so that is what we use.  I started using the pocket covers with the BB inserts as well since ds is not a heavy wetter and he almost never wets through the insert.

I was lucky that the daycare he was at (and the daycare I almost placed him at) have no preference for the style of cd.  I have heard some on here say that their daycare will only use AIO or pockets.  I would advise finding your cd friendly daycare now since they can be harder to find/get into.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    We have pockets and flips we use daily. However we use flip covers and prefolds. We use prefolds to stuff. Also we use fitted and wool at night. Ive never used aio. It all depends on what you're looking for. Pockets make most sense to us to added absorbancy and quick wash and dry.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well you aren't naïve to think you only need one kind, lots of people only have one kind. But...the right one kind is different for every family/baby. 

I started using pockets thinking that was the only kind I'd like.  After getting used to CD'ing I decided I might like a few other options for things like travel and night time.  Now I LOVE my AI2s for travel, and fitteds or prefolds with covers at home.  The only time I use my pockets is at daycare and for babysitters. 

If I were to do it all again, I'd stick with NB prefolds and fitteds with PUL covers (Velcro/aplix) for the NB phase.  Once baby got bigger I'd try a couple different brands of each style you think you might like and then sell off what you don't like and buy more of what you do like. 

FWIW for my baby's shape and how our family works, our favorite prefolds are Green Mountain Diapers (GMD) but we also like Imagine brand a lot too.  Our favorite fitted (for night time) is the EcoPosh, and we love Blueberry Coverall covers to go over fitteds and prefolds. For traveling we love Best Bottoms AI2s, and at daycare we like our AppleCheeks and SoftBums pockets.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    It's hard to know what you'll actually like and what will work for your baby until you're actually using the diapers. We went with flats and covers, with a couple of Flips. I thought I would really like the Flips, but I haven't been that impressed. I do really like the flats with Thirsties Duos - so trim and very few leaks and no blowouts, ever.

I bought a pocket diaper because folding flats in the middle of the night (when DS needed a middle of the night change) was hard. Now that he sleeps through the night the pockets (BumGenius 4.0 and Blueberry OS) have been great for adding absorbency and keeping his skin dry, though getting a leak-free fit is harder than I thought it would be. My husband and MIL like the Flips. My mom is like me and likes the flats with covers. It's nice to have a bit of variety in your stash, figure out what you like, and go from there.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, that was very helpful. I'm leaning toward pockets or aio. Both sets of grandparents will be helping with childcare, so that might be easier. But I will definitely plan to try a few early on.
  • Options
    I don't have experience with any other kind, so take my opinion with that rather large grain of salt.  I use AIO OS (BumGenius Freetime) exclusively and have been very happy.  The laundry routine is laughably simple and I love the thought that I'm done buying diapers until he's potty trained (fingers crossed).
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    krwact said:

I don't have experience with any other kind, so take my opinion with that rather large grain of salt.  I use AIO OS (BumGenius Freetime) exclusively and have been very happy.  The laundry routine is laughably simple and I love the thought that I'm done buying diapers until he's potty trained (fingers crossed).

The same! Except we use BG Elementals. I prefer natural fibers. I will say the old style is superior to the new style. So I don't recommend you go buy the new ones which is all you can get from CD stores. The old style you have to go look for in dark alleys. JK places like diapersswappers or eBay.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"