Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Virus that just will not stop!

Last Monday my LO woke up with a fever. She has been sick ever since. Her fever would come and go but would also spike up to 104.5 at times. Her throat swelled but that was the only real symptom other than the fever and just not feeling well. We did blood work and her CBC showed low white count and low platelet count and the doc said it suggested a viral infection. Today she is covered in a rash and her lymph nodes are swollen. All of her lymph nodes. Armpits, groin, neck. Her fever has come and gone twice today so far. They checked for a UTI and mono but both were negative. We are repeating her blood work next week but she has a history of swollen lymph nodes. Any one else deal with a prolonged virus/fever? I am just worried that it has lasted so long. I know that it sometimes takes awhile for them to rebound but she hasn't gotten any better at all. She doesn't eat much but is taking fluids well. She has already lost 2 pounds, which would be no big deal but she is below the 10th percentile already. She is 21 pounds at 21 months. Just starting to get alittle nervous.

Re: Virus that just will not stop!

• Options

Sounds like Roseola to me.  Google it to see if rash matches.  My LO is going through it as I type.  She had a high fever for 2-3 days, fever broke last night for good and all of a sudden today, boom- her belly and back covered in a rash this afternoon.  I called the on call nursing really confused because we were in the dr office this past wed and they did all the same tests as they did on your LO and they couldnt tell me anything other than "something viral".  You cant really blame them since they cant diagnose it until the rash shows up!

The rash is pretty harmless and usually means the fever is over! You're almost there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"