Baby Names

Nicknames you like more than the actual name?

We have two names on our long list that we actual prefer the nn over the full name. So much so that I would consider actually using them instead of the full name. Normally I am a fan of giving a more formal option but not always. How about you? Are there any names you would consider using despite it being more of a nickname? Does it matter to you?

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
~DD Born! 2013~
~DD due! 2015~

Re: Nicknames you like more than the actual name?

• I'm a pretty big advocate for just using (some) NNs. I like Kate more than Catherine; Maggie more than Margaret; Tillie more than Matilda (but not more than Tallulah, not that that's a normal formal name for Tillie, anyway); Andie more than Andrea; Sasha more than Aleksandra; Hank more than Henry; Jack more than John.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've never understood the "we're naming the baby Mary but calling her Molly" nn thing. If you're going to call the baby by the nn, then give it that as a name.. I name my children what I want them to be called.. But I know I'm in the minority here.
  • Loading the player...
  • My first name is Jennifer, but I have never gone by that. Jenny fits me much better, but I'm still happy that I have a more "formal" option, too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • And why would one call Mary Molly? That just doesn't make sense to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I personally like Rosie a lot more than Rose.
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• Well my son is Xander, not Alexander.
  • I think Archie was mentioned here the other day. Archie's great, but the full names (Archibald, Archer) just don't seem as nice to me.
  • DH and I are currently in this debate about the name Edward/Eddie. I am a supporter of naming children what they will be called but a few months ago 2 of DH's SILs (without knowing about our naming preferences) had an in depth discussion about how a name like Bobby, Eddie, Ricky, Billy, etc seems 'white trashy' without the formal name.

DHs full name is a NN and it has never been a problem for him so the SILs may have to bite their tongues in the future.

• mh89mh89 member
    I love love the nn Evie but haven't found a formal name for it that I love as much (Evelyn, Evangeline, and Genevieve are ok). Since we couldn't find a good formal name for Evie we had to scrap it. :(

I say in most cases give the kid a proper long name, though there are always exceptions.
    image image

• If we had a boy we were gonna name him John but call him Jack. The reason we werent naming him Jack, was John was for DHs dad (he is still alive but we wanted to honor him) but we wanted to use a NN for him. And later he can decide what he wants to go by..we had a girl but in the future this is still an idea.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I like the name Lexi but Alexis is too close to my nieces name, Alexandra. Not sure if I could do Lexi as a stand alone
  • I love Ben, but don't care for Benjamin.

Funny you should mention this, I was thinking of his name yesterday. I am okay with Benjamin, but do not like Ben. However, I LOVE Benny. As for people who use weird nns, I work with a whole family of people who do that. The dads name is Don, but he goes by Mick. His son is Jeremy but they call him Jake. I have no idea where they get those from but whatever.

Funny you should mention this, I was thinking of his name yesterday. I am okay with Benjamin, but do not like Ben. However, I LOVE Benny. As for people who use weird nns, I work with a whole family of people who do that. The dads name is Don, but he goes by Mick. His son is Jeremy but they call him Jake. I have no idea where they get those from but whatever.
    I know a Benny and a Benji, and I love both of those nick names. Benny is actually the one man's given name. He's in his 60s, and very much a professional, so it's definitely not too cutesy (as I suspect some people may say).

I also like Bennett at least as much as Benjamin.

Anyway, DD is Elinor nn Nora. I really wanted to name her Nora, but we were honoring DH's grandmother, and he felt strongly about using Elinor as her given name. I really like the name Elinor, but I *love* the name Nora.

I also like Sadie as much or more than Sarah. And I like Tille as much or more than Madilta.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• inthelostinthelost member
    edited August 2013
    I love love the nn Evie but haven't found a formal name for it that I love as much (Evelyn, Evangeline, and Genevieve are ok). Since we couldn't find a good formal name for Evie we had to scrap it. :( I say in most cases give the kid a proper long name, though there are always exceptions.
    I had the same problem...I love evie but didn't like any of the formal names for it and didn't want to name her evie alone so I scraped it too. :(
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• I love Evie, but I can't get on board with Evelyn and Evangeline (which are both pretty names, just NMS).
    ✯             ✯              ✯          ✯               ✯     ✯             ✯         ✯     ✯          ✯                   
  • I like Kate and Jack more than Catherine and John.
  • It's not my normal style, but for some reason I adore Ned.  But I have a negative association with Edward and am not all that fond of any other Ed- name (Edmund, Edwin...)
    Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

• There are a lot of NNs I prefer over FNs. I always think it's weird when people name a baby something but never intend on actually using the full name anyway. That said, it really depends on the name, like I love Kate, Luke, Jack, Nora but there are some NNs that sound too kiddish to use forever.

• My daughter is Kate. We didn't like any of the longer names, and we knew we were going to call her Kate, so that's what we named her. 
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I love Millie!
    I really am a fan of more formal first names, however and so we tried. We both did not like Mildred, Millicent, Amelia, or Kamila. So we dropped it. I still find it utterly adorable. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • I love Sadie, dislike Sarah.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • Also--Tony is one of my favorite names, but I'm not a big Anthony/Anton/Antonio fan.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • I love Daisy and only like Margaret. However, I would never name a DD just Daisy.
    I feel nicknames exist for a reason and find it really strange when a person has an obvious/well known nn as a fn like Johnny or Ellie. IMO, it never hurts to have options and having an obvious nn as a fn limiting.
    Also, I, as the parent, would be sick of explaining to each new person that my DD's name, Ellie, wasn't short for anything.

• I like Winnie so much more than any longer name it could come from. 

But based on my personal experiences, I would never name a girl a nickname name.  There are certain professions that it is hard enough to be taken seriously as a woman without having a diminutive name.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well my son is Xander, not Alexander.
    I couldn't think of any, but I actually am on board with this one - I like the name Xander much better than Alexander.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Max and would consider using it, but Im not a fan of any of the formal names to get Max as a nn.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • We just named our DS2 Drew, not Andrew. We just don't care for the full name. I struggled with it a bit and got mixed reviews about it on here, but now that he's here I'm happy with the decision! Drew fits him so well and I like that its a little unexpected.
  • Xander over Alexander
    Drew over Andrew
    Eli over Elijah
    Luke over Lucas

I'm not a fan of really formal names in general. They sound so "old" to me.
  • I loooove the name Evie so much, but hate Evelyn.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"