C-sections

Question!

So I'm pretty sure I'll need a c-section. This is my first pregnancy,  and I placenta previa. Doc said it could go away, but she said I might not be able to give birth naturally.

So for those who have had a c-section, how long were you in the hospital? How long was recovery? Anything concerning?

Thanks gals!

Re: Question!

• I was in the hospital 3 days after my c-section.

Recovery takes a little longer.

I'm sure you've read on other posts but ask nurse for a belly binder- helps give you support when standing/getting in/out of bed/walking around with the baby and such.

Also comfy clothes--  nothing too tight. I had a lot of low rise underwear, and it would lay right on my c-section incision. I had to go out and buy some high waist ones.
  • I had my twins on a Thursday morning and was released on Monday morning.  This last c/s was on a Monday and I left on Wednesday but it was a special circumstance.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • All of my children were born via C-section.

I had previa with #4 and your stay should be about 3-4 days without complications.  With previa, you are more likely (I am not saying you are going to!) to bleed heavily after your section, so your stay may be a little longer.

When I had #3 I delivered on a Friday afternoon and went home on Sunday morning.

• Insurance companies will pay for upto 4 days for a standard c section with no complications. With my first I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. I was almost climbing the walls. I left after two days. This time I may stay longer just to give myself some extra down time. I have a 2 year old that will want mommy to be mommy and may not understand. I also healed very quickly and had a very easy recovery with my first. Be sure to let them know as soon as you decide you are ready to skedaddle. It took the nurses 5 hours to discharge us. I was ready to walk out. I know they have to do their job but I could not look at those four walls for another minute!

• Lucas was born at 3:11am Saturday morning (unplanned after 17 hours of labor) and we went home around 6:00pm Monday evening. My doctor gave me the option of staying until Tuesday but I was so ready to get out of there!

As for recovery, I felt a bit better every week that went by. By about 6 - 7 weeks I was feeling almost back to normal other than a few pains here and there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I had DS on Tuesday morning and was discharged Saturday. Had the option to leave on Friday, bu opted to stay bc of breastfeeding and also ds's jaundice. Recovery has been ok. I'm almost 4 weeks pp. still having a little pain, but getting better each day.
  • I had DD on a Thursday evening at 10:45. I discharged on Sunday afternoon. I was ready to go home, and DH was anxious to have us both at home. Once I arrived home, I began to feel so much better. I am now 9 days PP, and I am getting along good. Still in the recliner to sleep, but will probably be back in my own bed in another couple of days. I miss sleeping next to my hubby. I am also off my hydrocodone, just taking the naproxen. Just do not rush yourself

• I went in on a Wed for an induction which failed so I had a c-section on Thurs evening just after 5pm and was discharged on Sun.  My doctor did ask if I wanted to go home Sat but I felt like I needed another day so I stayed.  I agree with the high waisted underwear as most of the underwear I had sat right on the incision.  Try getting up and walking at least a few times a day although just getting out of bed was a feat for a couple of weeks.  You don't know how much you use those abdominal muscles until you have major surgery and every movement reminds you of it!  Take the pain meds they give...that's why they give them!  I used the Percocet regularly for about the first week then switched off with that and Ibuprofen.  The surgery itself isn't bad...you will feel some tugging/pressure but it IS NOT painful and if it is then you need to let the anesthesiologist know so he can fix it!  He is your friend...he will be right next to your head the entire time so he is easily able to be told "hey this is hurting".  I did vomit from the meds but he fixed that very quickly.  Relax and everything will be ok!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The other thing I would add is that the percocet (serious pain medication) can make you really groggy.  I didn't realize it would do that.  My daughter was in the NICU and by the time I made to visit her, I would doze in and out and need to go back and rest.  Once I lowered my dose and then stopped taking it, it improved.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"