Attachment Parenting
Options

Baby Wearing Question

Hello Ladies I'm just dropping in to ask a baby wearing question.  My lo is 5mo and I front wear him in an ergo.  He is ebf and we cosleep so he likes to be held.  It's getting tough to wear him around he house because he's getting bigger and I just can't get anything done (housework, chasing a toddler, etc) without banging his head, I want to try back wearing him occasionally but have never done it.  He sits supported but not independently, is it okay to back-wear at this stage?  Also, is an ergo good to back-wear in?  I really can't afford another carrier right now.  If you back-wear, is it easy to get the baby on, or do you get help from someone to get lo in/out of the carrier?  Sorry if this sounds stupid.  I usually just do what's comfortable but I can no longer just sit around with him all day and I'm nervous about trying him out on my back where I can't see him.  I'm also don't want to just lay him down and let him cry.  He does lay down alone for very short periods and naps but that's it.
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby Wearing Question

• Options
    The Ergo booklet says that you should use the back carry position only "when your baby has strong and consistent head and neck control, and hips and legs open naturally into a spread position."  I would think that at 5 months, most babies are at that stage and can be carried on the back.

I only used the front carry position for DS until he was like 8 months. The back carry position may work for you and your LO, but I don't really like it yet. You can't tell what they're doing in the back carry position, and it's not as "snuggly."  I have been unable to get DS on my back without help, but honestly I haven't done it much.

It was at about 5 or 6 months that DS started to want to be down more and held less.  Once he was able to sit up solidly without support and play with toys, it became a lot easier because I didn't have to hold him all the time.  There's the "golden stage" where they can sit up independently and play, but they are not yet mobile.  I miss those days! 

What about putting your LO in an infant chair/seat/swing where he can explore toys/things with his hands?  Would your LO tolerate that for a little bit? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mb314 said:
    The Ergo booklet says that you should use the back carry position only "when your baby has strong and consistent head and neck control, and hips and legs open naturally into a spread position."  I would think that at 5 months, most babies are at that stage and can be carried on the back.

I only used the front carry position for DS until he was like 8 months. The back carry position may work for you and your LO, but I don't really like it yet. You can't tell what they're doing in the back carry position, and it's not as "snuggly."  I have been unable to get DS on my back without help, but honestly I haven't done it much.

It was at about 5 or 6 months that DS started to want to be down more and held less.  Once he was able to sit up solidly without support and play with toys, it became a lot easier because I didn't have to hold him all the time.  There's the "golden stage" where they can sit up independently and play, but they are not yet mobile.  I miss those days! 

What about putting your LO in an infant chair/seat/swing where he can explore toys/things with his hands?  Would your LO tolerate that for a little bit? 

Thank you!  I think physically he is at the right stage in development to try it.  I guess I was wanting someone to say, "we back wear all the time, it's super easy and great!"  That way I would be more comfortable with trying it.  He will sit in his exersaucer, bumbo, and bouncer calmly for 5-10 min maximum before he very strongly insists I pick him up.  I was hoping to be able to occupy him for about 30 min at a time.  I'm sure he will be sitting independently within the next month maybe he will be more likely to be left down a little longer at that time.  Thank you for your help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We back wear all the time. My dd is 10 months and I probably started regularly back wearing her at around 7 months. She is my first baby and I am sure I will start back wearing much sooner when we have number two as I will have a toddler to chase and I'm already comfortable with a baby on my back.

There is a bit of a learning curve figuring it out- at first I had my husband spot us- but now it is super easy to get her on my back. Mowing what I know now I would have started earlier. Every morning making breakfast I wonder how I would get by without my carriers.

There are tons of YouTube videos that will help for putting baby on your back. Good luck!
  • Options
    Little dude is almost 5 months. I have back carried a couple of times in the boba (I think the ergo is very similar). It was fun but I was super nervous since I couldn't see him. I practiced getting him in over the bed. It still feels awkward but ill keep trying it. I put the carrier on one shoulder backwards with baby on opposite hip. I put his near leg in the leg hole and pull him onto my back as I bend slightly forward. Then I position his back square over mine and pull up the other shoulder!! HTH
    IVF/ICSI #1 July/August 2011 BFP # 1 - B/G twins - preterm labor/cervical incompetency @ 23w3d FET # 1 March/April 2012 - BFN 5/1/12 FET # 2 July 2012 - BFN 7/24 FET # 3 BFP! EDD 5/15/13 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    After watching the instructional video on the ergo website, I started back-carrying around 4-5 months. I can do it on my own, but it takes a bit of practice. I love back carrying and vacuuming. Instant nap. :)
  • Options

Thanks everyone :)

I tried back carrying him twice since posting and it was pretty easy to get him in and out.  My bed is in front of a mirror so I just put him on the bed while I snapped the carrier on then watched myself in the mirror as I put him in it and brought the straps up.  He didn't seem to mind it but it felt awkward and made me a little nervous not being able to see him,  I kept going back to the mirror to get a peek at him lol.

I was definitey able to do more with him on my back. I decorated my 2yo's baday cake while wearing him and I don't think I could've done something needing so much precision with him on my front.  It's working but I don't think it will be my go to position for wearing him unless I just need to get some stuff done, I just like front wearing him better.

I appreciate the help :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"