October 2012 Moms
Options

SD's in trubbbb-elllllllll!!

stephcarterstephcarter member
edited August 2013 in October 2012 Moms
Today my SD (almost 10) downloaded and became slightly addicted to some SIMs game on her ipad. She had a few gift cards loaded up on there, but blew through them a few weeks ago buying Kids Bop albums. We've told her over and over again not to make a purchase without coming to us first. Well while I was working today she came downstairs with her iPad and said, "Look I think the game is broken. I don't have any money left on my giftcards and its letting me buy stuff" She showed me that she was buying coins in her SIMs game. A package of coins that cost $99.99! Multiple times!! Well DH's credit card is on there and because her gift cards ran out, the purchases were placed on his account. $395.28!!!! DH called the bank and they told him there was nothing they could do and told him to call Apple. Thankfully they refunded the money but he won't see it for 5-7 business days. 

Needless to say, she's grounded. 

Re: SD's in trubbbb-elllllllll!!

• Options
    Oopsies! We have been working on the concept of money with my stepsons (which is not working at all) so since they aren't getting it we take away the things they like when they do something they aren't supposed to. What did your stepdaughter say? Does she understand?
  • Options
    @ChrisG83 she understands. It would be totally different if we didnt tell her over and over again not to buy things. When we asked her why she did it anyway her response was "I forgot". Lately that's her excuse for everything and DH and I are so over it. She has the I do what I want/my way or no way/always right mentality.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @piffle42, i'm sure it doesn't. I really do believe that she thought that maybe there was a glitch in the game and she was buying the stuff without paying for it. Its the fact that we have told her so many times not to make purchases that made us so mad. 

i'm still in shock apple refunded us. 

• Options
    @piffle42, I'm sure my kid is far from the only one who's done this before. It's so easy, press a button and voila! I removed DHs credit card info from the account and turned off the in-app purchases option too so it won't happen again.

@mbm1983, that sounds like a rough job. Reminds me of the episode of full house when Michelle was calling Japan!

DH played his video game and calmed down a bit, but DD is still grounded. By grounded, I mean no ipad or TV. My moms definition of grounded was much worse. Hahaha.

• Options
    stephcarterstephcarter member
    edited August 2013
    Laura, we set her up her own account because she face times and messages her grandmother and her best friend a lot and every time someone tried to FaceTime her my phone would ring too. We know the password, but so does she. We also gave it to her so she could download free apps, which I had no issue with.

Lesson learned.

ETA we also got her her own account because she was taking up my icloud space

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"